Shawn Wells is one of my favorite people to talk to (you can listen to my other podcast interviews with him here and here). He’s considered to be the world’s leading nutritional biochemist and expert on health optimization. And he’s helped develop over 700 food, supplements, and other products.
Today we’re covering what supplements women really need and which ones aren’t so helpful. I get asked all of the time which supplements I take but what works for me may not work the same for the next person. Shawn helps break down what we’re all deficient in (hint: think magnesium and vitamin D) and some targeted approaches that can help you have energy and strength, and live a vibrant life.
Episode Highlights With Shawn Wells
- The experience that drastically shifted his own life and helped him find self love
- Important caveats for women when it comes to supplementation
- Why most research on supplements is done on young males and what to understand if you aren’t in this group (age, gender or ethnicity)
- The things women have a greater need for and can benefit from supplementing
- How much protein he recommends for women
- What it means for protein to be thermogenic
- Why women need more muscle and what this doesn’t make women bulky
- What leuine is and why it is important
- Creatine for women – what to know and how it can slow aging
- The surprising benefits of baking soda and how it enhances performance (and why it is the most disease fighting compound he has seen in research)
- 75% of the population is deficient in magnesium and how to fix this
- His take on how to support hormone health
- What spermidine is and how it can be beneficial and correlates to longevity
- How mortality is directly tied to mitochondrial health
- Top ways to increase mitochondrial health
- His take on niacin and how to use it to slow aging
- Supplements that enhance NAD and what to be careful of
- His stack: NMN, Fissitin, COQ10, and PQQ
- What ergothianine is and why he’s excited about this supplement
- Supplements he suggests that women avoid
Resources We Mention
- Shawn Wells website
- The ENERGY Formula by Shawn Wells
- Grip strength tester – Amazon
- Mag breakthrough from biOptimizers (magnesium)
- NativePath Collagen
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
More From Wellness Mama
- 562: Dr. Chad Walding on Collagen, Protein Consumption and Staying “On the Path”
- 561: Angelo Keely on Essential Amino Acids and Eating More Protein!
- 416: Q&A: Supplements, EMFs, Protein Snacks, First Principles, and More
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 352: How Protein Improves Metabolism and Health With Billy Bosch From Iconic Protein
- 556: Kristin Weitzel on Women’s Health, Fitness, Recovery, Ice Baths and Supplements
- 586: Dr. Chloe Weber on Herbalism, Chinese Medicine and Getting Back to Our Radical Roots
- Top 10 Signs & Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Vitex (Chasteberry) Herb Benefits & Uses for Women
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Discussion (1 Comments)
I loved the 575: Shawn Wells on Supplements for Women + Easy Ways to Improve Health. I wanted to know where and what brands do you recommend for the supplements that were mentioned. I know that there are so many supplements out there but, not all of them are created equal.