This episode brings back one of my favorite guests, and one of your favorites as well, because he is one of the most requested repeat guests. I’m here with Ari Whitten, best-selling author and founder of the Energy Blueprint. I have a tremendous amount of respect for his research and look to him for guidance in many areas.
In this episode, we tackle what is often is a very controversial topic, even though it shouldn’t be — sun exposure! He makes an incredibly compelling case for why sunlight is as important as nutrition or exercise when it comes to health and lifespan. I know that you will learn as much as I did from this, even with all my research in this area, because he goes that deep.
Thanks for being here Ari!
Episode Highlights With Ari Whitten
- The reason the sun is important (beyond just vitamin D)
- Why a vitamin D supplement won’t replace the benefits of the sun
- The relationship between sunlight and all-cause mortality
- Why the research doesn’t show that sunlight is linked to dying earlier
- The reasons why sun exposure is linked to better health and longer lifespan
- A fascinating study that showed that women who got more sun exposure lived longer and healthier
- Why avoiding the sun was as risky as smoking a pack a day of cigarettes
- What malillumination is and why it is as bad as malnutrition
- How sunlight reduces your risk of cancers, heart disease, and diabetes (which can all be more problematic than just skin cancer)
- The different types of light in sunlight and why we need them all
- A strong case for why sunlight does NOT meaningfully increase risk of skin cancer
- Why melatonin is one of the most potent forces for health and how to increase it (hint: it has to do with light!)
- How avoiding the sun might speed aging!
- Why the more sunlight you get during the day, the stronger your brain gets against artificial light
- How Katie eats her sunscreen to be able to handle more sun naturally without sunscreen
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Ari’s site: The Energy Blueprint
- Follow Ari on Instagram
- Joovv Red Light Devices
- Polypodium Leucotomos
- Article: Skin Types
More From Wellness Mama
- 142: Is Adrenal Fatigue Real or Just Bad Science? With Ari Whitten
- 245: Ari Whitten on Fighting Fatigue and Anxiety With Sauna, Hormesis, NRF2 & Sun Exposure
- 301: How to Use Light to Drastically Improve Health With Matt Maruca
- 209: Sun Protection and Anti-Aging From the Inside Out With Polypodium Leucotomos
- The Benefits of Red Light Therapy (Photobiomodulation)
- Sunscreen Safety: SPF, UVA, UVB, Oxybenzone & Vitamin D
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
How’s your light diet? Can I pass on any questions or comments to Ari? Please let us know in a comment or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Today’s episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens, the all-in-one daily drink to support better health and peak performance. Even with a balanced diet, it can be difficult to cover all of your nutritional bases and this is where Athletic Greens can help. Their daily drink is essentially nutritional insurance for your body and it’s delivered straight to your door every month. It’s developed from a complex blend of 75 minerals, vitamins, and whole-food ingredients. It’s a greens powder that’s engineered to fill the nutritional gaps in your diet. Their daily drink improves your everyday performance by addressing the four pillars of health, energy, recovery, gut health, and immune support. It’s packed with adaptogens for recovery, probiotics and digestive enzymes for gut health, and vitamin C and zinc for immune support. It’s basically an all-in-one solution to help your body meet its nutritional needs. And it’s highly absorbable and diet-friendly, whether you are keto, vegan, paleo, dairy-free, gluten-free, etc. It has less than one gram of sugar and it tastes great. And here’s how I used it and still use it. When I started losing weight, I was eating a lot more protein, and it became hard to get enough greens and vegetables in because it was hard to actually eat enough volume of food. I was full. So I was able to use Athletic Greens to meet my veggie and nutritional needs, even if I was full and just didn’t feel like eating extra. It’s basically like a multivitamin, but it’s actually head and shoulders above a lot of multivitamins.
They don’t use any GMOs or harmful chemicals. And it’s NSF certified. So they really are careful about their sourcing and what goes into it. When you try Athletic Greens through my podcast, they’re also gonna send you a year supply of their vitamin D3 and K2 for free. I’ve talked about vitamin D before. We know we get it from the sun, but it can also be important to supplement, especially in the winter months. And this is something I test my own blood levels of and supplement when necessary. And it combines these nutrients to help support the heart, immune system, and respiratory system, which is especially helpful at this time of year. So whether you’re looking to boost energy levels, support your immune system, or address gut health, it’s a great time to try Athletic Greens for yourself. Simply visit athleticgreens.com/wellnessmama to claim my special offer today. You’ll get a free vitamin D3K2 wellness bundle with your first purchase. That’s up to a one year supply of vitamin D as an added value for free when you try Athletic Greens. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more comprehensive nutritional bundle anywhere else.
This podcast is brought to you by Cacao Bliss, a delicious superfood drink created by previous podcast guest, Danette May. Many of us like chocolate, and certainly nothing feels better than being able to enjoy rich creamy chocolate and knowing that you’re doing something good for your body. But that isn’t the case with every type of chocolate. When it’s sourced well, chocolate and especially cacao can have many health benefits. It’s a great source of magnesium, can be very anti-inflammatory and even help balance hormones. In fact, some experts speculate that this is why we crave chocolate at certain times of the month. Cacao Bliss is one of the best sources of this that I have found. They start with 100% organic cacao beans that are naturally dried in the sun, maintaining their miraculous health benefits. And then they blend this with turmeric, MCT oil, coconut, sea salt, cinnamon, and black pepper. So not only does it taste delicious, but it makes you feel incredible as well. The result is this truly decadent healthy, but guilt-free chocolate that helps with cravings, it can be great for weight loss, for boosting energy, reducing inflammation, all in one simple drink that has become a relatively regular part of my life. And for those who are wondering, it is paleo, gluten-free, keto, vegan and vegetarian safe. They have been making this for eight years. I’m a big fan. And as a listener of this podcast, you get an automatic 15% discount by going to earthechofoods.com/wellnessmama and you will have an automatic 15% discount.