Pregnancy doesn’t have to be hard. With a natural, healthy approach, you can successfully prepare and optimize your fertility, your pregnancy, and your postpartum period. In this episode, I sit down with clinical nutritionist Christa Orecchio to discuss how to make pregnancy easier, healthier and happier.
Christa is the founder of TheWholeJourney.com and Gut Thrive in Five, a digestive and immune healing program that has helped thousands to deal with their gut and digestive issues. Christa also hosts a nationally syndicated TV show about health and is the author of the book, Conceive Naturally and Have a Healthy Pregnancy After 30. Christa has helped thousands of patients to use food as medicine and to determine the root cause of their issues by addressing the whole person: body, mind and spirit.
The Five Trimester Approach to Pregnancy
Most people think of pregnancy as 3 trimesters. Some midwives will talk about 4 trimesters. But Christa has a 5 trimester approach to natural conception and pregnancy. So what are these additional trimesters?
- Preconception: This is a very important 3 month period before conception. It’s a critical time for women—and men—to simultaneously cleanse and nourish their bodies in preparation for pregnancy.
- Postpartum: This is the 3 months after pregnancy when it is important for your body rebalance its hormones (this is why consuming your placenta is so effective).
Nutrition Before, During & After Pregnancy
Christa recommends a preconception plan for both men and women to adjust their diet and supplements to optimize the process. In this stage, both parties should scale back on things like alcohol, caffeine, sugar, gluten and pasteurized dairy. Supplementation should include maca (black for dad and yellow for mom).
Preconception plan should include:
- Scale back on things like alcohol, caffeine, sugar, gluten and pasteurized dairy.
- Supplementation with maca (black for dad and yellow for mom), grass-fed beef liver, probiotics, vitamin D, bone broth and a high-quality multivitamin.
- If conception is difficult, get lab tests for food sensitivities, thyroid antibodies and genetic mutation.
- Focus on getting plenty of protein in your diet in your 1st trimester
- Focus on folate-rich foods and kidney-supporting foods in 1st trimester
- High-quality salt and mineralized water.
- In 2nd trimester, focus on vitamin C, calcium and magnesium.
- In the 3rd trimester focus on getting plenty of healthy fats in your diet
- Start supplementing with maca again to modulate estrogen levels
- Placenta encapsulation to avoid a drop in progesterone
- Get protein and healthy fat within 1 hour of waking
Stock up on Bone Broth
Part of Christa’s recommendations in this episode includes consuming bone broth. Just go to this link and use the code wellnessmama5 to save on Christa’s favorite broth!
More From Wellness Mama
- 474: Aimee Raupp on The Egg Quality Diet for Fertility & Healthy Pregnancy
- 17: Reversing Infertility and PCOS Naturally (Alisa Vitti)
- 108: Why the Birth Control Pill Screws Up Hormones and What to Use Instead (Nicole Jardim)
- How Thyroid Disease Affects Pregnancy & Fertility
- Natural Alternatives to Hormonal Contraception
Thanks for Listening
If you’re enjoying the podcast, please share it with family and friends via email or using the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast via iTunes so you don’t miss any future episodes, and please leave an honest rating and review of the podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews really matter in the rankings of my podcast and I greatly appreciate every review and read each one.