This episode goes deep on things like PANS and PANDAS, which I don’t have any firsthand experience with but get many questions about. Dr. Roseann Capanna-Hodge is the founder of the Global Institute of Children’s Mental Health and has been recognized as a thought leader in children’s mental health by Forbes. She’s worked with thousands of families, specifically those with Lyme disease, PANS/PANDAS, and many other conditions.
In this episode, we really go into why we’re seeing a rise in mental health issues in kids, the factors that have changed in the last couple of decades, and why so many kids are getting misdiagnosed.
Dr. Roseann also shares some proactive things we can do to improve our kids’ chances of a healthy life in the first place!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Roseann Capanna-Hodge
- Why we are seeing a rise in mental health issue in kids
- The parenting and academic factors that have changed a lot for our kids
- Physiological factors that affect kids’ mental health
- How MTHFR affects mental health in children and adults
- Why PANS/PANDAS are on the rise
- Symptoms and signs of PANS/PANDAS/AE
- Why so many kids with these issues get missed or misdiagnosed
- How PANS and PANDAS are diagnosed clinically
- The one thing you can do that reduces your risk of Lyme by 50%
- Why to never use essential oil and DEET sprays together
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Raising Kids Successfully (e-course)
- It’s Going to Be OK: Proven Ways to Improve Your Child’s Mental Health by Dr. Roseann Capanna-Hodge
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing
More From Wellness Mama
- 199: How Diet Directly Affects Mental Health With Autumn Smith of Paleovalley
- 376: How to Use Everyday Activities to Rewire the Brain for Calmer Kids With Brain Harmony
- 344: Get Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Yelling, or Losing Control With Amy From Positive Parenting Solutions
- 400th Episode: My Mental Models and 8 Rules for Life
- 102: How to Stay Safe During Tick Season & Avoid Chronic Lyme Disease with Dr. Jay Davidson
- 495: Madiha Saeed on The Holistic Rx for Kids: Parenting Healthy Brains and Bodies in a Changing World
- 497: Dr. Joel Warsh on Integrative Pediatric Care and Combining Western and Alternative Medicine
- What Is a MTHFR Mutation?
- Natural Remedies for ADHD in Children
- 8 Life Lessons to Learn From Children
What did you think of this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. You’ve likely heard me talk about them before and they’re still my source for mushroom infused coffee, tea, drinks, protein powders and more! Mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, Chaga, Cordyceps, and Reishi support the body in various ways, and I find they help me improve focus, sleep, immunity and more! I especially love their coffee packets with Lion’s Mane. They have less caffeine than regular coffee and the Lion’s mane gives an extra boost of energy and focus without the jitters! The packets are especially convenient for on the go or even to add to regular coffee for the extra focus. I always keep a couple in my purse. Check them, and all Four Sigmatic products, out at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use code wellnessmama for 10% off.
This podcast is brought to you by Olipop natural soda. It tastes just like the sodas I grew up with, but unlike other sodas that are full of sugar, corn syrup, and artificial ingredients like aspartame, OLIPOP is made with natural ingredients that are actually good for you. They have delicious nostalgic flavors like Vintage Cola, Classic Root Beer, Orange Squeeze, Cherry Vanilla and Strawberry Vanilla. I personally love the strawberry vanilla and the orange… They are so confident that you will LOVE their products that they offer a 100% money back guarantee for orders placed through their website. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. OLIPOP can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.