Carrie Husse is the editorial mastermind behind the content on Wellness Mama and a homeschooling mom of three. She made the jump from a career in print book publishing to serve as managing editor at Wellness Mama and we’re all forever grateful that she did!
Like my family, Carrie and her husband both work from home in addition to homeschooling. It hasn’t always been an easy road, but at this point she’s addicted to building a flexible, out-of-the-box life where family and career go hand in hand. Reading, traveling, and learning as a family are always at the top of her priority list, as well as keeping up with her ever-growing suburban homestead.
It’s our hope this conversation can at least help lessen the learning curve for so many families in a time of great change.
Resources We Mention
- Carrie Husse LinkedIn & Instagram
- LoonlingLearning/GreenFire Gardens
- Article: Finding the Bare Minimum in Your Homeschool
- Kids Cook Real Food e-course
- Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head by Carla Hannaford, PhD
- 201 Relationship Questions: The Couple’s Guide to Building Trust and Emotional Intimacy by Barrie Davenport
- Cook Once, Eat All Week: 26 Weeks of Gluten-Free, Affordable Meal Prep to Preserve Your Time & Sanity by Cassy Joy Garcia
- The Wellness Mama Cookbook
Carrie’s Favorite Homeschool Picks
- Catholic Schoolhouse
- This Is Me, The Me I Choose to Be: Mindset Stories to Empower Your Child
- Layers of Learning Series
- Draw the World Series (Geography)
- Bare Books
- Little Story Creator (app for journaling/digital scrapbooking)
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Teaching From Rest: A Homeschooler’s Guide to Unshakeable Peace by Sarah Mackenzie
- Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything by Laura Grace Weldon
More From Wellness Mama
- 401: Rethinking Education to Set Our Kids Up for Success With Jesse Elder
- 341: Q&A With Katie: Motivation, Magnesium, Homeschooling & Parenting Teens
- 340: My Son Talks Entrepreneurship, Homeschooling, Sustainability, and His Cookbook Chef Junior
- How to Improve the Vestibular System with Sensory Swings & Activities
- 6 Favorite Practical Homeschool Resources (My Kids Love)
- How to Set up a Homeschool Classroom
- How to Create a Homeschool Schedule That Works
Do you work and homeschool? How do you balance it? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Alitura skincare. This a company founded by my friend (and previous podcast guest) Andy, who formulated these products to heal after a horrific accident left him with scars on his face. He mixed some of the most nutrient dense ingredients on the planet to create truly natural products that feed and benefit the skin, leaving it nourished and in my experience, hydrated and younger looking. I know from talking to Andy that he has literally gone all over the world to source some of these ingredients and is meticulous about testing them for quality and finding the combination that works the best. Even the name, Alitura, means feeding and nourishing in latin. My personal favorites are the mask and the gold serum, but all of their products are great. Here’s a tip with the mask… mix with apple cider vinegar instead of water for an extra boost and to deep clean pores. I use the mask a few times a week and I use the gold serum at night and after sun exposure to keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Check out these and all of their products at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off and free shipping.
This podcast is brought to you by Cacao Bliss, a delicious superfood drink created by previous podcast guest, Danette May. Many of us like chocolate, and certainly nothing feels better than being able to enjoy rich creamy chocolate and knowing that you’re doing something good for your body. But that isn’t the case with every type of chocolate. When it’s sourced well, chocolate and especially cacao can have many health benefits. It’s a great source of magnesium, can be very anti-inflammatory and even help balance hormones. In fact, some experts speculate that this is why we crave chocolate at certain times of the month. Cacao Bliss is one of the best sources of this that I have found. They start with 100% organic cacao beans that are naturally dried in the sun, maintaining their miraculous health benefits. And then they blend this with turmeric, MCT oil, coconut, sea salt, cinnamon, and black pepper. So not only does it taste delicious, but it makes you feel incredible as well. The result is this truly decadent healthy, but guilt-free chocolate that helps with cravings, it can be great for weight loss, for boosting energy, reducing inflammation, all in one simple drink that has become a relatively regular part of my life. And for those who are wondering, it is paleo, gluten-free, keto, vegan and vegetarian safe. They have been making this for eight years. I’m a big fan. And as a listener of this podcast, you get an automatic 15% discount by going to earthechofoods.com/wellnessmama and you will have an automatic 15% discount. It’s automatically applied.