Today I’m opening up and sharing about my own inner journey over the past year and how that led to dramatic physical changes without major diet and exercise changes.
If you’d told me a few years ago that something like that was even possible, I would not have believed you. My journey involved realizing firsthand just how connected the mind and body are. I could do all the healthy things I wanted, but ultimately I had to dig deep and learn how to address the mental and emotional aspects I’d ignored for so long.
I’ll share what worked for me and the resources that helped along the way. What worked for me might not work for someone else, but we can share and inspire each other!
Wellness Mama Weight Loss Episode Highlights
- The trauma my body couldn’t forget
- My biggest obstacles to healing, and how I found a way forward
- Ways we self-protect as a result of emotional and physical wounds
- Natural ways to stimulate the vagus nerve (and why you’d want to)
- Why I decided to play instead of exercise
- How I uncovered and corrected my nutrient deficiencies
- The power of tapping for retraining the mind/body connection
- How my view of health and body image has changed
- Tools, apps, books, experts, and other advice that helped me most
- How to talk to our kids about difficult topics (especially our daughters)
- Why I chose to share right now
- And more!
Resources I Mention
- RENPHO scale
- Sauna – Barrel or Infrared
- Oura Ring (Save $50 at this link)
- Align Podcast
- Brittany Watkins
- Erin Pheil
- Everlywell tests
Supplements That Helped
Books I Read
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown (and all Brene Brown books)
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessell Van Der Kolk
- Fearless Living, Change Your Life in 30 Days, and other books by Rhonda Britten
- Diet Bet
- Zero Fasting
- Heads Up Health Dashboard
- The Tapping Solution
- See the full list and my reviews here
More From Wellness Mama
- 95: The Science of Sustainable Weight Loss with Bright Line
- 311: Getting Unstuck From Self-Sabotage With Erin Pheil of MindFix
- 305: A Day in the Life: Wellness Mama Health Routines
- 267: Solving Joint Pain & Why Sports Aren’t Good for Kids With Hunter Fitness
- 339: Healing Trauma, Releasing Shame, Finding Joy & Becoming a Super Attractor With Gabrielle Bernstein
- 440: Working Through Trauma and Understanding the Mind/Body Connection With Ari Langdon
- 483: Mark Wolynn on Why It Didn’t Start With You, Inherited Trauma & How We Heal
- EFT: How Tapping & Emotional Freedom Technique Work
Have you ever gone through a major personal transformation? How did you get “unstuck”? Please join me in the conversation and leave a review on iTunes or drop me a comment or question!
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Fabletics, my go-to source for all types of athletic wear. Fabletics creates clothing that’s made to inspire physical activity in any type of setting. Moreover, Fabletics always aims to create fashionable, on-trend workout clothing at an exceptional price point. Their mantra is ‘Live Your Passion- every day.’ And Fabletics is your ‘one stop shop’ for affordable athletic wear. They have yoga, running, gym gear, sports bras, shoes, accessories and more. In fact, I am wearing leggings and a jacket from them right now as I record this. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style. This takes the guesswork out of what styles are best suitable for you and with just a few clicks, Fabletics is doing all the homework for you. Right now, you also get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) as a VIP by going to fabletics.com/wellnessmama. I personally love (and am currently wearing) the high waisted powerhold leggings and they have some really cute new patterns with cut outs and designs that I am loving. That price is less than half of just a sports bra and some other brands, and just as good of quality. Also, here is a pro tip – make sure you enter your email address at the end of the quiz, as you’ll receive exclusive monthly discounts and the inside scoop about new collections that haven’t been released yet. You will always get free shipping on all orders $49 or more! There is international shipping available. Best part is that there is NO commitment to purchase monthly. All designs are done in-house so you can’t find these pieces anywhere else and you’re going to get a much cheaper price that most stores and a 45-day workout guarantee – Sweat it out for 45 days and if it doesn’t perform, return it for a full refund! Again, check it all out and grab your leggings at fabletics.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is sponsored by The Ready State. If you’re at all like me, you might have perpetual stiffness and pain in your neck and shoulders from years of working, carrying kids and all of the demands of parenting. Or sore hips from too much sitting or multiple pregnancies. I found a great way to relieve my aches and pains and improve my fitness and flexibility. It’s from someone I highly respect… Dr. Kelly Starrett at The Ready State. If you don’t know Kelly, he’s a Mobility and movement coach for Olympic gold medalists, world champions, and pro athletes. He’s the Author of two New York Times bestselling books, including “Becoming a Supple Leopard”, which has sold over half a million copies. He has over 150,000 hours of hands-on experience training athletes at the highest levels. A Doctor of Physical Therapy who helps top companies, military organizations, and universities improve the wellness and resilience of their team members. He created a program called Virtual Mobility Coach. This program is easy to do from home each day, making it ideal for me, and for most moms. And I can do with my kids. Every day, Virtual Mobility Coach gives you fresh, guided video exercises. They show you proven techniques to take care of your body, relieve pain, and improve flexibility. And you can customize your videos in three ways. If you’re in pain, you can pull up a picture of the human body and click on what hurts. And from there, Virtual Mobility Coach will give you a customized pain prescription to help you find relief. Second, you can find a library of soothing recovery routines in the daily maintenance section. They’re a great way to wind-down and practice self-care from the comfort of your home. And third, for athletes, Virtual Mobility Coach also has an entire section of pre- and post-exercise routines for more than four dozen sports and activities. They help you warm-up before your workout so you can perform your best with a lower risk of injury. Right now, you can try Virtual Mobility Coach totally risk-free for two weeks without paying a penny. And after that, you can get 50% off your first three months. Just go to thereadystate.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA50 at checkout. That’s half-off your first three months when you sign up for a monthly plan. And you’ll get personalized techniques to relieve nagging pain and improve your fitness and flexibility.