I’m excited to have Steve Wright back on the podcast today. He’s the founder of healthygut.com and has a lot of expertise specific to gut and health issues. I wanted to bring him back to talk about the promising research on tributyrin, which is a new molecule that I’ve been using that helped in my Hashimoto’s remission. It’s also been helpful for a couple of my kids with allergies and eczema. Tributyrin is considered a breakthrough molecule for microbiome, histamine, and leaky gut and we explain why in this episode.
We talk about what butyrate is, how it’s produced and the new information we know about leaky gut and how this comes into play. We also touch on restrictive diets and how they can reduce butyrate production over time and how to fix it. For anyone dealing with increased histamine response or mast cells, we talk about why tributyrin is different from other supplemental forms of butyrate and the very specific gut effects it can have. Steve also talks about how to dose supplements and to find the 80/20 that works best for you.
Let’s chat with Steve!
Episode Highlights With Steve Wright
- What butyrate is and how it is produced
- How our gut bacteria feeds on some of the food we eat to create postbiotics
- The complex biochemical process in the gut and how it affects the whole body
- What anaerobic bacteria are and why they are important to understand
- The new information we know about leaky gut and the four layers involved
- How restrictive diets can reduce butyrate production and how to fix it
- Understanding the histamine response and how to regulate it
- What mast cells are and how they work
- How tributyrin is different from other supplemental forms
- The effects in research and in patients for digestive issues with tributyrin
- How butyrate and magnesium interact
- Can butyrate be helpful in cancer research – what the data shows
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 258: Beating SIBO, IBS, and Histamine Intolerance With A Gutsy Girl Sarah Kay Hoffman
- 327: Optimizing Gut Health to Keep the Immune System Strong With Tina Anderson
- 404: Understanding Mast Cell Activation and Histamine Intolerance With Dr. Beth O’Hara
- Leaky Gut Diet – My Experience with GAPS & SCD
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Olipop. At least six times a day I get the question, “Mom, can I have an Olipop?” Usually once from each of my kids. And I’m happy to say yes. While I sometimes drink regular soda as a kid and usually felt pretty awful after, I love that my kids get to sip on something that taste like the sodas I grew up with. But unlike other sodas that are full of sugar, corn syrup, and artificial ingredients like aspartame, Olipop is made with natural ingredients that are actually good for you. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber, and botanicals to support your microbiome and to benefit digestive health. We’ve all heard that many people consume much more than the recommended amount of sugar. And Olipop is much, much lower in sugar than conventional sodas, with only 2 to 5 grams of sugar from natural sources and no added sugar. Their vintage cola, for instance, has just 2 grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola that has 39 grams of sugar. I’ve worked out a special deal for my listeners to receive 15% off of your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack if you’re not familiar with them, so you get to sample all of their flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama and use the code “wellnessmama” at checkout to claim this deal.
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s Wellness with an “e” on the end… my all-natural personal care line. Our whitening toothpaste is a mineralizing blend of natural ingredients that supports oral health naturally. It’s based on the original recipe I developed over a decade ago, and has been through almost a hundred iterations to create the best natural toothpaste available. Many types of toothpaste contain ingredients you might find in paint and that you certainly don’t want in your mouth, but ours is enamel friendly and oral biome friendly to keep your teeth and gums happy all day long! Check out the whitening toothpaste and all of our products, including our natural “hair food” haircare at Wellnesse.com.