Today’s episode is more of a vulnerable one for me. I’m back with Morley Robbins, magnesium and mineral expert and founder of the Root Cause Protocol. Morley is one of the foremost experts on magnesium’s role in the body and the delicate dance it plays with iron, copper, and calcium.
Since Morley understands this at such a deep level, I decided to get hair and blood testing done and have Morley go over the results. It’s really fascinating to see how he can analyze the two tests together and draw interesting insights. For example, high levels of magnesium on my hair test mean my body is burning through it a lot. And it actually indicates I need more (not less) magnesium.
While these are my personal results, they indicate I’m under a lot of stress (no surprise there!). Most of us have stress of some kind and deal with a lot of the issues seen in my personal results. Things like estrogen dominance, iron imbalance, and not enough copper.
Morley goes really deep into what’s going on in my body, how minerals play a huge role, and which factors are common in other people (especially moms). We also go over what foods and supplements to take, when and why to do castor oil packs, progesterone’s role, stress reduction techniques that work, and so much more.
I always learn so much from my talks with Morley, and I hope you’ll join us and listen in!
Episode Highlights With Morley
- What my labs say about what’s going on in my body and in my life
- Why he did a hair test and a blood test and what the results say together
- What showed up… surprise! I have some stress going on
- More data about the importance of addressing stress and how it shows up in lab work
- Oxidative stress in the body and what this means
- The minerals that drive liver metabolism and why I am low on these
- Why high magnesium on my hair test doesn’t mean I need less magnesium and actually means I need more
- The reason women especially tend to get estrogen dominance paired with adrenaline dominance and iron dominance
- Why progesterone is important but supplemental might not be necessary if we balance copper and magnesium
- How we lose copper and what to do about it (cortisol depletes copper)
- Ways to use techniques like EFT, EMDR, Emotion Code, etc to help with stress
- Why my hemoglobin is low and what this means for my iron recycling
- Labs that point to my liver being slow because of excess iron and how castor oil packs, quercetin and supplemental copper, retinol and magnesium may help
- Why it was probably a good thing that I gave blood
- The two most important proteins for regulating the health of the body in his opinion and how they relate to iron status
- Good food and supplement sources of retinol, and copper
- One unusual lab result that means I might have parasites
- It takes 56 days for blood to rebuild itself and why this means we can make improvements fast
- Minerals run the body and hormones respond to minerals and not vice versa
- More reasons to avoid processed food… as if we needed more reasons
Resources We Mention
- The Root Cause Protocol – Morley’s site
- 614: Morley Robbins on Thyroid Health, Retinol, Magnesium, and the Real Story of Aging
- 596: Morley Robbins on Magnesium, Stress, Mineral Balance and the Root Cause Protocol
- Essential C from Paleovalley
- Rosita – Cod Liver Oil
- Queen of Thrones – Castor Oil Packs
- Adrenaline Dominance: A Revolutionary Approach to Wellness by Michael E. Platt
More From Wellness Mama
- 616: The One About Magnesium – Short Series
- 659: Silica, Salt, and Minerals for Collagen and Overall Health With Eidon Minerals
- 313: The Tapping Solution to Reduce Anxiety, Stress, and Pain With Nick Ortner
- 582: Frank Elaridi on the Power of Emotions and Hidden Trauma (And How to Clear Them)
- How to Make & Use Castor Oil Packs
- EFT: How Tapping & Emotional Freedom Technique Work