Today I’m talking with Alessandra Zonari, co-founder and chief scientific officer of the company OneSkin. She has her Ph.D. in skin regeneration and tissue engineering and has published 20 peer-reviewed papers. Alessandra really takes all of her knowledge to a practical level. Her focus at OneSkin is on creating healthy skincare products that not only reduce the signs of aging but help the body create healthier skin cells.
We talk about the internal factors that cause us to show our age, like not enough hydration and too much sugar. This process has been dubbed inflammaging. But we also talk about what’s really going on in our skin’s dermal layers and below the surface to cause wrinkles and damaged-looking skin. Many skincare companies claim to have products that slow aging, but OneSkin has the clinical lab results to back it up.
The good news is that it takes weeks, not years to see results. And the lifestyle changes we make even as adults can still have a long-lasting impact. As one of the largest organs of our body, our skin offers a peak at what’s really going on inside. When our bodies are healthier, our skin reflects that.
Alessandra shares a lot of the science behind aging and skin health in today’s episode in an easy to understand way. I had a lot of fun talking with her and I hope you’ll join us and listen in!
Episode Highlights With Alessandra
- How her biological age is 15 years younger than her actual age and what she attributes that to! (sleep, movement, and meditation)
- Hydration tips both internally and keeping your skin barrier
- Another reason to avoid sugar for the sake of the skin and how excess sugar can break down collagen fibers and age the skin
- Why skin aging happens and some ways to slow or stop it
- What inflammaging is
- Biggest drivers of skin aging: sugar, dehydration
- Things we can do internally that help reduce skin inflammation and aging
- Difference between things that make skin look younger but can actually harm it long term (deep peeling, etc)
- A tip to clean skin at night and not cleanse with cleanser again in the morning to help protect the skin barrier
- How to target the root cause of aging
- Their proprietary peptide OS-01 and how to addresses root cause of aging
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 587: Naomi Whittel on Malnourished Skin and Why the Body Holds the Answer
- 546: Dr. Trevor Cates on Hormones, Skin Health and Aging Gracefully
- 307: Anti-Aging Skin Science From the Inside Out With Dr. Emilia Javorsky
- 156: Andy Hnilo on Natural Ways to Improve Skin
- 037: Dr. Trevor Cates on How to Get Glowing Skin at Any Age
- 636: Dr. Jeffrey Gladden on How We’ll Make 100 the New 30 and Longevity + Aging Research
- 567: Josh Whalen on Peptides, Hormones, Aging-Backwards and Saving Relationships
- 588: Dr. Nick Bitz on Aging, Senescent Cells, Senolytics and Longevity
- 7 Natural DIY Makeup Remover Recipes for Happy Skin
- Oil Cleansing Method for Naturally Perfect Skin
- Herbal DIY Face Oil