Today on the podcast, I’m here with Dr. Joel Warsh, a board-certified pediatrician in Los Angeles who specializes in integrative medicine. We talk all about raising healthy kids using integrative pediatric options by combining Western and alternative medicine. One of my favorite quotes from this episode is, “It’s not a doctor’s job to tell people what to do, it’s a doctor’s job to teach people what to do.” And he does a lot of teaching in this interview.
We touch on different aspects of pediatric care and integrative medicine today, including all the hot topics such as what to do about a fever, ways to address things like eczema and allergies, why all childhood illnesses are on the rise, what to do about behavioral issues, why the vast majority of illnesses can be resolved at home, why he rarely prescribes antibiotics, and so much more.
He offers peace of mind for parents about how most childhood illnesses pass quickly on their own and don’t actually need care, but he gives advice on what to do if you encounter one that does require medical attention. So, without further ado, let’s learn from Dr. Joel.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Joel Warsh
- Why parents are increasingly frustrated with the current medical system
- How working with your pediatrician should be a partnership
- The reason illnesses are on the rise, even in children
- Difference between conventional care, which treats acute illness, and optimal care
- Why diabetes rates in children have doubled in the last two years
- His SEEDS of health for kids: Stress, Environment, Exercise, Diet, and Sleep
- The number one thing we can do to change our health
- Why cooking at home is one of the best health changes you can make
- The benefits of working with a team of doctors instead of a single doctor
- How often medication is actually necessary vs. the vast majority of illnesses that get resolved without it
- Why avoiding antibiotics when they aren’t needed is so important
- The reason he almost never prescribes antibiotics and uses them less than 1% of the time
- Why a fever isn’t usually a bad thing and what to do about it
- Natural ways to tackle a fever or minor illness
- Why it’s important to remember that it’s normal for kids to get sick
- How Western and alternative medicine are starting to blend together
- The three big things that parenting books get wrong about raising healthy children
- How kids are more frequently labeled with behavioral concerns now
- What the most important thing often missed in medical care
- How changing our kids’ diets can improve symptoms and reduce chemical exposure/overload
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Joel’s website
- Dr. Joel’s Instagram account
- Guinness World Records 2022
- Elderberry syrup recipe
- Genexa Remedies for Kids
- Positive Parenting Course
More From Wellness Mama
- 262: Dr. Andrew Weil on Integrative Medicine, Reducing Inflammation & Most Important Factors for Health
- 478: Dr. Sheila Kilbane on 7 Steps to Heal and Prevent Common Childhood Illnesses
- 451: Dr. Roseann on How to Develop Resilience and Support Kids With ADHD, OCD, LD, or PANS/PANDAS Kids
- 344: Get Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Yelling, or Losing Control With Amy From Positive Parenting Solutions
- 335: How the Food Industry Preys on Children & How to Fix It (With Dr. Mark Hyman)
- 133: GMOs, Glyphosate, Organic Food & What’s Making Our Children Sick
- 421: Getting Rid of Eczema for Good With Dr. Ana-Maria Temple
- 92: A Holistic Pediatrician Talks Ear Infections, Fevers, & Vaccines
- 13: Vitality & Healthy Children
- Natural Remedies for ADHD in Children
- Vitamins and Supplements for Children
- Why I Don’t Reduce a Fever & And What I Do Instead
- Health Benefits of Essential Oils
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Organifi. They make delicious superfood drinks, they’re beyond easy to incorporate into your routine. Let me tell you about my two personal favorites. Their green juice contains a clinical dose of ashwagandha, which supports healthy cortisol levels to aid in weight management. It also contains 11 superfoods for resetting the body and takes just 30 seconds with no chopping, shopping, or juicing, or blending. It’s organic, it tastes delicious, and no blender needed. You just add water and drink it up, and let your body soak up the benefits. I also love their Gold drink at night, it’s like a turmeric tea, they even have a chocolate version, that contains nine superfoods for rest and relaxation. It tastes delicious in warm weather and can be mixed in milk, water, or milk alternatives. It’s low sugar, so you can enjoy this dessert-like tea guilt-free and wake up refreshed without drowsiness. My kids love the chocolate one. You can check out these and all of their products, including protein powder and red antioxidant drink by going to organifi.com/wellnessmama, and using the code wellnessmama to save 20% on your order.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s wellness with an E on the end. The brand I co-founded when I realized there just weren’t truly natural alternatives to some personal care products that performed as well as many conventional brands. We’ve been sharing our popular toothpaste and haircare for almost two years, but today I’m excited to tell you about a new star in our lineup. The charcoal toothpaste that provides the same mineral-rich benefits as our original whitening formula with a boost of charcoal for extra whitening and mouth-supporting benefits. It’s made without glycerin using oral microbiome-friendly ingredients to help your body create stronger, healthier, whiter teeth while you sleep. I love to use charcoal and whitening toothpaste on alternating days to keep my teeth looking and feeling their best. You can check out our toothpaste and all of our products at wellnesse.com.