It’s no secret that technology is a big part of our lives and is likely to increase in our everyday lives. It’s no secret either that screen time can be addictive especially for kids. We’re gonna go deep on how we can help kids build a really healthy relationship with technology, mental health for teenagers, and more.
My guest is Katey McPherson, an expert in this area both professionally and as a parent of four daughters. Katey is the regional sales manager of Bark for Schools, a technology focused on keeping kids safe online. She is also a TED Talk speaker and a national public speaker for Youth Mental Health and Suicide Prevention.
I think this is a really timely and important topic to tackle as parents, and especially with so much being virtual after this past year. So, let’s jump in!
Episode Highlights With Katey McPherson
- How to know how much screen time a child can handle and how to separate types of screen time
- A reason to limit all screen time to 2 hours per day
- The three roles parents serve in relation to technology: restrictor, enabler, mentor
- What Bark is and how to use it for kids
- How to have a central charging station in your home to help keep devices away from bedrooms
- What a digital contract is and how to create one in your home
- Nature, physical touch, movement, and connection (4 principles of human connection)
- Why to get your kids on LinkedIn or create their own website (private) and how to use it to their advantage
- How to use the advantages of technology for our kids
- Ways to encourage reading with our kids as they get older – family reading night
- Other things to encourage to keep kids interested in stuff outside technology
- How to keep an eye on teenage mental health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Katey McPherson Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Kindle for Kids
- Positive Parenting Solutions Course
- Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction Is Hijacking Our Kids – and How to Break the Trance
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind
- Parenting in a Tech World
- Naval Ravikant
- Katey’s TED Talk:
More From Wellness Mama
- 390: How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kids for Success With Julie Lythcott-Haims
- 378: Q&A: Health on a Budget, Virtual Schooling, Screen Time, Self Care, Eczema & Giving Blood
- 344: Get Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Yelling, or Losing Control With Amy From Positive Parenting Solutions
- 225: How a New SafetyPin Technology Can Keep Your Family Safer
- 424: Navigating Virtual School, Homework, and an Unpredictable School Year Without Stress With Amy McCready
- 191: Understanding How Gaming Disorder & Gaming Addiction Are Affecting Our Kids
- 119: Cyber Security Tips to Keep Your Family Safer Online
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
- Favorite TED Talks for Moms, Kids and Family
- Why I Don’t Post About My Kids Online
- Why I Started a Weekly Digital Day Off
Did you enjoy this episode? How do you handle technology in your home? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Paleovalley – my go to source for grass fed probiotic rich beef sticks and now some of my favorite supplements as well. They have a vitamin C complex made with three of the most concentrated natural sources of vitamin C: amla berry, camu camu berry, and unripe acerola cherry. Each nutrient-packed serving delivers 750% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C – an amount meant to help you thrive, not just survive. Most other vitamin C supplements are derived from GMO corn and only contain one fraction of the vitamin – ascorbic acid. Their Essential C Complex contains the entire spectrum with absolutely no synthetic vitamin C… just organic superfoods! Check this and all of their products out and save 15% at paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse. We make personal care products that go above and beyond just non-toxic to actually be beneficial for you from the outside in. I realized years ago that even some of my most naturally minded friends and family members who made an effort to eat organic food and be really cognizant of what they brought into their homes were still using certain personal care products, mainly hair care and oral care. And the reason was, they weren’t willing to sacrifice how they looked and felt just to use natural products. And none of the natural products they were finding really lived up to the conventional products as far as how effective they were. So, I resolved to change this and realized I had things that I’ve been making in my kitchen for years that worked just as well and that I could share with other families, and thus Wellnesse was born. You’ve probably heard that what goes on our body gets into our body and that many of the chemicals we encounter end up in our bloodstream. To me, this means non-toxic and safe should be the absolute bare minimum baseline for any products that are in our lives. But I wanted to take it a step further. I wanted it to use this to our advantage to actually put beneficial ingredients in our hair care, toothpaste, personal care products so that we could benefit our body from the outside in. Why not use that wonderful skin barrier to our advantage? Our hair care is packed with ingredients like nettle, which helps hair get thicker over time. Our dry shampoo has scalp promoting products that really help follicles stay strong. And our toothpaste, for instance, has a naturally occurring mineral called hydroxyapatite, which is the exact formulation or exact mineral that’s on our teeth that’s present in strong enamel. So they’re all designed to work with the body, not against it to help you have stronger, healthier hair and teeth. We now have a hand sanitizer that doesn’t dry out your hands like many hand sanitizers do. I would be honored if you would check it out and I would love to hear your feedback. You can find all of our products at wellnesse.com.