This episode is all about the chemicals you encounter on a daily basis without even realizing it. Today, I’m here with Kale Schulte, who has worked in research and development on various products for 15 years. He’s also chemically sensitive and has an innate natural ability to smell and react to scents, making him effective in formulating products.
We go deep into how he got into the world of formulating natural products, what to watch for in your products, and why companies aren’t required to disclose ingredients in care products. We also discuss why we should be careful about scents in products like air fresheners, perfumes, laundry, etc., why indoor air is often the most toxic, and what you can do about it.
Without further ado, let’s join Kale.
Episode Highlights With Kale Schulte
- How he grew up in a botanical garden and how this influenced his life
- The way he got into the world of natural products
- Biggest offenders in personal care products and what to watch for
- Why companies aren’t required to disclose ingredients in care products
- The reason to be careful about artificial scents in products
- Why indoor air in the house is often the most toxic
- Guidelines for which scents can be beneficial and which ones to use
- How he puts cannabinoids into his products to benefit the body from outside in
- Interesting compounds that help things move through the skin in a beneficial way
- How scent and biochemistry come into play with dating
- His advice: be in tune with your body over product marketing
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Kale Schulte’s Instagram
- EWG Skin Deep database
- Wellness Mama deodorant recipes
- How to Make Beeswax Candles
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Red Rising series by Pierce Brown
More From Wellness Mama
- 381: How to Protect Indoor Air Quality From Viruses, Contaminants and Smoke With Peter Spiegel of AirDoctor
- 494: Emily Blain on What’s Wrong With Your Personal Care Products and Creating Sustainable and Ethical Ones
- 181: Marilee Nelson on How to Find Truly Natural & Non-Toxic Products
- 198: Leah Segedie on How to Avoid the Worst Offenders in Your Home
- 379: Why Your Home Isn’t As Non-Toxic As You Think (& How to Fix It) With Kelly Love of Branch Basics
- 065: Retha Nesmith on Aromatherapy & Safe Essential Oil Use
- Do We Really Need Air Filters? (+ Reviews)
- 11 Natural Ways to Clean Indoor Air
- The Best Houseplants for Purifying Indoor Air
- Best Essential Oil Diffusers: Reviews & What I Use
- Problems With Perfumes and Fragrances
- Why I Don’t Use Scented Candles
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.