Today I’m talking with Dr. Nick Bitz, a Naturopathic doctor who specializes in Ayurveda and a leader in the natural products industry. He’s an expert in nootropics, anti-aging, botanical medicine, clinical nutrition, and dietary supplements. Our talk today centers on aging, what causes it, what cellular senescence is, and how we can have a healthier aging process.
Nick shares his thoughts on how simple things like regular exercise, especially strength training, sunlight, and fasting can all play a key role in slowing aging. There are 9 hallmarks of aging and the newest one, cellular senescence is a fascinating topic that we go deeper on. The emerging research behind it looks at how our cells replicate, die, and are eventually replaced with new cells. Nick shares how we can better help our body deal with these senescent cells and what happens if we don’t.
We also cover how to optimize our protein intake, how to get healthy skin from the inside out, and other topics related to healthy aging. There’s a lot of actionable information in today’s episode and I hope you’ll join me as I talk with Dr. Nick Bitz!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Nick Bitz
- What to understand about aging and the multiple theories of what contributes
- Why aging might be a slowed ability to adapt
- The three main theories of aging and how understanding them can help you slow it
- What to look at and test as a baseline to determine aging
- What the nine hallmarks of aging are: telomeres, DNA mutations, epigenetic changes, senescent cells, etc
- Cellular senescence: the process by which cells age
- Compounds that can help improve the body’s ability to deal with senescent cells
- Healthspan vs lifespan
- How fasting comes into play with aging and senescent cells
- Why exercise battles all aspects of aging (especially strength training)
- How early morning sunlight impacts hormones, sleep, and aging
- Interesting research around chlorophyll and aging
- The importance of leucine and how to get it
- Things we are doing that are speeding aging (some might surprise you)
- What senolytics are and how to dose them (Quercetin, Fisitin, etc)
- Why senolytics in large doses every couple of months can be beneficial
Resources We Mention
- Neurohacker (Use code wellnessmama for 15% off)
- Neurohacker Senolytic (Use code wellnessmama for 15% off)
- Can Intermittent Fasting (Skipping Meals) Make You Healthier?
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
- Grace and Grit: Spirituality and Healing in the Life and Death of Treya Killam Wilber by Ken Wilber
More From Wellness Mama
- 509: Dr. Hillary Lampers on Longevity, Aging Gracefully, and Her Hunting Podcast
- 459: Suzanne Somers on a New Way to Age (Focused on Cellular Health)
- 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- 455: Gin Stephens on the Real Deal About Intermittent Fasting for Women
- 540: Dr. Stephen Cabral on How to Lower Your Biological Age, Live Longer & Look Younger
- 506: Dr. Daniel Kalish on Aging, Mitochondria, Hormones, and Longevity
- 437: Dr. Ted Achacoso on Health Optimization Medicine, Nootropics, & Anti-Aging
- 546: Dr. Trevor Cates on Hormones, Skin Health, and Aging Gracefully
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers & My Personal Experience
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.