My guest today is Michael Trainer, a biohacker and social impact entrepreneur making a huge difference in the world. He is the co-creator of Global Citizen, a movement dedicated to ending extreme poverty. He’s also the creator of Peak Mind, which brings together thought leaders to inspire a new vision of leadership.
As you can guess, we have lots of fun going deep into ways to optimize health routines and increase mindfulness. We share a fascination with the 80/20 principle and ways to apply that to daily life, so this episode comes packed with lots of practical ideas for that.
I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed recording it!
Episode Highlights With Michael Trainer
- Why Michael created organizations to help solve global poverty and mental health struggles (& how he set out to do it)
- Ideas for your morning routine (and what Michael does)
- Why the quality of our long term relationships is the biggest predictor of health
- Reasons to take a cold shower or a cold plunge (and how to work up to it)
- What he considers the 80/20 of effective practices (many are free!)
- The most important things to do to avoid chronic inflammation
- Practical strategies for keeping your brain healthy and reducing the risk of dementia
- The benefits of daily meditation for the brain and body
- Which skills will be the most important in our rapidly changing world
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Peak Mind
- ManKind Project
- Naval Ravikant website | podcast
- Genetic Testing at Home
- LMNT Electrolyte Drink
- Broken Brain (Mark Hyman)
- How To Make Sole
- 297: Why the Wahls Protocol Works for More Than MS: An Update With Dr. Terry Wahls
- TED Talk on Circadian Biology
- 8 Sauna Benefits for Body and Mind
- Ice Bath Benefits: How Cold Therapy Improves the Body and the Brain
- The End of Alzheimer’s Program: The First Protocol to Enhance Cognition and Reverse Decline at Any Age
- The Artist’s Way and Morning Pages Companion Journal
- The Lion Tracker’s Guide to Life
- The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Grain Brainby Dr. Perlmutter
More From Wellness Mama
- 382: World-Renowned Mindset Expert on High Performance and Setting Our Kids Up for Success With Elliot Roe
- 311: Getting Unstuck From Self-Sabotage With Erin Pheil of MindFix
- 332: An Eastern, Ancient Traditional Approach to Health & Longevity With Simon Cheng of Pique Tea
- 253: A (Semi) Serious Ultra-Spiritual Conversation With JP Sears
- 366: The Man Who Forgot to Die on Remembering to Live With Khalil Rafati
- 107: Improve Your Brain to Avoid Alzheimer’s, Dementia, & Memory Loss With Dr. Perlmutter
Did you like this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Gladskin, an incredible new product and resource for anyone who is struggling with eczema. This product is rooted in a really unique scientific understanding of the skin’s microbiome. Gladskin has unearthed an innovative new way to solve eczema that helps to treat the root and not just the symptom. It’s a new category of non-prescription eczema treatment rooted in endolysin science, and has received recognition from today’s leading dermatologists and pediatricians. While most microbiome studies have focused on the health implications of what’s found deep in the gut we’re now finding that healthy skin, just like a healthy gut, requires a balance of bacteria. In fact, four out of five people with eczema have a specific type of imbalance in their skin bacteria or their skin microbiome. And this is where Gladskin comes in. When the skin balance bacteria gets out of balance, eczema is more likely to flare. So a targeted approach to that takes into account the microbiome’s good and bad bacteria is critical to relieving the redness and itching of eczema. Although new and unique in its approach in the U.S., this has already been a proven solution for eczema in Europe for five years and received recognition from leading dermatologists and pediatricians. It’s also been accepted by the National Eczema Association and is a different approach altogether compared to steroid creams and traditional over the counter moisturizers. The best part of Gladskin is hypoallergenic and free of steroids, fragrances, drying alcohols, and harmful preservatives. It’s stored fresh in a pharmaceutical quality bottle so they don’t need to use the chemical preservatives found in most over the counter creams and lotions. I hear from a lot of you whose children have eczema, and I’m so excited to get to share this resource. You can find out more and get an automatic 10% discount by going to wellnessmama.com/go/gladskin. To get a 10% discount, it should be automatic, but you can also use the code WellnessMama10 if you have any trouble.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that creates products that go beyond just safe and natural and contain beneficial ingredients that nourish your body from the outside in. Many “clean” products simply don’t work. This is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but also have ingredients that work better than the conventional alternatives by your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to share these products with you and am especially proud of our whitening toothpaste which took years of formulating and dozens of rounds of tweaks to perfect. Our whitening toothpaste supports a healthy oral microbiome and strengthens tooth enamel naturally using ingredients such as hydroxyapatite, neem, and green tea to support tooth and gum health. Instead of fluoride, our formula contains green tea leaf extract, which is loaded with antioxidants. Plus, a phytochemical in green tea is shown to fight bacteria that leads to tooth decay. We combined this phytochemical with hydroxyapatite (a naturally-occurring mineral and main component of tooth enamel) to strengthen teeth and prevent cavities. Of course, fresh breath is paramount to good teeth brushing, and for that, we included peppermint leaf extract and neem. Neem prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth and turning into plaque. This protective measure means fewer bacteria, which leads to…fresher breath! Check out our whitening toothpaste and all of our products at Wellnesse.com. A tip – if you purchase a bundle or use auto-ship, you will receive a discount on both of those orders!