You all really enjoyed Shawn Wells the first time he was on, and I’m glad to say he’s back again! Shawn has written a fascinating new book, The Energy Formula, and it’s safe to say we all want more of that!
Just to tell you a little about Shawn, he is one of the world’s leading nutritional biochemists and has personally formulated over 500 supplements and cosmeceuticals, as well as patents on 10 novel ingredients. He is also formerly a chief clinical dietitian with over a decade of clinical experience.
Today we cover some very specific advice on ways you can have more energy, and how this equation is a little bit different for each individual person.
Episode Highlights With Shawn Wells
- The biggest factors for having more energy
- A subtle but important shift in mindset that makes a big difference in health
- What we can actually learn from data and studies (and what the limitations are)
- How to increase compliance and actually stick to changes
- Some simple labs to track to see if something is working for you (HA1c, CRP, oxidized LDL), glucose, HRV, etc
- How to figure out the healthiest diet for you personally
- What sirtuins are and why these matter (for aging)
- Some easy exercise hacks to make it more efficient
- A reason to stop doing cardio
- The power of “I am” statements for creating change
- How a growth mindset helps us improve in every area
- Ways to increase resilience and use hormesis to our advantage
- How stoicism relates to health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Shawn Wells
- The Energy Formula by Shawn Wells
- Heads Up Health
- Vitamin D
- 147: Using Heart Rate Variability with HeartMath to Stop Stress & Improve Nervous System Health
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Paleovalley. They make amazing grass fed beef sticks are the only beef sticks in the USA made from 100% grass fed/grass finished beef and organic spices that are naturally fermented. old world methods of fermenting our sticks so they are shelf stable without the use of chemicals or questionable ingredients. Virtually all other similar snack stick products use GMO corn-based citric acid encapsulated in hydrogenated oils to process their products. Thanks to this fermentation process, each stick contains gut-friendly probiotics! My kids love them and I can never keep them in the house, so now we are just on a regular auto order. Go to paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off.
This podcast is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, my go-to source for functional mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, chaga, cordyceps and more. Recently, I’ve really been enjoying their protein powder… it has 18g of pure plant proteins, 7 functional mushrooms and adaptogens, real organic vanilla, and not a single grain, gum, or gram of stevia. I love adding the vanilla to a smoothie with some berries for an easy meal (and my kids love it too). The Peanut Butter flavor blended with some cacao and macadamia milk makes a great protein-packed afternoon pick me up. If you haven’t tried Four Sigmatic, I also love their lion’s mane coffee in the morning and reishi packets at night! Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and code wellnessmama gives 10% off