Are you tired of your eyes looking, well…tired? You’ll find plenty of conventional eye creams that promise more youthful-looking skin. However, this DIY shea butter eye cream delivers the naturally protective benefits of shea butter, without a hefty dose of harmful chemicals on the side.
Skipping harmful ingredients is just one benefit of choosing a homemade eye cream over storebought. Let’s look at some of the drawbacks of conventional undereye creams.
The Problem With Most Eye Creams
Conventional eye creams work by temporarily constricting blood vessels or coating the skin in a film to artificially tone it. This might perk your eyes for the day but not deliver skin-deep results.
In contrast, shea butter penetrates with anti-inflammatory compounds (cinnamic acid), natural vitamins, and deeply moisturizing fatty acids for results over the long term.
Also, unlike other formulas, this eye cream doesn’t contain any water. While water-based creams make your skin feel moisturized at first, they end up drying out the delicate undereye area. A waterless eye cream also has a much longer shelf life (and is easier to make!).
The Benefits of Natural Shea Butter Eye Cream
Studies show shea butter naturally stimulates collagen production to increase skin firmness. This can improve the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes. Even better, it helps reduce inflammation to combat puffiness. You’re also getting a nourishing dose of vitamins A and E for healthier skin.
I also add coconut oil to this shea butter eye cream recipe. Coconut oil is also fabulous for skin since it’s rich in lauric acid and essential fats. Not only does it boost circulation to clear up undereye circles, but it keeps connective tissue strong and supple. This means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
Finally, we add a few other skin-soothing ingredients:
- The beeswax in this recipe prevents moisture loss that can cause wrinkles.
- Rosehip seed oil is very nourishing for aging skin. Since it’s a dry oil, it helps to reduce the overall greasy feel of this eye cream.
- To finish it off, we’re using geranium essential oil for its ability to help diminish wrinkles and inflammation and clear up dark circles.
DIY pro tip: Also try my DIY under eye cream made with coffee!
Other Anti-Aging Natural Recipes
Warning: Once you see how well they work (and how much money they save!), you might become addicted to making your own natural beauty products! These are some of my favorite easy-to-make recipes and beauty tips:
- Luscious Lashes Eyelash Growth Serum
- Anti-Aging Rosehip Seed Oil Facial Moisturizer (Better Than Botox)
- 5 Types of Facial Massage for Naturally Beautiful Skin
- 8 DIY Face Mask Recipes You Can Make at Home
Shea Butter Eye Cream Recipe
- If you prefer glass, use these 2 oz round jars.
- No beeswax? Substitute with extra shea butter. The result will be softer but still nourishing!
- You can also use this as a natural eye makeup remover.
- As with anything that’s not specifically for the eyeball, do NOT get this into your eye!
Have you ever made an eye cream? What are your favorite ingredients to use? Share below!