This episode is all about the chemicals you encounter on a daily basis without even realizing it. Today, I’m here with Kale Schulte, who has worked in research and development on various products for 15 years. He’s also chemically sensitive and has an innate natural ability to smell and react to scents, making him effective in formulating products.
We go deep into how he got into the world of formulating natural products, what to watch for in your products, and why companies aren’t required to disclose ingredients in care products. We also discuss why we should be careful about scents in products like air fresheners, perfumes, laundry, etc., why indoor air is often the most toxic, and what you can do about it.
Without further ado, let’s join Kale.
Episode Highlights With Kale Schulte
- How he grew up in a botanical garden and how this influenced his life
- The way he got into the world of natural products
- Biggest offenders in personal care products and what to watch for
- Why companies aren’t required to disclose ingredients in care products
- The reason to be careful about artificial scents in products
- Why indoor air in the house is often the most toxic
- Guidelines for which scents can be beneficial and which ones to use
- How he puts cannabinoids into his products to benefit the body from outside in
- Interesting compounds that help things move through the skin in a beneficial way
- How scent and biochemistry come into play with dating
- His advice: be in tune with your body over product marketing
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Kale Schulte’s Instagram
- EWG Skin Deep database
- Wellness Mama deodorant recipes
- How to Make Beeswax Candles
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Red Rising series by Pierce Brown
More From Wellness Mama
- 381: How to Protect Indoor Air Quality From Viruses, Contaminants and Smoke With Peter Spiegel of AirDoctor
- 494: Emily Blain on What’s Wrong With Your Personal Care Products and Creating Sustainable and Ethical Ones
- 181: Marilee Nelson on How to Find Truly Natural & Non-Toxic Products
- 198: Leah Segedie on How to Avoid the Worst Offenders in Your Home
- 379: Why Your Home Isn’t As Non-Toxic As You Think (& How to Fix It) With Kelly Love of Branch Basics
- 065: Retha Nesmith on Aromatherapy & Safe Essential Oil Use
- Do We Really Need Air Filters? (+ Reviews)
- 11 Natural Ways to Clean Indoor Air
- The Best Houseplants for Purifying Indoor Air
- Best Essential Oil Diffusers: Reviews & What I Use
- Problems With Perfumes and Fragrances
- Why I Don’t Use Scented Candles
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley – a company that is near and dear to my heart. I really like all of their products and my family especially loves their 100% grass fed beef sticks, which are a clean, gut-friendly protein snack option. They never last long in my house because my kids enjoy them so much, and I love how seriously Paleovalley takes creating healthy and environmentally friendly products. Paleovalley Grass fed beef sticks are the real deal. They are sourced from 100% grass fed and finished cows that are never fed grains or harmful antibiotics. And they come from small, family owned farms right here in the USA that practice rotational grazing, meaning farmers literally rotate the pastures in which their cows graze. So they aren’t feeding on the same soil forever, depleting its nutrients. This means the cows are helping increase the nutrient density in the soil and put carbon back in the soil where it belongs. Another important difference- Virtually every other meat snack on the market is made with a processing agent called encapsulated citric acid (ECA). Companies use this in order to guarantee a long shelf life for their products but one study from The University of Illinois at Chicago found ECA can cause: Joint discomfort caused by stiffness and swelling, muscle aches, upset stomach, and shortness of breath! Instead, Paleovalley Beef sticks use old world methods of fermentation, which gives the beef sticks a long shelf life without the use of harmful acids and chemicals. They’re also free of Brominated Vegetable Oil, hormones, and MSG and the natural fermentation process means they are a good source of probiotics. Check out the amazing beef sticks and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s wellness with an E on the end. The brand I co-founded when I realized there just weren’t truly natural alternatives to some personal care products that performed as well as many conventional brands. We’ve been sharing our popular toothpaste and haircare for almost two years, but today I’m excited to tell you about a new star in our lineup. The charcoal toothpaste that provides the same mineral-rich benefits as our original whitening formula with a boost of charcoal for extra whitening and mouth-supporting benefits. It’s made without glycerin using oral microbiome-friendly ingredients to help your body create stronger, healthier, whiter teeth while you sleep. I love to use charcoal and whitening toothpaste on alternating days to keep my teeth looking and feeling their best. You can check out our toothpaste and all of our products at wellnesse.com.