Today I have the pleasure of talking with Gabrielle Bernstein (again!). She’s one of the amazing people who had a profound influence on me as I worked through my own trauma. You can find my previous podcast episode with her here.
Gabby has written 9 New York Times bestsellers and today we discuss her latest book “Happy Days.” We’ll cover how what she’s discovered in her wellness journey can help all of us get through the other side to a place of health and wellness (both mentally and physically).
In this episode, Gabby and I talk about why mental health is so important and often ignored, especially by moms. How even little “t” traumas can have a big impact on our mental, emotional, and physical health. Her work has been very helpful in my own journey to resolving trauma (and therefore improving my physical health) and I hope it can be a help for you too.
Episode Highlights With Gabby Bernstein
- How she learned how to ride a unicycle!
- What inspired her current work and her most recent book
- Why there is a tendency to minimize trauma or compare it to others
- How to use things like somatic therapies and IFS to process and release trauma
- Trauma is the inability to be present
- What somatic experiencing therapy is and how it can help
- Practices to help regulate your nervous system if you’ve experienced trauma
- Her mental health first aid kit and how to use these tools
- Maternal mental health tools and why as moms, it is so important to take care of our own mental health
- Why she’s trying to break the stigma of medication for mental health when needed
- Her journey with postpartum depression and how she moved past it
- What it means to reparent yourself and how this can benefit your children
Resources We Mention
- Happy Days: The Guided Path from Trauma to Profound Freedom and Inner Peace by Gabrielle Bernstein
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- It Didn’t Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn
- Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation by Shakti Gawain
More From Wellness Mama
- 483: Mark Wolynn on Why It Didn’t Start With You, Inherited Trauma & How We Heal
- 513: Tanner Wallace on Childhood Trauma, Attachment Wounds, and How to Heal
- 454: Dr. Jennifer Tippett on Trauma Therapy, Never Wasting Triggers, and Psychedelic Research
- 440: Dr. Ari Langdon on Working Through Trauma & Understanding the Mind/Body Connection
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 668: Rewiring the Subconscious Mind, Learning Self Love & Finding Peace With Stephanie Kwong
- 563: Lori Gottlieb on Maybe You Should Talk to Someone & How Changing Your Story Can Change Your Life
- 584: Tucker Max on the Most Significant Finding for Processing Emotions, Trauma, and PTSD
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.