Today I’m sharing a little bit more about my parenting style and what it’s like raising 6 kids. I realized early on in this journey that once I figured out how to parent one child, that meant I figured out just how to parent that one child. While each child (and family) are unique, these are the processes and guidelines that have worked well for us.
I’ve actually been working on a parenting book that draws from my past 16 years of experience as a mom. While that can sometimes be an outside of the box approach, I’m completely okay with my children being different. It’s certainly been a growing process, and I’m not at the end of the road yet, but hopefully, my approach will give you some insight and inspiration for your own family!
Episode Highlights From Katie
- Why and how our family created a family culture
- The importance of having kids be proud of themselves (versus me being proud of them)
- How my parenting style is unique and based on “first principles parenting”
- What radical self-sufficiency is and how I don’t do anything for my kids that they can do themselves
- Ways we encourage them to eat healthy and provide nutrient dense meals for our kids, but we allow them to make their own food choices
- Why I have very few rules and rarely use the word “No”
- The verbal contract we have with our kids on having their own phone and/or car
- The tools we give our kids to help them process, understand and feel their emotions
- Why I highly encourage my kids to ask and answer questions and to always ask better questions
- Why I never used “Because I said so” as an answer to my toddlers
- Our family traditions and what we do now
- How we value experiences instead of gifts
- What Unstitute is and how I developed the school curriculum for our kids
- How 10-20 minutes of one-on-one time with each child can make a difference
- What I want my kids to remember about me and their childhood
- It Didn’t Start With You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Positive Parenting Solutions
- Ben Greenfield Podcast
More From Wellness Mama
- 360: Four Questions to Change Your Life & Doing The Work With Byron Katie
- 344: Get Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Yelling, or Losing Control With Amy From Positive Parenting Solutions
- 424: Amy McCready on Navigating Virtual School, Homework, & an Unpredictable School
- 544: Amy McCready on 5 Hard Truths About Parenting (& Steps to a Calmer Home Life)
- 390: How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kids for Success With Julie Lythcott-Haims
- 545: Mariah Sage on Enjoying Parenting and Releasing Mom Guilt Through Simple Shifts
- 364: Mindset Strategies to Survive and Thrive as a Homeschooling, Working Parent With Carrie Husse
- My Parenting Rule to Foster Independence (& Save My Sanity)
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe is Actually Harming Them
- 46 Ways to Give Experiences Instead of Stuff This Year (Even Last Minute)
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Kion. Let’s talk about Amino Acids for a minute. On Episode #561, I talked about how Kion Aminos are the ultimate protein hack. To truly understand just how important amino acids are for your diet, think about your body and what it’s made of. You probably already know that it’s mostly water. What you probably don’t know is that everything else in your body … is 50% amino acids. These building blocks of life are essential for health and fitness. This is why KION AMINOS is my fundamental supplement for fitness. I drink them every day for energy, muscle, and recovery.
Kion Aminos is backed by over 20 years of clinical research, has the highest quality ingredients, no fillers or junk, undergoes rigorous quality testing, and tastes amazing with all-natural flavors.
So, if you want to naturally boost energy, build lean muscle, and enhance athletic recovery … you need to get Kion Aminos. You can now save 20% on monthly deliveries and 10% on one-time purchases. Just go to getkion.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is brought to you by Inside Tracker. I’m loving this because we now have access to more data about our health than we ever had. But sometimes it’s hard to know what to do with all the data. And that’s why Inside Tracker provides you with a personalized plan to build strength, speed, recovery, and optimize your health for the long haul based on your own data. It’s created by leading scientists in aging, genetics, and biometrics. And Inside Tracker analyzes your blood, your DNA, and your fitness tracking data to identify where you’re optimized and where you’re not. You get a daily action plan with personalized guidance on the right exercise, nutrition, and supplements for your body. And when you connect Inside Tracker with your Fitbit or your Garmin, you’ll also unlock real-time recovery pro tips after you complete a workout. It’s like having a personal trainer and a nutritionist in your pocket to interpret all that data and give you recommendations that are best for you. And for a limited time, you can get 20% off everything in the Inside Tracker store. Just go to Insidetracker.com/wellnessmama.