Today I’m here with a dear friend, Madiha Saeed, also known as the Holistic Mom, MD, on social media. She’s a board-certified family physician, international speaker, and author. We talk about her best-selling book, The Holistic Rx: Your Guide to Healing Chronic Inflammation and Disease, and her new book, The Holistic Rx for Kids: Parenting Healthy Brains and Bodies in a Changing World.
This episode has a lot of practical advice for parents — giving your kids a healthy foundation, the reason children are suffering more than they have in the past, how to teach your children to listen to their innate awareness of their health, and so much more.
I always love talking to Madiha, and I know you will enjoy listening to this!
Episode Highlights With Madiha Saeed
- How she became a professional henna artist and why she loves the creativity of it
- Why all types of health conditions are on the rise… especially in children
- Why inflammation is the root of chronic disease
- What holistic parenting is and how you can practice it
- The reason our children are suffering more than in past generations
- How our modern lifestyle can hijack our kids’ brains
- How to raise mindful children who understand their environment and their bodies
- The importance of teaching your children to listen to their innate awareness of health
- How lack of protein and other vital nutrients causes a cascade of changes at the brain level
- The steps to build a healthy foundation in children, even if they didn’t have the optimal start
- How what you eat affects gut bacteria
- Why we need to reduce our children’s toxic load
- Factors to optimize for stress resilience and sleep in kids
- Ways to improve sleep in children and ourselves
- The importance of role modeling these behaviors for our kids
- Her advice for all parents
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Madiha Saeed’s website
- Dr. Madiha Saeed’s Instagram
- The Holistic Rx for Kids: Parenting Healthy Brains and Bodies in a Changing World by Madiha Saeed, MD
- Adam’s Healing Adventures: The Power of Rainbow Foods by Madiha Saeed, MD
- The Holistic Rx: Your Guide to Healing Chronic Inflammation and Disease by Madiha Saeed, MD
- Adam’s Healing Adventures: From Sickness to Health by Madiha Saeed, MD
- The Science of Parenting: How Todays Brain Research Can Help You Raise Happy, Emotionally Balanced Children by Margot Sunderland
- Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness by David Perlmutter
More From Wellness Mama
- 451: Dr. Roseann on How to Develop Resilience and Support Kids With ADHD, OCD, LD, or PANS/PANDAS Kids
- 457: Rachel Harrington on Understanding and Navigating Sensory Processing Challenges in Our Kids
- 448: Mike Bayer on Creating a Strong Mindset in Ourselves and Our Kids
- 425: Helping Kids & Teens Build a Healthy Relationship With Technology With Katey McPherson
- 382: World Renowned Mindset Expert on High Performance and Setting Our Kids Up for Success With Elliot Roe
- 487: Dr. Andrew Hill on How to Build a Better Brain at Home (Starting With Sleep)
- 479: Sarah Greenfield on the Gut + Hormone Connection and Learning From Your Poop
- How to Test Your Gut Microbiome (At Home Without a Doctor)
- Can a Weighted Blanket Transform Your Kids Sleep?
- How to Create a Perfect Sleep Environment
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
Did you enjoy this episode with Dr. Madiha? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Olipop. At least six times a day I get the question, “Mom, can I have an Olipop?” Usually once from each of my kids. And I’m happy to say yes. While I sometimes drink regular soda as a kid and usually felt pretty awful after, I love that my kids get to sip on something that taste like the sodas I grew up with. But unlike other sodas that are full of sugar, corn syrup, and artificial ingredients like aspartame, Olipop is made with natural ingredients that are actually good for you. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber, and botanicals to support your microbiome and to benefit digestive health. We’ve all heard that many people consume much more than the recommended amount of sugar. And Olipop is much, much lower in sugar than conventional sodas, with only 2 to 5 grams of sugar from natural sources and no added sugar. Their vintage cola, for instance, has just 2 grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola that has 39 grams of sugar. I’ve worked out a special deal for my listeners to receive 15% off of your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack if you’re not familiar with them, so you get to sample all of their flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama and use the code “wellnessmama” at checkout to claim this deal.
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s wellness with an E on the end. It’s my personal care brand of products that I created when I realized that some of my friends and family members were still using some pretty toxic personal care products simply because they worked better. I set out to create truly natural products that outperformed conventional alternatives, and Wellnesse is the result. Our super popular whitening toothpaste has been helping families create healthier oral microbiomes for a couple of years now. And our hair food, hair care nourishes the scalp from the outside in, which is why we get so many testimonials about hair regrowth and thicker, healthier hair. But today, I’m excited to tell you about our brand new silk floss. Most floss is actually plastic and can be coated with some pretty unsavory ingredients that you’re rubbing directly into your gums. Since what goes in the mouth goes into the rest of the body, we created a truly natural silk-based floss that is gentle, yet effective at keeping your teeth and gums clean and fresh. Check out our floss and all of our products at wellnesse.com.