I am back today with a repeat guest, Dr. Stephen Cabral, and we talk about how to lower your biological age, live longer, and look younger. And he gives a whole lot of really evidence-based ways to do this. And if you haven’t heard his first interview, I’d highly recommend it. But the short version is that he started experiencing a lot of health complications at age 17, saw over 50 different doctors, tried 100 treatment protocols, and still wasn’t getting any better. And then this began his research into alternative health and how he became well again and his whole entire recovery process. And that was when he knew that would be his life’s work as well.
He completed his doctoral work overseas and he studied with the top doctors, hospitals, and clinics in India, Sri Lanka, China, Europe, and many other places as well. And now his work is helping many others benefit from this knowledge as well. In this episode, we talk about how he read several books a week, fascinating new research in ways to live longer, and we go deep on a lot of these. He talks about the Big Rocks Theory of Longevity, how to pay attention to and interpret what all-cause mortality in research means, how we can reduce our chance of dying early by 80% by doing only four things, the one thing that increases cancer risk by over 4,000%, his surprising take on alcohol, how loneliness is one of the biggest risk factors in health, and why genes play less of a role than we think. And so much more! He’s a wealth of knowledge, and he explained things so clearly. I know that you will enjoy this episode.
Episode Highlights With Stephen Cabral
- How he reads several books a week
- Fascinating new research on ways to live longer
- The top four causes of death: heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer
- Big rocks theory of longevity
- How to pay attention to and interpret “all cause mortality” in research
- Preventable vs non preventable causes of mortality
- How we can all reduce our chance of dying early by 80% by doing only four things
- One thing that increases risk of cancer by over 4000%
- The movement metric that reduces all cause mortality by 17% (it’s easy)
- His take on alcohol and if it is harmful in the long term or not
- The times you might want to consider reducing alcohol and guidelines for safety if you drink
- Why loneliness is one of the biggest risk factors and those highest in emotional loneliness are at highest risk for early death
- How big of a role genes play in longevity (less than you think)
- How to use time restricted eating, fasting or caloric restriction for longevity
- Why fasting too much or restricting calories too much can reduce muscle and lead to fat
- The importance of balancing caloric restriction or TRE with strength training
- How sauna is the closest thing to a silver bullet we have for health and is an exercise mimetic
- The sauna protocol that decreased cardiovascular risk by 63% (19 minutes minimum)
- How sauna use 4-7x/week reduces all cause mortality by 40%
- What research says about supplements for longevity and anti-aging
Resources We Mention
- The Cabral Concept Podcast
- His website
- Huberman Podcast
- The Rain Barrel Effect: How a 6,000 Year Old Answer Holds the Secret to Finally Getting Well, Losing Weight & Feeling Alive Again! by Stephen Cabral
- Life Force: How New Breakthroughs in Precision Medicine Can Transform the Quality of Your Life & Those You Love by Tony Robbins
- Internal Family Systems
More From Wellness Mama
- 236: Facts vs. Myths About Blue Zones & Ways to Increase Longevity
- 398: Sauna Use to Increase Lifespan, Improve Thyroid, Detox Safely, and More With Sauna Fix
- 217: Do Saunas Work? Understanding the Benefits With Sunlighten Founder Connie Zack
- 538: Dr. Satchin Panda on Time Restricted Eating to Reduce Body Fat and Metabolic Syndrome
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Better Help, a company making private professional therapy affordable and available anywhere. In the last few years, I’ve realized first hand just how important it is to address the inner/emotional side of health, and Better Help is making this easier than it’s ever been my matching you with your own professional licensed therapist uniquely suited to help your specific needs. It’s not a crisis line or self-help, but professional counseling done securely online. It’s more affordable than traditional counseling with financial aid available. Since it’s online, you can connect with your counselor anytime without sitting in a waiting room or having to drive to an office. They have professional counselors who specialize in depression, anxiety, trauma, sleep, relationships, anger, grief, family conflicts and more and it’s available worldwide. As a listener, you’ll get 10% off your first month by visiting BetterHelp.com/wellnessmama. Join over 1 million people who have taken charge of their mental health.
This episode is brought to you by LMNT. LMNT contains a science-backed electrolyte ratio: 1000 mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 60mg magnesium. With none of the junk. No sugar. No coloring. No artificial ingredients. No gluten. No fillers. It turns out that a lot of us aren’t getting enough salt and LMNT is my personal solution to this. Athletes, any of us who use sauna, people who follow a low carb or paleo type diet, and moms (especially during breastfeeding) have an increased electrolyte need and electrolyte deficiency or imbalances can cause headaches, cramps, fatigue, and weakness. LMNT was co-founded by my good friend Robb Wolf when he was looking to increase his athletic performance, and it now has thousands of avid fans including Olympic athletes, pro athletes, special forces teams and moms and families around the world. I drink LMNT almost every day to support my workouts and hydration levels and my favorite flavor is definitely watermelon. As a member of our community, LMNT has a very special offer for you. Claim your free LMNT Sample Pack – you only cover the cost of shipping. Get yours here: DrinkLMNT.com/Wellnessmama.