Today we’re talking all about aging gracefully, or more specifically, appreciating the gifts that come with age and limiting the downsides. I’m here with Suzanne Somers, who you might remember as one of America’s most popular and beloved TV personalities. You may remember her as Chrissy Snow in “Three’s Company,” and from there she launched into a multifaceted career that has spanned more than three decades.
What you may not know is she’s authored 27 books, including her latest, A New Way to Age. Suzanne’s been conducting exclusive interviews with doctors and scientists who are experts in some of the most cutting-edge anti-aging treatments and supplements. The idea is to work not just on a cosmetic level, but on a cellular level.
I really enjoyed this interview, especially getting to talk to her about the mindset of aging, how certain hormonal treatments specifically really helped her through menopause and beyond, and how this affects us and our children even far in advance of menopause. It was a joy to talk to her!
Episode Highlights With Suzanne Somers
- Why she feels that life is about chapters and why she’s happier now than she’s ever been
- How Suzanne would like to transform the regular narrative about aging
- What she learned about hormones as you age and how this profoundly affected her life
- The drastic statistics about aging in today’s world
- Why we are seeing such a rise in brain-related diseases
- The importance of protein and why she doesn’t recommend a plant-based diet
- When to consider bioidentical hormone therapies
- Simple lifestyle changes that support graceful aging
- A 30-day detox that changed Suzanne’s life
- What to look for in natural beauty and cosmetic products (and what to avoid)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Suzanne Somers
- A New Way to Age and other books by Suzanne Somers
- Suzanne’s Facebook (follow her for weekly Facebook Live chats)
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok
More From Wellness Mama
- 458: Dr. Marcella Madera on Neurosurgery, Cell Medicine, TBIs, and Anti-Aging
- 437: Health Optimization Medicine, Nootropics, and Anti-Aging With Polymath Dr. Ted Achacoso
- 346: Sulforaphane: The “Broccoli Molecule” That Slows Aging, Fights Cancer, & Boosts Immune Health With BrocElite
- 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 452: Esther Blum on How to Navigate Menopause Without All the Negative Symptoms
- 312: What to Expect & How to Prepare for Menopause with Dr. Lyla Blake-Gumbs
- Natural Remedies for Menopause: How to Reduce Hot Flashes & Other Menopause Symptoms
- My Favorite Health Apps for Mind, Body and Hormones
- 10 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
Do you have tips for growing older gracefully? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, a company reinventing the idea of soda! It’s no secret that most things we think of as soda aren’t great for your body with the massive amounts of sugar and added artificial ingredients. Olipop is a new kind of soda that tastes just like the sodas we grew up with, but unlike the others, it is packed with natural ingredients that are good for you and that help keep your gut happy too! They have delicious nostalgic flavors like Vintage Cola, Classic Root Beer, Orange Squeeze, Cherry Vanilla and Strawberry Vanilla. Strawberry is my current favorite but I really enjoy all of their flavors.
They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. They are so confident that you will LOVE their products that they offer a 100% money back guarantee for orders placed through their website. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. Olipop can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse – my all-natural personal care line. Our whitening toothpaste is a mineralizing blend of natural ingredients that supports oral health naturally. It’s based on the original recipe I developed over a decade ago, and has been through almost a hundred iterations to create the best natural toothpaste available. Many types of toothpaste contain ingredients you might find in paint and that you certainly don’t want in your mouth, but ours is enamel friendly and oral biome friendly to keep your teeth and gums happy all day long! Check out the whitening toothpaste and all of our products, including our natural “hair food” haircare at Wellnesse.com