Aaron Alexander returns with tips on how to get more movement in your life with a few simple changes in your daily routine. Aaron is a manual therapist and movement coach who helps the world’s best athletes, celebrities, and everyone in between to relieve pain, increase strength, and optimize their movement.
Today we talk more about his Align Method™ and dive even deeper on how to leave a sedentary lifestyle behind by designing a life that supports (and challenges!) both mind and body on a daily basis.
Episode Highlights With Align Method
- What science tells us about the mind-body connection behind all movement
- How the way your body moves shapes your mental state and how you feel
- The top 3 things most people get wrong when it comes to movement
- The difference between movement and exercise
- How to design homes and schools to give kids more opportunities to move
- Why the best chair may be no chair at all
- Ways to guard against injury in daily life
- Best positions for deep, supportive sleep
- Specific movements to do during and after pregnancy
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Book: The Align Method: 5 Movement Principles for a Stronger Body, Sharper Mind, and Stress-Proof Life by Aaron Alexander
- Aubrey Marcus
- Ida Rolf, Rolfing Structural Integration
- Yoga swing
- TED Talk, “Your Body Language May Shape Who You Are” by Amy Cuddy
- Sitting Kills by Joan Vernikos
- Muscles and Meridians: The Manipulation of Shape by Philip Beach
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk MD
- Shoulder Pain? The Solution and Prevention by John Kirsch
- Albert Mehrabian studies
More From Wellness Mama
- 273: The Power of Movement for Mind and Body With Aaron Alexander of The Align Podcast
- 221: Natural Movement, Sustainable Fitness, and Lifelong Health With Dr. Mark Cucuzzella
- 250: Sustainable Fitness, Cork, and Benefits of Rolling With Addie Conner
- 88: Pregnancy Exercise, Diastasis, and Pelvic Floor Health with Lorraine Scapens
- 202: How Footwear Affects Posture, Alignment, & Movement With Gordon Hay From ALINE
- 20: Exercise, Movement & Pelvic Floor Health
- How to Build a Treehouse for Fun & Exercise
- How to Improve the Vestibular System with Sensory Swings & Activities
- Backyard Ideas to Keep Kids Playing Outside All Summer
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Fabletics, my go-to source for all types of athletic wear. Fabletics creates clothing that’s made to inspire physical activity in any type of setting. Moreover, Fabletics always aims to create fashionable, on-trend workout clothing at an exceptional price point. Their mantra is ‘Live Your Passion- every day.’ And Fabletics is your ‘one stop shop’ for affordable athletic wear. They have yoga, running, gym gear, sports bras, shoes, accessories and more. In fact, I am wearing leggings and a jacket from them right now. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style. This takes the guesswork out of what styles are best suitable for you and with just a few clicks, Fabletics is doing all the homework for you. Right now, you also get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) as a VIP by going to fabletics.com/wellnessmama. I personally love (and am currently wearing) the high waisted powerhold leggings and they have some really cute new patterns with cut outs and designs that I am loving. That price is less than half of just a sports bra and some other brands, and just as good of quality. Also, here is a pro tip – make sure you enter your email address at the end of the quiz, as you’ll receive exclusive monthly discounts and the inside scoop about new collections that haven’t been released yet. You will always get free shipping on all orders $49 or more! There is international shipping available. Best part is that there is NO commitment to purchase monthly. All designs are done in-house- you can’t find these pieces anywhere else and you’re going to get a much cheaper price that most stores and a 45-day workout guarantee – Sweat it out for 45 days and if it doesn’t perform, return it for a full refund! Again, check it all out and grab your leggings at fabletics.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Radiant Life Catalog. Radiant Life is a woman-owned, family-run online health and wellness company specializing in food-based supplements, nutrient dense foods, eco-friendly housewares and water filtration and purification. After spending over 20 years in the health industry, Radiant Life realized that one of the overlooked components of wellbeing is access to clean, healthy and hydrating water. Now, they have a range of water filters that fix this for every type of house and budget from counter top units to under counter and even whole house like the one we have. Their systems are crafted with a focus on health and wellness. They improve the taste and smell of water but, more importantly, they remove a wide range of potentially harmful contaminants. They also have and in-house water expert is available all the time to guide you through the system selection process and answer all of your questions via phone or email. Their systems are also designed and built in the USA and really high quality. Go to radiantlife.com/wellnessmama and get $200 off a Whole House or 14-Stage Water System with the code WMPODCAST.