I am here with Lisa Shank, who has been in the natural products industry for over 20 years. She’s studied functional nutrition and herbal medicine and is an expert in sleep and hormones.
In this episode we go especially deep into melatonin, which is often misunderstood and very often given at the wrong dose. We clear up the confusion today, and also touch on a whole number of things that you can do for free at home for better sleep and more balanced hormones. We even go into all the “mom” questions on better sleep for babies, kids, and teenagers too!
Episode Highlights With Lisa Shank
- How light affects sleep and hormones
- Ways to use light, food, and exercise for melatonin and sleep
- The inverse relationship between cortisol and melatonin
- How hydration factors into sleep and hormones
- Practical ways to know if you are hydrated enough and getting enough minerals/electrolytes
- Why to hydrate in the morning for energy and sleep
- The skin test to know if you’re hydrated enough
- An important reason to label not just date but time of day if you pump breastmilk
- The reason babies don’t produce melatonin until about 3 months
- Why teenagers produce nearly three times the amount of melatonin as adults do (and why this is important)
- How to support children and teenagers in healthy melatonin and cortisol production
- What a delayed sleep phase is with kids and the reason it makes it hard for teenagers to sleep sometimes
- Melatonin is one of the only antioxidants that breaks the blood-brain barrier
- Why dosing matters so much with melatonin and why less is more
- The difference between plant based and lab based synthesized melatonin and how the body responds differently
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Symphony Natural Health
- Symphony Health Herbatonin Melatonin
- How To Make Sole
- LMNT Electrolyte Drink
- Lemon Water in the Morning: Benefits & Myths
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
More From Wellness Mama
- 132: How to Use Cannabidiol or CBD for Sleep, Hormones, and Health
- 89: Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet and Exercise Combined with Shawn Stevenson
- 58: How Knowing Your Chronotype Can Improve Your Sleep
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- Why My Kids Don’t Have a Night Light
- How to Create a Perfect Sleep Environment
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Flying Embers, a better-for-you alcohol brand that brews Hard Kombucha with probiotic-powered Hard Seltzer. All of their products are zero sugar, zero carbs, USDA certified organic, and brewed with live probiotics and adaptogens. They’re also all keto, gluten-free, vegan, and low in calories, so they’re a great option for a functional low-calorie drink that is delicious. I love their flavors. They have some really unique ones, like Grapefruit Thyme and Guava Jalapeno, and I’m a big fan of their Clementine Hibiscus. All of their products are artfully crafted with a dry fermentation process, which gives the Hard Kombucha a perfectly balanced natural sweetness that tastes amazing despite having zero sugar and carbs. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal just for you. Receive 15% off your whole order. To claim this deal, go to flyingembers.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout and the discount is only available on their website. And they’re also available nationwide at grocery stores, anywhere you find beer and hard seltzers, but check out where to find them and get the discount, flyingembers.com/wellnessmama.
This episode is sponsored by Paleovalley, my go to source for grass fed probiotic rich beef sticks and now some of my favorite supplements as well. They have a vitamin C complex made with three of the most concentrated natural sources of vitamin C: amla berry, camu camu berry, and unripe acerola cherry. Each nutrient-packed serving delivers 750% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C – an amount meant to help you thrive, not just survive. Most other vitamin C supplements are derived from GMO corn and only contain one fraction of the vitamin – ascorbic acid. Their Essential C Complex contains the entire spectrum with absolutely no synthetic vitamin C… just organic superfoods! Check this and all of their products out and save 15% at paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off.