Calling all parents… this episode is 100% dedicated to you! Today I’m having a heart to heart with Amy McCready, creator of Positive Parenting Solutions, on the subject of kids, discipline, and peaceful parenting. She is here with some priceless wisdom to help us figure out how to get our kids to listen without nagging or yelling (or losing control ourselves).
Amy will take us through the 7 steps of her Parenting Success System, a course I’m taking right now along with reading her books If I Have to Tell You One More Time and The Me, Me, Me Epidemic.
You’ve probably seen Amy on the Today Show, CBS This Morning, CNN, Fox & Friends, MSNBC, Rachael Ray, Steve Harvey, and The Doctors, so I’m super honored to have her here. I think you’ll be able to tell her greatest joy is helping moms and dads become the parents they’ve always wanted to be.
Let’s jump in!
Episode Highlights: Positive Parenting Solutions
- How to use one-on-one mind, body, and soul time to drastically change your relationship with your kids
- Strategies for getting kids to listen and get things done without nagging or yelling
- The when/then system that takes the fight out of housework
- Navigating autonomy vs. responsibility with older kids
- The ways to help kids get homework and schoolwork done without a fight
- How natural consequences can make kids happier and your life easier
- A phrase that helps diffuse a power struggle or argument
- How much time a child needs to feel connected (less than you think)
- And more…
Resources We Mention
- Positive Parenting Solutions
- The Me, Me, Me Epidemic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Capable, Grateful Kids in an Over-Entitled World by Amy McCready
- If I Have to Tell You One More Time: The Revolutionary Program That Gets Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Reminding, or Yelling by Amy McCready
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Dr. Carol Dweck
- How to Talk So That Kids Will Listen and Listen So That Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
More From Wellness Mama
- 341: Q&A With Katie: Motivation, Magnesium, Homeschooling & Parenting Teens
- 303: Gabby Reece on Parenting, Creating Strong Relationships, and XPT
- 289: Stoic Wisdom for Modern Life and Parenting With Ryan Holiday
- 268: Tildet Varon on Positive Parenting & Effective Family Communication
- 197: The Opposite of Being Spoiled: Raising Financially Responsible Kids With Ron Lieber
- 230: Chalene Johnson on How to Protect Your Mindset & Live a Balanced Life
- 206: Your Parenting Mojo on Why We Need to Let Our Kids Take More Risks
- My Parenting Rule to Foster Independence (& Save My Sanity)
- 9 Important Skills We Owe It to Our Kids to Teach Them
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
- How to Balance Business and Family Life (& Succeed at Both)
What’s your hard-won parenting advice? Has your approach changed over the years? Please let me know below in the comments or leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think, and your review helps other moms find the podcast.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, a company I’ve loved for years for their superfood mushroom based products. They use mushrooms like lions mane, chaga, cordyceps and reishi in delicious products. Did you know that mushrooms are more genetically similar to humans than plants are? And that they breathe oxygen and exhale CO2 just like we do but mushrooms spores can survive the vacuum and radiation of space. These amazing fungi are always a part of my daily routine in some way, usually with Lion’s Mane Coffee or Matcha in the morning, Plant protein and mushroom elixirs like chaga and cordyceps during the day and reishi at night to wind down. As a listener of this podcast, you can save on all Four Sigmatic products. Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and the code wellnessmama gives 15% off.
This episode is sponsored by Everlywell, at-home lab tests that you can get without a doctor order! I’ve used many of their tests and can recommend a couple that have been especially helpful. They have an at-home allergy test for 40 of the most common allergens using the same CLIA-certified labs used by Allergists/Doctors. The labs are reviewed by an independent physician and measure IgE levels of common allergens including pet dander, mold, trees, grasses, and more. I also really like their food sensitivity tests that test for IgG reactions. This was a big key for me in my health recovery, as there were foods that didn’t show up as an allergy that were causing inflammation. I used an elimination diet, but this food sensitivity test also filled in the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Through healing my gut, I’ve been able to remove all sensitivities except for eggs. Finding out I was highly sensitive to eggs made a huge difference for me, as I ate them often as an inexpensive protein source. I feel so much better now that I don’t eat eggs and I would never have known that without this test! I also use their at-home Vitamin D test to keep an eye on those levels. Check out all of their tests at wellnessmama.com/go/everlywell. Use code MAMA10 for 10% off orders.