This year, I’ve decided to keep things simple, natural, and sustainable with natural and DIY Christmas gift ideas. That includes a few select wooden toys for the younger kids that will (hopefully) last for generations. We also focus more on experiences than material gifts (for the most part).
There are so many great gift options for DIY homemade gifts, and I hope that others will consider joining me in gift-giving this way. Below are a few of my favorite handmade gift ideas and some suggestions for some simple gift baskets. Whether it’s under the Christmas tree or as a stocking stuffer, handmade Christmas gifts are an easy way to love on your friends and family.
Why Make DIY Christmas Gifts?
Modern society is flooded with stuff everywhere. We’ve been told that piles of toys, jewelry, and other goodies from Santa are what make the holidays. Thoughtful gifts, like easy DIY projects, not only save money but are a simple way to make Christmas more special.
And if you don’t have time for homemade gifts, it’s nothing to beat yourself up over. Spending quality time with loved ones is the important thing. If you’re looking for some last-minute gifts to buy, then check out my gift-giving guide for the whole family. I’ve also got a ton of great ideas for gifts for women in this post.
I’ve divided some of the homemade Christmas gift ideas by type of person (grandparents, kids, men, etc.), so you can easily find something for everyone on your list. There’s a lot of crossover though, and some DIY projects in one category may be perfect for someone else on your list.
While you’re making some homemade gifts, why not make your own Christmas decorations too? You can find inexpensive home decor at the local thrift store or make your own. This DIY garland is made from natural materials like pine, cranberries, and dried oranges. Or try this tutorial for a burlap garland with ribbon and twine. I’ve also made some of these burlap wreaths to decorate our front door.
And we can’t forget the Christmas cards! Every year I bribe the kids into matching outfits for our Christmas photo that goes on our annual Christmas cards. If you’re a crafter then some homemade Christmas cards are also a nice touch.
Now onto the DIY Christmas gift ideas!
DIY Gift Ideas For Men
Treat your man with holiday gifts he’ll love, from food gifts to homemade body care. The perfect gift doesn’t have to be crazy expensive or complicated. Whether it’s for grandpa, dad, or your significant other, these easy DIY Christmas gifts are just the thing.
- Herbal DIY aftershave recipe
- Spiced essential oil soap for men
- DIY men’s lotion recipe with essential oils
- Homemade beard oil
- Men’s deodorant
- Sriracha sauce recipe
- Sweet and smoky BBQ sauce
- Skin nourishing massage oil (gift to your significant other along with the promise of some massages!)
- Pain relief lotion bars – perfect for aches and pains from age or working out.
- Shaving soap recipes
- Hot honey recipe
- DIY fleece-backed t-shirt quilt (uses up sentimental T-shirts gathering dust!)
DIY Christmas Gifts for Grandparents
Many of these Christmas crafts are simple enough for the kids to make for grandma and grandpa. There are also some DIY beauty recipes that are great for mature or drier skin types.
- Relax sore muscles with these natural detox bath recipes
- Crochet or knit Grandma a cozy scarf or hat
- Homemade Christmas ornaments from the kids make a great keepsake
- Reusable rice heat packs make great hand warmers. Lay it across the neck to ease tense shoulder and neck muscles
- Salt dough ornaments painted by the grandkids
- A picture frame with a drawing or painting from the grandkids in it
- Stovetop potpourri mix in a mason jar
- Shea butter lotion bars
- Anti-aging rosehip seed oil facial moisturizer
- Bakuchiol serum for mature skin
- Hot chocolate jar gift – add the dry ingredients from this hot cocoa recipe to a mason jar. Attach a cute label that gives the proportions of the wet ingredients to add (butter, milk, and sweetener).
- DIY canvas photo print – a perfect personal gift of a favorite photo for a loved one. A sophisticated and artistic looking canvas, but DIY to avoid the photo lab price tag
- Cracked heels salve
- Have the kids help make DIY snow globes with their pictures inside
- Drawer fresheners
DIY Christmas Gifts for Women
Your child’s teacher, your mom, your best friend… here are gifts that women will enjoy this holiday season. While you’re at it, don’t forget to make some extra for yourself!
- Lavender peppermint bath salts
- Sugar cookie lip scrub
- Gingerbread body scrub
- Mulled wine – put the mulling spices in some tins or a nice bag and gift it along with a bottle of healthy wine
- Adaptogen chocolate truffles
- River rock acupressure mat
- Healing lip salve
- Tinted lip balm
- Homemade lipstick
- Lip balm locket
- Luxurious sugar scrub recipe (use peppermint and it smells like peppermint bark!)
