When I tell people vegetable oils aren’t the healthiest option, it raises some eyebrows. That’s putting it mildly. In today’s short episode, I’m going into a somewhat detailed summary of fats and oils. Which ones are “good,” which ones are “bad,” and why even those terms are misnomers.
There’s definitely some nuance on the subject, but in general, when I say vegetable oils I’m referring to highly processed modern oils. These include corn, soy, canola, and safflower oils. I cover why they’re higher in omega-6 fatty acids, why we still need these fatty acids and better sources.
We also talk about how the obesity rate has developed since these oils were introduced in the 1970s. I’ll tell you which types of essential fatty acid sources I focus on and why. And we’ll touch on oil sourcing, personal genetics, and other factors that help determine which oils we choose.
I’ll wrap it up by telling you what fats I personally use and recommend. So let’s dive in and learn all about healthy (and not so healthy) fats!
- What oil and fats are, why we need them, and how much we need of each
- Humans can have different needs for different types and certain amounts of fat, depending on genetics
- Examples of vegetable oils and why I personally avoid them
- The difference between unsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats
- What I eat as my main sources of dietary fat: olive oil, avocados, and fish oil
- The difference between Omega-3’s and Omega-6’s and what the dietary ratio should be
- Tips to reduce your Omega-6 intake and where you’ll most likely find this in your foods
- Defining what a vegetable oil is
- The truth behind how canola oil is made and processed
More From Wellness Mama
- 626: The One All About Protein and Amino Acids – Short Episode
- 508: Simon Hill on Plant-Based Eating, Saturated Fat, and Personalized Nutrition
- 276: Tony Kasandrinos on What You Need to Know About Olive Oil
- Why Saturated Fat Is Not the Enemy (& Why We Need It)
- The Importance of Omega-3 Fish Oil (& The Best Way to Get It)
- Omega-3 vs Omega-6