Today’s episode is in response to a number of questions, and even pushback, I’ve gotten about the idea of women fasting. Intermittent fasting expert Gin Stephens is here to talk specifically about what the research says about if women should do this and how to do it in the best way possible.
We really dispel some of the myths that have been perpetuated about women and fasting, and talk about the way that it can be not just safe but extremely beneficial for women as long as it meets certain criteria.
Make sure to check out her books, Fast, Feast, Repeat, and Delay: Don’t Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle. They’re some of the best books I’ve read on the topic!
Episode Highlights With Gin Stephens
- Why intermittent fasting isn’t just another way to restrict calories or eat less
- The reason our bodies need a break from constantly digesting food
- What autophagy is and why it’s so important, especially for women
- The insulin connection with fasting, and how to use this to your advantage
- What beverages are and are not ok during a fasting window and why
- What happens during a fasting window that leads to anti-aging effects
- The way to figure out your fasting window and dial in your timing
- What it means to “fast clean” and how to do it
- The three goals of fasting, and how to make sure you accomplish them
- The all-important question: can you drink coffee on a fast?
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Gin Stephens
- Books by Gin Stephens
- Delay, Don’t Deny Social Network
- Delay, Don’t Deny Facebook Group
- The Obesity Code
- Mindset: The New Pyschology of Success
- Article: New England Journal of Medicine, Summary of Effects of Intermittent Fasting
- Zero app for fasting/tracking
More From Wellness Mama
- 201: Understanding Fasting & Keto for Women (Even During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding) + Instant Pot Tips
- 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- 255: Dr. Valter Longo on a Fasting Mimicking Diet and Increasing Healthspan
- How to Use the Fasting Mimicking Diet to Get the Benefits of Fasting (Without Skipping Food!)
- My Favorite Health Apps for Mind, Body and Hormones
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers & My Personal Experience
- Can Intermittent Fasting (Skipping Meals) Make You Healthier?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by BLDG Active Skin Repair products. From diaper rash to knee scrapes and sunburns, with families, there is always something skin related going on. Active Skin Repair harnesses the power of the human body, by replicating the same molecule your white blood cells produce to create a natural antimicrobial. It fights off foreign organisms like bacteria, fungi and viruses and helps support your body’s natural healing process of skin irritations. It’s an all-in-one 3oz solution that can replace all those bulky toxic first aid and sanitizing products like Neosporin, peroxide and alcohol. In addition, unlike other plant based balms, Active Skin Repair’s hero ingredient, HOCl is backed by years of scientific and clinical research using the same FDA cleared, medical grade molecule used in hospitals worldwide. It’s also produced in California in an ISO certified clean room using a proprietary formulation to make sure you get the highest-grade product available. Learn more at wellnessmama.com/go/active.
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop natural sodas. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health. 90% of Americans consume more than the USDA’s daily recommended added sugar intake (30g). Sweetened beverages (like soda) are the leading source of added sugars in the American diet. Olipop is much (much) lower in sugar than conventional sodas with only 2-5 grams of sugar from natural sources. No added sugar. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. OLIPOP can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.