Today I’m talking with my friend Dr. Molly Maloof. Not only is she an MD, but she’s an author, researcher, entrepreneur, and educator. Her passion is helping others extend their healthspan for a longer, happier life.
We’re talking about biohacking for women specifically and how that looks different from men. Why we can do the same health and workout routines as men and end up more stressed with stubborn weight. Dr. Molly goes deep into the keys to unlocking our mitochondrial function for more energy and vibrancy.
We talk about positive stress, and how to know when to dial things back. And we cover why blood sugar levels are so important and how to keep them balanced. There’s a lot to unpack in today’s episode and I hope you’ll join us as we take a deep dive into how to live our best, healthiest lives!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Molly
- Why biohacking is different for women and how to be careful
- How to use current technology to improve your mitochondria
- The way stress changes metabolism and why weight gain or trouble losing weight can actually be a symptom of high stress and low mitochondria function
- Why recovery is so important and how to avoid burnout
- How to nourish your mitochondria
- Things that damage your mitochondria: smoking, vaping, alcohol, pesticides, refined sugar
- How chronic stress directly damages mitochondria
- What mito-hormetic stressor are
- The war over vegetables and what she thinks about vegan vs carnivore
- Microbiome and mitochondria crosstalk and why this is important
- What HRV can tell us about health and ways to improve it
- How to use a glucose monitor at home to improve health and hormones
- What to understand about the glycemic index and how this is the average response of 1000 people
- How to look at the body from a first principles angle and improve hormones
- The way synthetic hormones including birth control can change your hormones and your attraction to your partner
- Her take on peptides and hormones
Resources We Mention
- The Spark Factor: The Secret to Supercharging Energy, Becoming Resilient, and Feeling Better Than Ever by Dr. Molly Maloof
- Dr. Molly – website
- Dr. Molly – Instagram
- Levels – CGM
More From Wellness Mama
- 597: Dr. Kelley-Chew on the Crisis of Metabolic Dysfunction & What to Do About It
- 402: How to Use Glucose as a Continuous Health Marker for Metabolic Health With Dr. Casey Means of Levels
- 408: Cardiometabolic Risk, Lipoproteins and Metabolic Disorders With Dr. William Cromwell
- 558: Dr. Jay Wiles on Simple & Effective Ways to Control Stress Response and Improve HRV
- 522: Dr. Erik Korem on Adaptability, HRV, Sleep, and Stress As a Gateway to Growth
- 190: Harpreet Rai on Tracking HRV, Sleep, & Movement with Oura Ring
Join the Conversation...