I’m here with my friend, Dr. Trevor Cates, and she’s the author of the book, “Clean Skin from Within” and founder of the Spa Dr. natural skin care line. She was the first woman licensed as a naturopathic doctor in the state of California, and was a doctor in several world-renowned spas in Utah. She helps women from around the world with the focus on skin and hormones and she is been featured extensively on TV. She’s also releasing a new book this year, as well as a series online, a docu-series that really goes into how to fix hormone and skin problems from the inside out.
In this episode, we go deep on the funny story of why her mom gave her a man’s name, the hormone, skin, and gut connection, and why it goes much beyond just acne. We also talk about how hormones change throughout life, throughout the month, and even with the seasons, how insulin affects skin and hormones, and why acne does not exist in some places in the world. She also shares the skin signs that are the first warning signs of hypothyroidism, the link between stress hormones and eczema, and her biggest tips for eczema, acne, and aging, as well as what to look out for in skin care products, and the ones you really want to avoid. So, we get through a lot in just one episode and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Trevor Cates
- Why her mom gave her a man’s name (funny story)
- The hormone and skin connection and why it goes much beyond just hormonal acne
- How hormones change throughout life, each month and even with the seasons
- Insulin and how it affects skin and hormones
- Why insulin increases sebum and androgens and can lead to acne
- The reason there are some places in the world where acne does not exist
- Skin signs that are the first warning signs of hypothyroidism
- The link between stress hormones and eczema
- Her biggest tips for eczema, acne and aging
- Skincare ingredients to avoid as much as possible
- The endocrine disruptor hidden in many types of skincare products that doesn’t have to be listed
- Sunscreen ingredients to watch out for that can speed up aging and create other problems
- How to balance getting sun and outdoor exposure with protecting skin from aging
- Her four pillars of healthy skin for life
- Why she doesn’t think birth control should be used for skin and hormone help and the better options shed recommend
Resources We Mention
- Busting Myths & Balancing Hormones Docuseries
- Clean Skin from Within: The Spa Doctor’s Two-Week Program to Glowing, Naturally Youthful Skin by Dr. Trevor Cates
- Natural Beauty Reset: The 7-Day Program to Harmonize Hormones and Restore Radiance by Dr. Trevor Cates
- Spa Dr. Natural Skin Care
- The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine by Joseph Pizzorno N.D. and Michael T. Murray
More From Wellness Mama
- 307: Anti-Aging Skin Science From the Inside Out With Dr. Emilia Javorsky
- 266: Decoding Skin Health, Eczema, Acne, and More With Jennifer Fugo
- 156: Natural Ways to Improve Skin With Andy Hnilo of Alitura Naturals
- 308: How to Use Your Hormones to Your Advantage With FloLiving
- Natural Remedies for Acne
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Dr. Stephen Cabral and his 21-Day health challenge. Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off? Or tired of trying fad diets and juice cleanse only to be disappointed by the outcome? Dr. Cabral has worked with thousands of people on this and knows that the only way to finally lose weight and get well is by removing the underlying root cause holding you back. Your liver filters all of the blood in your body every 6 minutes, but with the influx of toxins in our environment, our livers cannot keep up and our bodies have no choice but to store these toxins away in our fat cells, organs, and even our brain so they are not floating around in our blood stream. Over time this toxic buildup begins to cause symptoms of poor health and eventually can lead to all types of diseases in the body. The Dr. Cabral detox is a comprehensive, full body Functional Medicine detoxification system that gently eliminates harmful toxins while rebalancing the body at an underlying root cause level. Benefits of the 21 day detox include: Decrease bloating & puffiness, lose weight & speed up metabolism, rebalance your hormones, reset healthy inflammation levels, get clearer skin, enjoy healthy blood sugar levels, increase energy, improve sleep, and strengthen digestion. This is your chance to hit the whole body reset button and get guaranteed results. Purchase a 21 Day Detox at $100 off or a 7 Day Detox at $20 off at stephencabral.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my personal care company focused on creating safe and natural products that nourish your body from the outside in so you can feel great about your family using them. I’m so excited about our best-selling mineralizing toothpaste that now comes in three different options: original mint, charcoal and strawberry (a kid favorite). Unlike most toothpaste, ours doesn’t have a poison control warning because it only contains ingredients that are safe and beneficial to your oral microbiome and to your tooth enamel. It’s centered on hydroxyapatite, which is a naturally occurring mineral used in tooth enamel, with things like aloe, neem and green tea to support optimal oral microbiome balance in the mouth. Our thousands of happy customers tell us how much fresher their mouths feel and how their teeth keep getting whiter and stronger naturally. Check out our toothpaste and all of our products at Wellnesse.com.