This podcast is all about how to improve your energy and energize your life by understanding chronotypes, body types, sleep, fasting, movement, and a lot of other aspects. I’m here with sleep doctor Michael Breus, a double board-certified clinical psychologist and clinical sleep specialist. He’s also one of the few people in the world to pass medical boards without going to medical school.
The last time he was on the podcast, we talked specifically about sleep, but in this episode, we talk about the different energy types and ways to increase your energy, the way movement affects energy, and how it’s different at different times of day, and his top tips for many aspects of life.
It’s always a fascinating episode with Dr. Breus and I know you’ll enjoy this one.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Michael Breus
- How he passed the medical boards without going to medical school
- Why he is now doing specialty work in energy and what the different types are
- What an energy scale is and how it can be helpful to understand
- Ways to up your energy: comedy, join some meme sites, music, kindness
- Why teenagers have less energy
- Different body types and how these affect energy and sleep
- The five different times for movement and different movement types that line up with these
- How to move differently at different times of day to increase energy
- Why shaking, skipping, and bouncing help the body
- A simple tip for more movement
- Why balance is important and how to optimize it
- How body types affect how long we should fast
- The way chronotypes relate to body type and how to optimize this
- His top sleep hygiene tips
- Why it takes so long to get caffeine out of your system and when to stop during the day
- The strong reason science backs up morning sunlight for 15 minutes
- How morning sunlight turns off the melatonin faucet, helps beat brain fog, and resets your sleep timer for 14 hours later
- The reason getting up around sunrise is super important for everyone if possible
- What banana tea is and why it’s loaded with magnesium
- Why he recommends avoiding melatonin supplements, especially in kids
- What can help with falling asleep, staying asleep, and other issues
- How to navigate different sleep types in your family
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- His website
- Energize!: Go from Dragging Ass to Kicking It in 30 Days by Michael J. Breus
- Know Your Chronotype Quiz
- His TED Talk
- Jigsaw MagSRT
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Spaceman: An Astronaut’s Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe by Mike Massimino
- Open by Andre Agassi
More From Wellness Mama
- 089: Shawn Stevenson on Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet & Exercise
- 426: Everything You Need to Know About Sleep and Melatonin With Lisa Shank
- 492: Lee Holden on Qi Gong for Less Stress and More Energy
- 433: The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Has Got Up and Gone With Dr. Gundry
- 373: Why Sunlight Is As Important As Nutrition and Exercise for Health & Lifespan With Ari Whitten
- 301: How to Use Light to Drastically Improve Health With Matt Maruca
- Natural Ways to Help Kids Sleep
- Natural Ways to Get Better Sleep (Even If You’re a Mom!)
- Top 10 Signs & Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Are You Low on Magnesium?
- Magnesium Oil Benefits & How to Use It
Join the Conversation...