I’m here with Dr. Jennifer Tippett, a licensed clinical psychologist in the Denver Metro area. Dr. Tippett has been working with patients with mental illness and substance misuse for a decade. She’s the director of the Substance Use Disorder specialty at the University of Denver’s Graduate School of Professional Psychology, where she teaches the sequence of graduate-level courses about the neurobiology of trauma, addiction, and behavioral addictions. She also has a small private practice where she provides psychedelic integration and ketamine-assisted psychotherapy.
I wanted to have her on because these things have been helpful to me in my own life, and because we’re likely going to see the clinical legalization of substances in the United States in the next couple of years. I think education around this topic ahead of time is vitally important, as it can be easily misunderstood or even misused.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Jennifer Tippett
- The astounding research on certain therapies for PTSD and severe trauma
- How these therapies can have a lasting effect without continued use
- The downsides of SSRIs and what to be aware of
- How trauma lives in the body and how this gives us a window to address it
- The role of somatic therapies in trauma processing
- How ACE (adverse childhood experiences) play a role in the trauma response
- Clinical research on ketamine and how it is being used in patients with depression
- The vital importance of integration for processing any type of trauma or trauma therapy
- Why couples are each other’s perfect triggers and how to reframe couple disagreements
- Complementary and alternative therapies that work with these types of therapy
- The surprising roots of the stigma around psychedelics
- Important safety and risk information
- Problems and barriers with access to these therapies for people who need them most
- What the future holds for clinical use of psychedelics and ketamines
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 447: Kambo Frog Medicine for Detox, Healing, and Trauma Release With Todd Shipman
- 445: Understanding Consciousness, Ego & How to Reduce Suffering With Polymath Dr. Ted Achacoso
- 446: Part 2: The Science of Psychedelics (& Why I Took Drugs) With World’s Smartest Doctor Ted Achacoso
- 343: How to Balance Neurotransmitters Naturally With Dr. Ann-Marie Barter
- 440: Working Through Trauma and Understanding the Mind/Body Connection With Ari Langdon
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 288: Breakthrough Solutions for Anxiety, Depression and PTSD With Apollo Founder Dr. David Rabin
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by my friends at Four Sigmatic, my long-time source for superfood mushroom infused beverages like tea, coffee and elixirs. I’ve also really been enjoying their new plant based protein powder, infused with 7 functional mushrooms, adaptogens and no harmful fillers, it’s easy to add to smoothies or drink on its own in water. I’ve even made a whipped cappuccino smoothie using their vanilla protein powder and lion’s mane coffee packets and it was delicious. If you are new to functional mushrooms, I also highly recommend their reishi packets at night for better sleep. Check those, and all Four Sigmatic products, out at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and Use code wellnessmama for 10% off.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.