- Herbal face oil
- Silky niacinamide moisturizer
- Beach waves natural hair spray
- Homemade dry shampoo
- Luxurious lotion recipe
- Whipped body butter recipe (like velvet on the skin)
- Bronzing lotion bars
- Hydrating hyaluronic acid serum
- Coffee under eye cream
- Vitamin C and witch hazel facial toner
- Eyelash growth serum
- Vitamin C serum
- Rose bath melts
- Coconut milk bath
- Vanilla mint chocolate massage butter
- Frankincense face cream
- Shea butter eye cream
- Cleansing grains
- Chai sugar scrub
DIY Christmas Gifts for Kids
It depends on your child’s age and gender, but in general, here are some fun DIY gifts for the kids. The little items also make great stocking stuffer ideas!
- Bath bombs
- Herbal tea blends (delicious and health-boosting) along with a cute mug they’ll love
- Homemade marshmallows
- Homemade fruit snacks (aka gummy bears)
- Chocolate mint candies (like Junior mints)
- Natural DIY eyeshadow that’s subtle but fun to use
- Lotion bars are a great way to moisturize without the mess
- Homemade deodorant bars – great for teens!
- DIY crayons with natural pigments
- Homemade gluten free playdough
- Bubble bath
Health-Related Gift Ideas
- Homemade magnesium oil – great for improving sleep, energy, hormones, and more
- Healing clays – for masks, internal use, and more
- Coconut oil – because there are 100+ ways to use it!
- Homemade tooth powder recipe – helps sensitive teeth
- DIY remineralizing toothpaste
- All-natural vapor rub
- Homemade healing salve – like Neosporin but natural
- Homemade buckwheat pillow eye mask
- Relaxing pillow spray
- Calming sleep lotion (great for kids!)
- Or, if you’re really motivated, you could put together an entire herbal first aid and natural remedy kit
Gifts for a Healthy Home
- Natural air freshener spray
- Reusable food wraps
- Room freshening pumpkin spice spray
- Linen spray
- Homemade beeswax candles
- DIY reed diffuser (gift the oil in a separate bottle with a lid)
- Wool dryer balls
Edible Christmas Gift Ideas
Instead of sugar-filled candy canes and drink mixes, gift your loved ones some homemade food items. Who wouldn’t want a cute hand-packed box of homemade truffles?
- 14 homemade herb and spice blends
- Homemade Za’atar seasoning
- Healthy delicious chocolate recipe
- Chocolate dipped coconut macaroons
- Coconut cream recipe
- Healthy chocolate truffles
- Chocolate coconut butter cups
- Himalayan salt
- A jar of homemade pickles
- Adaptogenic chocolate truffles
- Gochujang paste
- Kombucha starter and instructions
- Sourdough starter, instructions, and some delicious homemade sourdough bread
- Water kefir and instructions
- Homemade dog treats
- Cat treats
- Make Christmas cookies with holiday cookie cutters, like a snowman or stars. Put them in a cute gift box for an easy (and tasty!) gift. This paleo sugar cookie recipe looks good (I’d just skip the icing).
Gift Basket Ideas
Gift baskets are great for family members, co-workers, or friends. They’re simple enough to put together but look impressive. Be sure to choose a cute basket or tote for your assorted items and arrange them as desired! Browse through the categories above for options to put in your customized gift basket, or choose from the ideas below.
Herbal Teas Basket
Spa Gift Basket
Create your own spa experience with a DIY spa gift basket. There are tons of ideas above for what to put in it. I like adding some bulkier items like sugar scrubs, lotions, and foot scrubs to help fill the basket out.
Natural Baby Basket
- Some or all of these natural baby care recipes
- Foaming baby wash
- DIY cloth baby bibs
- Baby balm skin cream
- Homemade baby powder
- Homemade baby wipes
- Teething remedies
- Colloidal oatmeal bath to soothe skin
Mom-to-be or New Mom Basket
- This stretch mark salve helps prevent stretch marks
- Homemade magnesium oil to help with nausea and afterpains
- Healing clays for “pregnancy mask” or itchy skin
- Red raspberry leaf tea to tone the uterus
- Pregnancy tea for nutrients and to help with pregnancy complaints
- Homemade healing salve for perineum healing post-baby
- Headache relief stick for pregnancy headaches
- DIY Remineralizing Toothpaste for strong teeth during pregnancy
- Healthy delicious chocolate (of course!)
Do you make any homemade gifts? Any ideas to add to the list? Share below!