Today’s guest is a much-requested second round with Amy McCready, founder of the Positive Parenting Solutions course and the creator of The 7-Step Parenting Success System. These are the most impactful courses I’ve ever taken and it’s been very helpful to me with my kids. If you missed my first interview with her, definitely check it out.
You may have seen Amy on everything from The Today Show to CNN, MSNBC, Rachael Ray, and more. She also authored two best-selling books I love, If I Have to Tell You One More Time and The Me, Me, Me Epidemic.
In this episode, Amy and I go deep into the school topic, since I have heard from a lot of people who are struggling with virtual schooling, homeschooling, or all the alternative methods of schooling that are happening right now. Amy covers practical ways to navigate these situations and how to give your kids (and yourself!) confidence and clarity in these challenging times.
Episode Highlights With Amy McCready
- How to use tools like “what is your plan for that” to help kids take ownership
- Why parents are more involved now that they’ve ever been and why this is a problem
- The long game of parenting and how keeping this in mind can help reduce stress
- What the homework help/schoolwork help policy is and how to use it in your home
- How to use phrases like “I have complete confidence that you can complete this on your own…” and “explain to me your thought process”
- The way to establish homework help hours to make schoolwork and homework more effective for kids
- How much focused time our kids actually need from us each day
- The importance of routine and family contributions
- How to use the “convince me” tool with older kids who want more independence
- Ways to handle the snarkiness and backtalk of the teenage years without losing patience
- How to navigate technology time, especially in a more virtual school environment
- What a when/then routine is and how to use it to your advantage
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 423: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine With Dr. Michele Borba
- 414: Ancestral Parenting, Biological Norms, Wild Food, and Foraging With Arthur Haines
- 390: How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kids for Success With Julie Lythcott-Haims
- 353: A Chat With My Husband: Healthy Living, Working Together, Parenting & Random Things in the Name of Health
- 364: Mindset Strategies to Survive and Thrive as a Homeschooling, Working Parent With Carrie Husse
- 6 Favorite Practical Homeschool Resources (My Kids Love)
- How to Set up a Homeschool Classroom
- My Parenting Rule to Foster Independence (& Save My Sanity)
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
Did you face schooling challenges this year? How did you handle them as a parent/family? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, a delicious soda that is actually good for you. Did you know that most Americans consume more than the recommended daily intake of sugar, by a lot? And sweetened drinks like soda are the leading source of extra sugar? And most of us also don’t get enough fiber! I’ve found a delicious answer to both of these problems and it’s called Olipop. I was so excited to find a truly healthy soda alternative! Olipop uses functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health… and that taste just like soda without the junk! Olipop is much (much) lower in sugar than conventional sodas with only 2-5 grams of sugar from natural sources. No added sugar. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular cola which has 39g of sugar. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal for the Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 20% off plus Free Shipping on their best selling variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. This discount is only valid for their variety pack. Olipop can also be found in over 3,000 stores across the country, including Whole Foods, Sprouts, Kroger, Wegman’s and Erewhon.
This podcast is sponsored by Blublox glasses. Did you know that Blue light damages our eyes and leads to digital eye strain when it comes from artificial sources? Symptoms of digital eye strain are blurred vision, headaches and dry watery eyes. For some this could even cause heightened anxiety, depression, and low energy. I personally noticed that when I was exposed to blue light after dark, I didn’t sleep as well and felt more fatigued the next day. BLUblox are the evidenced backed solution to this problem and made under optics laboratory conditions in Australia. They have over 40 styles and come in prescription and non-prescription so there is a pair for everyone. I also love that BLUblox is also giving back by working in partnership with Restoring Vision in their buy one gift one campaign. For each pair of BLUblox glasses purchased they donate a pair of reading glasses to someone in need. Really awesome company and really awesome mission. Get free shipping worldwide and 20% off by going to blublox.com/wellnessmama or enter code wellnessmama at check out.