I’ve been making natural lip balm, lipstick, and chapstick recipes for years, although it took me a while to actually get it to the point of a recipe. Typically I would just eyeball the ingredients, which shows you how easy this recipe is to make!
This homemade lipstick recipe mimics a creamy, full coverage lipstick and packs plenty of color. However, if you aren’t a fan of colored lipsticks, you can make this recipe without any added color options to achieve a basic natural lip chap.
That’s the beauty of making your makeup from scratch, like my DIY eye shadow, is you can make it exactly the way you like it!
Why Homemade Lipstick?
Wondering why you’d take the time and trouble to make your own natural makeup?
Surprisingly, conventional lipstick can be a source of harmful chemicals and since it is used on the skin (lips) and near the mouth, these chemicals can be easily absorbed. These homemade lipstick variations let you create a personalized lipstick color that is chemical-free and inexpensive to make.
Also, homemade just means more! Give these as an inexpensive but thoughtful gift at holidays or birthdays that friends and family are sure to enjoy.
Customizing Your Perfect Natural Lipstick Color
To get the hue in the picture above, I used a tiny pinch of beetroot powder (1/8 tsp or less), 1/4 tsp cocoa powder, 1/8 tsp bentonite clay, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, and a drop of peppermint essential oil (just because I like the smell). Jump to the recipe for other color customization options, all from natural colorants.
If you like a darker shade, just add a little more cocoa powder after mixing to darken slightly until you reach your preferred tone.
Now let’s get into the recipe!
Natural Tinted Lipstick Recipe
This recipe makes a moisturizing tube lipstick with a good amount of pigment and coverage. For a lighter, glossier look, try this tinted lip balm recipe.
Homemade Lipstick Recipe
Optional Color Add-Ins
- For Red Hues: 1/8 teaspoon of beet root powder or 1 drop of natural red food coloring with no chemical additives. NOTE: Add these very slowly as a little goes a long way!
- For Brown/Tan Hues: 1/4 teaspoon or more for color of organic cocoa powder, a tiny pinch of cinnamon or turmeric to get the shade you want
- For a more matte texture: 1/4 teaspoon bentonite clay- I use this with a color so it doesn't leave a white tint on the lips.
- For scent: A drop of essential oil of choice optional
Homemade Lipstick Instructions
- Melt the beeswax, shea butter/cocoa butter and coconut oil in a glass jar without a lid in a small pot of simmering (not boiling) water. It should melt quickly because so little of each ingredient is used.
- When melted, remove from heat and add any optional ingredients like color or scent.
- Once all ingredients are mixed well but still liquid, use a dropper to pour into the lip chap container. I used the glass dropper from an old tincture bottle. Fill just below the top as it will expand slightly as it cools. Leave to cool for at least half an hour.
More Natural Makeup Recipes
- Natural Mascara Recipe – Easier to make than you’d think! It took many tries to perfect this recipe, but now I finally have it down to a science. 🙂 Nutures healthy lashes too!
- DIY Natural Blush Make-up Tutorial – For a fresh, natural glow, try this homemade blush recipe. I also love this creme version.
- Natural Liquid Foundation Recipe – Natural foundation can be pricey! Make it for so much less (and even customize it to your own skin type.)
- Natural Concealer & Highlighter Recipe – We all need a little extra coverage sometimes. Make this natural concealer for undereye or acne prone areas.
Ever made your own cosmetics? How did it go? What hue would you make of this recipe? Share below!