Today, I’m here with Ryan Duey, the co-founder of Plunge, whose mission is to make cold plunging as common as coffee. He is also the co-owner of Capitol Floats, Sacramento’s premier float center. Ryan’s journey into health and wellness began when a near-death experience in Spain catapulted him into a journey of self-inquiry, leading him to the jungles of the Amazon and the inside of a float tank.
We discuss many topics in this episode including the benefits of cold therapy, why cold therapy causes stress (and why this is a good thing), how it benefits our nervous system and immune system, and what happens when the shiver response is engaged. We also talk about the details of cold plunges—optimal temperature, how long you can stay in, who can do it, and is it ok for kids to do it?
This is a very fact-packed episode. I also share why I’ve been incorporating cold plunges in my own life more. Let’s join Ryan.
Episode Highlights With Ryan Duey
- How Ryan got into cold therapy
- Why cold therapy causes stress and why this is a good thing
- How cold benefits the nervous system and immune system
- Why cold therapy can boost metabolism and help your sleep
- The details of using contrast—hot, cold, hot, cold—and what benefits it provides
- What happens when the shiver response is engaged
- How to get started with cold plunging and tips to help build up to it
- Optimal temperature ranges for best results
- How long to stay in cold to start getting benefits
- How he and his co-founder created a more affordable cold plunge option
- The reason cold might help with anxiety and depression
- His 80/20 non-negotiables for health and wellness
- How floating can positively impact our bodies
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Neoprene boots and socks
- Dr. Huberman’s podcast episode – How to Burn Fat
- Who Dies?: An Investigation of Conscious Living and Conscious Dying by Stephen Levine
More From Wellness Mama
- 232: 8 Lessons I Learned From Finland
- 130: Dave Asprey on Biohacking for Moms and How to Reverse Aging
- 384: Building a Village, Creating Strong Relationships & Biohacking Tips With Michael Trainer
- 417: The Energy Formula and Biohacking From Home With Shawn Wells
- 245: Ari Whitten on Fighting Fatigue with Sauna, Sun, & Sweating
- 433: The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Has Got Up and Gone With Dr. Gundry
- 500: Recurring Themes, Key Takeaways, & Book Recommendations
- 270: Tara Youngblood on Better Sleep With ChiliPad
- Cryotherapy: Healthy or Hype?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by BiOptimizers, and specifically their Magnesium Breakthrough… their organic full-spectrum magnesium supplement that includes 7 unique forms of magnesium Listen, if you feel stressed, or have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, or never feel fully rested, one of the best things you can possibly do is start getting enough magnesium. I’ve been writing about magnesium for years, and that’s because the body needs it for over 300 reactions! Yet the majority of us don’t get anywhere near enough and things like stress, caffeine, lack of sleep and even certain foods further deplete us! But doNOT run to the store to buy the first magnesium supplement you find. Most magnesium supplements use only the two cheapest synthetic forms. And, since they’re not full-spectrum, they won’t fix your magnesium deficiency or help you sleep better. There are actually 7 unique forms of magnesium, and you must get ALL of them if you want to experience the calming, sleep-enhancing effects. That’s why I recommend Magnesium Breakthrough by BiOptimizers. Simply take two capsules before you go to bed and you’ll be amazed by the effect it has on your stress, how much better you sleep, and how much more rested you feel when you wake up. You will finally have the energy to enjoy quality time with your kiddos and family. For an exclusive offer for my listeners go to magbreakthrough.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama to save 10% when you try Magnesium Breakthrough.
This podcast is brought to you by Paleovalley. You might have heard me talk about them before because my family really loves their products, especially their beef sticks, but another one we use daily this time of year is their Essential C. Vitamin C is well known for its ability to support a strong immune system and They use 3 of the most potent, vitamin C rich superfoods on the planet: The Amla Berry, The Camu Camu Berry, and the Acerola Cherry – for 450 mg of natural, whole food sourced vitamin C per serving. Nothing synthetic. No harsh chemicals. Just food. And this is important because food doesn’t have the nutrient density it once did. In fact, because of the damage done to our topsoil from overharvesting and aggressive agricultural methods, the soil is less nutrient dense and therefore the food that grows in that soil is less nutrient dense. One study found you’d have to eat 8 oranges today to get the nutrients our grandparents would’ve gotten from one orange when they were young. And, humans are one of the only mammals that don’t make our own vitamin C, meaning it’s vital we get it from our diet. Studies have shown that Vitamin C can benefit mental health, sleep quality and of course immunity. And can also lower the stress hormone cortisol in the body. Check out this Essential C supplement and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!