This next episode in my short series is all about protein. I’ve gotten a lot of questions on this topic, like what’s the difference between amino acids and protein, and how much protein do we need? As with everything diet related, how much we need and how to get it is very individualized.
But today I’m covering some details on what protein really is, what it does in the body, and why we need it so much. I’ll also talk about the difference between complete and incomplete proteins. Personally, this is something where I’ve noticed a big difference in my stamina and energy levels when I get enough protein.
Plus I’ll go into the benefits of supplementing with essential amino acids (EEA) and creatine, an EEA derivative. I’ll also share the best ways to make sure you’re getting enough protein and when’s the best time to focus on eating it (hint: not at supper!). Muscle health directly relates to longevity and overall health as we age, so it’s something I’ve really been focusing on.
I hope you join me as I cover my key takeaways on getting healthy protein!
- To start off, what is protein, and where it’s found (and used) in the body
- Why I eat higher protein and what health benefits I feel
- How the nine essential amino acids play a role
- What is the difference between a complete protein and an incomplete protein and examples
- What creatine is and what the research says
- How skeletal muscle is strongly correlated to longevity and the ways to increase this (resistance training and consuming enough of the right kinds of amino acids)
- We might also need more protein in times of recovery from injury or illness, especially broken bones
- How we’re more likely to under-consume protein, versus over-consume it, in the U.S.
- What the possible downsides are of eating too much protein, without enough fiber, carbs, and fat
- The question to ask: How much protein and how to get enough in your diet?
- How Protein Supports Your Muscle Health, with Dr. Gabrielle Lyon and Chris Kresser
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 612: Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on Muscle-Centric Medicine, Eat Your Protein, and How to Train Better
- 564: Chris Kresser on Nutrient Deficiencies & Why the Way We Think About Health Needs to Change
- Protein Bulk Meal Planning Ebook
- LMNT – Electrolytes
- Kion Aminos and Creatine
- Iconic Protein Powder (use code wellnessmama15 for a discount)
- Paleovalley beef sticks
- Paleovalley protein powder
- Bulk Supplements Creatine Monohydrate
- Join me on Patreon
More From Wellness Mama
- 561: Angelo Keely on Essential Amino Acids and Eating More Protein!
- 562: Dr. Chad Walding on Collagen, Protein Consumption and Staying “On the Path”
- 394: The Carnivore Code, Plant Toxins, and Optimal Protein With Dr. Paul Saladino
- 387: Ask Katie Anything: Protein, Supplements, Sleep, Parenting, and Shoes
- 352: How Protein Improves Metabolism and Health With Billy Bosch From Iconic Protein
- 613: Diana Rodgers on Meat Myths and Why Animal Products Are Vital for Humans to Thrive
- 631: The One About Oils and Fats – Short Episode
- Guide to Healthy Protein Sources
- Protein-Packed Crepes Recipe (With Cottage Cheese)
- How to Choose a Clean Plant-Based Protein Powder