I am here today for a round two with a much-requested return guest, Dr. Steven Gundry. He’s one of the world’s top cardiothoracic surgeons and a pioneer in all things nutrition. Dr. Gundry is well-known for his books, including The Plant Paradox, The Longevity Paradox, and his newest, The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Has Got Up and Gone.
Today in our chat we go deep on the root causes of chronic low energy and fatigue, and why society’s short-term fixes like caffeine and sugar are not the answer. We deep dive especially into the growing epidemic of insulin resistance in our country and around the world.
If you want to regain your energy (without relying on caffeine!), this is the episode for you!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Steven Gundry
- The one blood test he would recommend if you could only get one
- Why we are seeing such a drastic rise in chronic fatigue and chronic health conditions
- How inflammation is the underlying cause of so many problems
- The difference between time restricted eating and fasting… and why he favors TRE
- How mitochondria directly impact energy and how to support them
- The way that eating in a slightly shorter window can make a big difference
- Why cold turns on brown fat (a good thing) and how it supercharges your body and energy levels
- Even more reasons sunlight is beneficial and why to get more
- What beige fat is, and how to use it to your advantage
- The way certain types of fat burn extra calories, even at rest
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Steven Gundry
- The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Is Gone
- Other books by Steven Gundry
- 295: Health Foods That Are Actually Making Us Sick With Dr. Gundry of the Plant Paradox
- Joovv Red Light
More From Wellness Mama
- 422: I’m So Effing Tired: A Proven Plan to Beat Burnout & Boost Energy and Reclaim Your Life With Dr. Amy Shah
- 430: How to Eat Better to Feel Better (and Stay Balanced) With Giada De Laurentiis
- 429: How Light Can Heal (or Damage) Your Health & Hormones With Andy Mant
- 417: The Energy Formula and Biohacking From Home With Shawn Wells
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
- Ice Bath Benefits: How Cold Therapy Improves the Body and the Brain
- Healthy and Caffeine-Free Coffee Alternatives
Did you enjoy this episode? What would you like to ask Dr. Gundry? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Joovv Red light therapy. Red light therapy, also known as photobiomodulation, is gaining popularity and with good reason. Many people swear by it for skin health and to help slow the aging process, but research shows that it can benefit the body in many ways. In a recent episode of this podcast, one guest explained how dramatically light impacts the body, influencing everything from sleep to hormones and much more. He explained that some research shows that red light can help protect against damage from too much blue light exposure or too much sun exposure. Red light does naturally occur at some times of the day too, which is another great reason to get outside first thing in the morning or as the sun sets, but for those of us who can’t make that a habit every day, at home red lights like Joovv are the solution. Learn more and lock in an exclusive Wellness Mama discount at joovv.com/wellnessmama
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse, that’s Wellnesse with an “e” on the end- my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.