I’m here with Dr. Alan Christianson, who is most recently the author of The Thyroid Reset Diet, which we talk about today. Dr. Christianson is a naturopathic endocrinologist who specializes in Hashimoto’s, hypothyroidism, and Graves’ disease. He is also the doctor who had a tremendous role in my own path to remission. He’s convinced that much of the conventional advice about thyroid disease can actually be counterproductive to long-term healing.
He has a lot of new information to share, so let’s dive in!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Christianson
- Why thyroid disease is reversible for many people
- How to get into remission for some types of thyroid disease
- The shocking reason the thyroid can heal and the factor that might be stopping that from happening
- Why too much iodine can shut off important thyroid function and not help it
- A strategy for helping pull the thyroid into balance
- The narrow gap of how much iodine we need
- Foods with the most iodine to be careful about (seaweed, nori, kelp, etc)
- A reason to avoid dairy foods and processed grains for the iodine
- Why almost always if someone has thyroid problems, there is another issue going on in the body as well
- How to use meal timing to support gut health and the thyroid
- Why kids don’t really get thyroid disease and what we can learn from this
- How the keto diet can be problematic for thyroid disease and create long term problems
- Foods that best support thyroid function and gut health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Christianson
- The Thyroid Reset Diet Book
- More books from Dr. Christianson
- Docuseries: Invisible Iodine
- Maldon sea salt
- Celtic light grey salt
More From Wellness Mama
- When Iodine Might Be Bad For Your Thyroid
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Are You Scared of Salt?
- 397: Can Normal Thyroid Function Return by Avoiding Iodine With Dr. Alan Christianson
- 398: Sauna Use to Increase Lifespan, Improve Thyroid, Detox Safely, and More With Sauna Fix
- 118: An At-Home Approach to Balancing Thyroid Hormones with McCall McPherson
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, my go-to source for functional mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, chaga, cordyceps and more. Recently, I’ve really been enjoying their protein powder – it has 18g of pure plant proteins, 7 functional mushrooms and adaptogens, organic vanilla, and not a single grain, gum, or gram of stevia. I love adding the vanilla to a smoothie with some berries for an easy meal (and my kids love it too). The Peanut Butter blended with some cacao and macadamia milk makes a great protein-packed afternoon pick me up. If you haven’t tried Four Sigmatic, I also love their lion’s mane coffee in the morning and reishi packets at night! Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and code wellnessmama gives 10% off.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, the personal care company I founded to take on some of the worst offenders in the personal care world! Did you know that many haircare products contain harsh detergents? But your hair isn’t dirty laundry and doesn’t need to be treated like it is! Instead, we created nourishing and natural “hair food” products that support hair’s natural balance and strength over time to leave it stronger and healthier! To help you see and feel the difference, we’re hosting a hair detox challenge! Try it for 30 days and show us the difference in your hair! Just snap a picture and tag us on any social media. To make it even easier, you can save 15% on all of our haircare products with the code hairdetox15 at wellnesse.com