I’m here today for a fascinating conversation with Matt Maruca who is a researcher, a teacher, and an entrepreneur in the field of photobiology, or the study of how light affects health.
After suffering from poor health and chronic fatigue since the age of 14, Matt chose to skip the beaten path of higher education to start his own business and solve his health problems through research and self-education. He is now only 20 years old and travels the world studying and teaching about the relevance of light in human health.
He founded his own company, RA Optics, which provides tools for optimizing our exposure to light, like blue light protection glasses.
In this episode, Matt and I go deep on how artificial light can be beneficial or harmful, why we need sunlight, and so many other fascinating topics!
Episode Highlights With Matt Maruca
- What mitochondrial dysfunction is (and what it has to do with increasing rates of chronic disease)
- How all life evolved from and depends on light
- The way light affects circadian rhythm, sleep patterns, and hormones
- Artificial light and how it’s affecting our bodies
- Exposure to sunlight: does it really cause cancer?
- The way sunlight interacts with the brain
- Why you may want to think twice about wearing sunglasses or contact lenses
- How to manipulate light to help improve health and performance
- The right way to use blue light blocking glasses
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- RAOptics.com (use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 10% off)
- Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Iris software
- Clearlight Sauna
- Vitamin D
Books Matt Recommends
- Light in Shaping Life: Biophotons in Biology and Medicine
- The Influence of Ocular Light Perception on Metabolism in Man and in Animal
- Going Somewhere: Truth About a Life in Science by Andrew Marino
- The Razor’s Edge
- The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar
More From Wellness Mama
- 94: Low Level Red Light Therapy for Cellular Health and Healing
- 189: How Red Light Therapy or Photobiomodulation Works & How to Get the Benefits With Joovv
- 209: Sun Protection and Anti-Aging From the Inside Out With Polypodium Leucotomos
- 217: Do Saunas Work? Understanding the Benefits With Sunlighten Founder Connie Zack
- How Photobiomodulation Therapy Can Improve Skin, Hair, Metabolism & Thyroid
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- Manipulating Blue Light to Improve Health
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
- Sunscreen Safety: SPF, UVA, UVB, Oxybenzone & Vitamin D
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
- How to Fix Leptin Resistance to Control Weight, Cravings & More
Have you ever thought about your light “diet”? Do you have questions I can pass on to Matt? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Kion and their Kion clean energy bar. Finding good snacks is tough and finding snacks that are healthy, contain important nutrients and that kids love can be an uphill battle. Many so called healthy snacks contain sugar or processed ingredients or lack nutrients so they leave you hungry soon after. That’s why i love the Kion clean energy bar. My kids love it for the taste, I love that it is all natural, made from real food ingredients and provides stable, long lasting energy. Unlike many snacks, kion bars contain zero refined sugar or highly processed ingredients. These real food bars are naturally gluten, dairy and soy free and packed with electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. They don’t melt in heat or freeze in cold, making them ideal to pack in lunches or to send along with active kids as a snack. In fact, you’ll often find one (or 4) of these bars in the baskets of my kids bikes or backpacks as they build forts outside. You can get 15% off of the Kion Clean Energy Bar by going to getkion.com/wellnessmama and using code MAMA15 at checkout.
This episode is brought to you by Joovv red light therapy. I’ve used red light therapy to support my skin, hair and health for years. Also called photobiomodulation, it works by using very specific wavelengths of red light that support cellular function in various ways. I personally noticed the effects on my thyroid function, on skin elasticity and how clear my skin was, and on hair growth, which was a huge benefit after losing hair in the early stages of thyroid disease and after pregnancy. Joovv has a variety of sizes from a small handheld unit that is great for face, joints and on the go all the way up to full size wall units that can even be used in doctor and chiropractor offices. Go to joovv.com/wellnessmama to learn more and check out all the options.