Today’s podcast is all about specific minerals, including silica and sea salt, and why they’re so vital for us (and plants!). And I’m here with Rick Wagner, the founder and CEO of Eidon Ionic Minerals, a company that makes ionic liquid mineral supplements. Rick is also a certified nutritionist and has a master’s degree from San Diego State University. His passion in life is educating others on the importance of minerals, a healthy lifestyle, and diet for maintaining a healthy mind and body.
We talk about the pitfalls of germ theory and how Western medicine misses the mark with its approach to healthcare. Rick shares how nourishing our bodies at a cellular level is what helps keep our organ systems healthy and ultimately our bodies functioning optimally. We also talk about the importance of minerals like silica for osteoarthritis and healthy bones as we age. Plus why loading up on the calcium supplements may actually make things worse.
I haven’t had the chance to really talk about silica on this podcast yet, but I’ve experimented with it for the past 6 months and I’m impressed with what I’m seeing. My older kids are also taking silica for joint protection since they’re so involved in sports and heavy movement. So I’m really excited to get to share all of this information on minerals with you today!
Episode Highlights With Rick
- What we are made of and how minerals come into play
- Where do you think you came from?
- We are a combination of minerals and water (among other things)
- Why the Germ Theory of Disease is inadequate
- The reason western medicine misses things by just looking at the level of germs or of the organ systems and not looking at the cellular level and mineral balance
- Mineral balance theory of disease and how to support the body
- The benefit of adding sea salt to the soil in gardening
- A reason not to take calcium everyday and how too much can be toxic
- The real story about calcium, how much we need, and the other minerals we need with it
- Why silica is so important for health and why we aren’t getting anywhere near enough
- Silica is the essential element that builds collagen
- Bone is collagen matrix… and why we don’t need more calcium most of the time but more collagen matrix which can be helped by minerals and silica
- How to supplement with minerals so they are effective in the body
- Importance of potassium and magnesium
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 638: Dr. Chris Masterjohn on Understanding Key Nutrients: Biotin, Sodium, Potassium, and Omega-3s
- 596: Morley Robbins on Magnesium, Stress, Mineral Balance and the Root Cause Protocol
- 334: Why We Need Salt (& How Much) With Robb Wolf
- 662: Why Most of Us Are Mineral Deficient, How to Know, and What to Do About It With Barton Scott
- Is Fluoride Bad for You? Effects for Thyroid & Body
- 5 Reasons to Eat MORE Salt
- The Problem with Calcium Supplements