Dr. Robin Berzin is the founder and CEO of Parsley Health, which is America’s leading holistic medical practice, specifically designed to help women overcome chronic conditions. And she founded this company to help Americans combat the rising tide of chronic disease through really personalized holistic medicine. She’s also the author of a new book called, “State Change,” which we talk about today.
And in this episode, we go into a lot of different directions and talk about root cause, functional medicine, why mental health struggles can start in our bodies, why she tests thyroid levels in every single patient, why average is not optimal and how to understand your lab results. She also shares what to know about metabolic syndrome in blood sugar, the amazing science of meditation, and so much more. This was a very practical episode and I know you’ll enjoy this as much as I did. So without further ado, let’s join Dr. Berzin.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Robin Berzin
- What led her to become a doctor and start Parsley Health
- How root cause functional medicine can help with mental health
- Why mental health struggles aren’t just in our head, they can start in our bodies
- How to do a self assessment for health to get a baseline
- What bloodwork we should take to start to understand health issues
- Core Actions vs Habits and why the difference is important
- Why she tests thyroid levels in every single patient
- Average is not optimal… how to understand your lab results
- Why women were excluded from medical research until 1993 and why lab ranges aren’t necessarily accurate for women because of this
- What to know about metabolic syndrome and blood sugar
- The foods we eat that make it impossible for our brain to use serotonin and what to avoid
- Amazing science of meditation
- Movement vs exercise and how movement can help process emotions
- Why we are overfed and undernourished
- The truth about supplements and how to know which ones to take as therapeutic tools to get to optimal
- Her best tips for sleep and circadian health
Resources We Mention
- State Change: End Anxiety, Beat Burnout, and Ignite a New Baseline of Energy and Flow by Robin Berzin
- Parsley Health
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
More From Wellness Mama
- 293: Functional Medicine for Families and Stress Reduction With Dr. Rick Henriksen
- 137: A Holistic Rx for Keeping Your Whole Family Healthy with Dr. Madiha Saeed, MD
- 409: The Thyroid Reset Diet to Resolve Thyroid Problems With Dr. Alan Christianson
- 242: Fighting Thyroid Disease With Food & Recipes for Thyroid Health From Dr. Izabella Wentz
- 97: OB & Midwife Aviva Romm on PPD, Thyroid Problems, & MTHFR
- 89: Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet and Exercise Combined with Shawn Stevenson
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
- Are You Low on Magnesium?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley – a company that is near and dear to my heart. I really like all of their products and my family especially loves their 100% grass fed beef sticks, which are a clean, gut-friendly protein snack option. They never last long in my house because my kids enjoy them so much, and I love how seriously Paleovalley takes creating healthy and environmentally friendly products. Paleovalley Grass fed beef sticks are the real deal. They are sourced from 100% grass fed and finished cows that are never fed grains or harmful antibiotics. And they come from small, family owned farms right here in the USA that practice rotational grazing, meaning farmers literally rotate the pastures in which their cows graze. So they aren’t feeding on the same soil forever, depleting its nutrients. This means the cows are helping increase the nutrient density in the soil and put carbon back in the soil where it belongs. Another important difference- Virtually every other meat snack on the market is made with a processing agent called encapsulated citric acid (ECA). Companies use this in order to guarantee a long shelf life for their products but one study from The University of Illinois at Chicago found ECA can cause: Joint discomfort caused by stiffness and swelling, muscle aches, upset stomach, and shortness of breath! Instead, Paleovalley Beef sticks use old world methods of fermentation, which gives the beef sticks a long shelf life without the use of harmful acids and chemicals. They’re also free of Brominated Vegetable Oil, hormones, and MSG and the natural fermentation process means they are a good source of probiotics. Check out the amazing beef sticks and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my personal care company focused on creating safe and natural products that nourish your body from the outside in so you can feel great about your family using them. I’m so excited about our best-selling mineralizing toothpaste that now comes in three different options: original mint, charcoal and strawberry (a kid favorite). Unlike most toothpaste, ours doesn’t have a poison control warning because it only contains ingredients that are safe and beneficial to your oral microbiome and to your tooth enamel. It’s centered on hydroxyapatite, which is a naturally occurring mineral used in tooth enamel, with things like aloe, neem and green tea to support optimal oral microbiome balance in the mouth. Our thousands of happy customers tell us how much fresher their mouths feel and how their teeth keep getting whiter and stronger naturally. Check out our toothpaste and all of our products at Wellnesse.com