Over the last year, I’ve been sharing how I worked through my past trauma and ways that others can start that journey as well. I’m here with Dr. Ariana Langdon, who is a Bastyr-educated naturopathic physician. She was raised in the Ukrainian area of Chicago where she learned plenty of street smarts by age nine. Later in life, her self-education continued with a four-year stint in Europe and Third World travel. Combine all of this with her work as an emergency room doctor for a number of years, and she was convinced of the deep connection between mental and physical trauma.
Today Dr. Ariana and I go deep on trauma recovery, the power of forgiveness, and how working through mental and emotional traumas can have a very physical effect on the body.
Episode Highlights With Ari Langdon
- Her story of working in the medical system and how this led her to work in trauma
- How she learned “you attract the type of patients that are perfect for you”
- The mental-emotional component of trauma
- How she learned to listen and be present to patients rather than imposing her opinions on the patient
- Ways to stay present and focus on self-reflection vs. projecting
- The ways “the body keeps the score” and underlying trauma can manifest in chronic disease and chronic pain
- Her tips for meditation and calm practices
- The importance of community and the effects of isolation
- Why we tend to isolate when we are dealing with tough things and how to move past that
- Tips to build communities of support as you work through trauma
- How the way we were parented affects our emotions as an adult
- What our childhood interactions with our parents can teach us about ourselves
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk M.D
- Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender by David Hawkins
- Iron John: A Book About Men by Robert Bly
More From Wellness Mama
- 483: Mark Wolynn on Why It Didn’t Start With You, Inherited Trauma & How We Heal
- 339: Healing Trauma, Releasing Shame, Finding Joy & Becoming a Super Attractor With Gabrielle Bernstein
- 368: Finding Joy, Developing Intuition & Asking Empowering Questions With Joy Martina
- 311: Getting Unstuck From Self-Sabotage With Erin Pheil of MindFix
- 360: Four Questions to Change Your Life & Doing The Work With Byron Katie
- 411: Breaking the Invisible Corset & Connecting to Your Body With Lauren Geertsen
- 434: Biohacking Joy and Creating Strong Community With Radha Agrawal of Daybreaker
- What Moms Really Need Today (And Every Day)
- Setting a LEGO® Walking World Record with a Relay Team of Moms
- How to Lose Weight: What Worked for Me to Lose 80+ Pounds
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. You’ve likely heard me talk about them before and they’re still my source for mushroom infused coffee, tea, drinks, protein powders and more! Mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, Chaga, Cordyceps, and Reishi support the body in various ways, and I find they help me improve focus, sleep, immunity and more! I especially love their coffee packets with Lion’s Mane. They have less caffeine than regular coffee and the Lion’s mane gives an extra boost of energy and focus without the jitters! The packets are especially convenient for on the go or even to add to regular coffee for the extra focus. I always keep a couple in my purse. Check them, and all Four Sigmatic products, out at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use code wellnessmama for 10% off.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse, that’s Wellnesse with an “e” on the end- my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.