I’m here today with Byron Katie, one of my favorite authors and speakers on the topics of mindset, parenting, and about a million other things. She is the author of many books including Loving What Is, I Need Your Love – Is That True?, A Thousand Names for Joy and, A Mind at Home with Itself.
In this episode, Byron Katie takes us back to 1986, at the deepest point of her 10-year battle with depression. Then she woke up one morning with the joyous realization that she could choose to challenge and transform her thoughts rather than suffer because of them.
Through this self-realization, she developed a simple and powerful process of self-inquiry and found her path to joy. She calls it “The Work” and has shared her ideas with millions of people over the last 30 years.
Come join us for a deep conversation about how doing this kind of work can help us even in the toughest aspects of our relationships, our parenting, and even our health.
Episode Highlights With Byron Katie
- How Byron Katie found joy and contentment without changing anything but her thoughts
- The Four Noble Truths and how to apply them to any religion or mindset
- How thoughts can create suffering (or stop it)
- The questions to ask yourself for deeper self-awareness
- Ways to recreate a difficult relationship
- How to teach your children but also give them freedom
- Steps for discovering and recreating beliefs that hold you back
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 350: The Three Pillars of Healing to Become Your Best Self With Danette May
- 315: Mindfulness for Moms With Ziva Meditation’s Emily Fletcher
- 311: Getting Unstuck From Self-Sabotage With Erin Pheil of MindFix
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 230: Chalene Johnson on How to Protect Your Mindset & Live a Balanced Life
- 214: Using Mindset and Personalization to Make Lifelong Health Changes With Dane Johnson
- 166: Understanding Autoimmunity & the Mind/Body Connection With Body Belief Author Aimee Raupp
- Why Balance Is a Moving Target & How I (Sometimes) Hit It
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress Starting Now!
- Why We Really Procrastinate (It Isn’t Laziness)
- My Favorite Health Apps for Mind, Body and Hormones
Do you examine your thoughts and beliefs? Will you try any of Byron Katie’s tips? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Alitura skincare. This a company founded by my friend (and previous podcast guest) Andy, who formulated these products to heal after a horrific accident left him with scars on his face. He mixed some of the most nutrient dense ingredients on the planet to create truly natural products that feed and benefit the skin, leaving it nourished and in my experience, hydrated and younger looking. I know from talking to Andy that he has literally gone all over the world to source some of these ingredients and is meticulous about testing them for quality and finding the combination that works the best. Even the name, Alitura, means feeding and nourishing in latin. My personal favorites are the mask and the gold serum, but all of their products are great. Here’s a tip with the mask… mix with apple cider vinegar instead of water for an extra boost and to deep clean pores. I use the mask a few times a week and I use the gold serum at night and after sun exposure to keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Check out these and all of their products at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off and free shipping.
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv Red Light Therapy. Like many of you, I am always trying to find different ways to keep my wellness routine in check. I’ve noticed some of the things that are most helpful to me are practicing daily gratitude, a no-phone rule one hour before and after bed, eating healthy and exercising, and if you’ve been listening to me for a while now, getting in my light therapy sessions. I’ve told you before about why I personally love Joovv before: the skin and hair benefits are awesome and I find that I recover faster from soreness after working out. Joovv is my preferred red light therapy device because it has a patented, modular system that lets you build as you go so you can find a way to fit it into your budget. They have full-body devices (Joovv Elite & Duo) and you can keep connecting these pieces together to make it as big of a device as you like. They also have a Desktop model (Joovv Mini), which is great for travel or for spot treating. Remember, when it comes to natural light modalities, bigger is better for optimal benefits, which is why their modular system is so unique. I wanted my listeners to know they offer exclusive discounts on larger devices when you upgrade your system within the first year of your initial purchase. Their unique modular design lets you build a larger, full-body system over time, and their bundle pricing ensures you’ll pay only what you would have paid if you bought the larger system from the start. Find out more at joovv.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama for a free gift.