Just when you think we’ve touched on every health topic possible, something new and exciting comes up! I’m here with Steven Wright, a medical engineer, Kalish Functional Institute graduate, and expert in an emerging area of gut health: enzymes! It turns out they don’t just help with digestion but also with a whole list of immune-balancing and inflammation-reducing functions in the body.
There’s still a lot we have to learn about enzymes, but the current research is incredibly interesting and I think we’ll all be focusing on this as one of the next frontiers in health. I know enzymes made a huge difference for me personally and are now something I take daily.
If you struggle with any autoimmune disease, food intolerance, digestive issues, or even premature aging, this episode is full of info you won’t want to miss!
Episode Highlights With Steve Wright
- What we know (and don’t know) about enzymes and how they affect health
- The main types of enzymes and how they function in the body
- Why enzymes are not just in your stomach!
- One important reason to chew your food really well
- Reasons enzymes decrease over time and their impact on aging
- How food intolerances develop and how enzymes can help
- What CICs are and why they’re an important indicator of inflammation issues
- What autoimmune disease has to do with enzyme levels
- How enzymes are being used effectively in cancer therapies
- What to look for in a good enzyme supplement
- The role of HCL in proper digestion
- How to do a simple HCL challenge to know if you have low stomach acid
- What your poop can tell you about your health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 325: Hashimoto’s Update: How I Got to Remission & What I Do to Maintain
- 295: Health Foods That Are Actually Making Us Sick With Dr. Gundry of the Plant Paradox
- 272: Castor Oil for Digestion, Health, and Beauty With Dr. Marisol Teijeiro ND
- What Our Poop Reveals About Digestive & Gut Health
- How to Use Cumin for Digestion, Immune Health, and So Much More
- Remedies and Supplements I Take
- 7 Easy Ways to Improve Digestion
- Betaine HCL for Increasing Stomach Acid
Have you ever thought about the role of enzymes in health? Do you suspect they might be an issue for you? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, my source for superfood mushroom products that are a big part of my daily routine. In fact, about 80% of the dirt under your feet is actually mycelium or mushrooms. And mushrooms have a wide variety of health benefits, everything from immune support, and improved sleep, and they’re also a great source of B vitamins, and vitamin D. Mushrooms are considered anti-inflammatory due to a compound called ergothioneine and are considered safe and beneficial to consume regularly. In my house, we often start the day with Four Sigmatic’s Mushroom Coffee with Lion’s Mane and Chaga. It tastes just like regular coffee without as much caffeine and no jitters. The Lion’s Mane and Chaga help with energy and focus, like I said, without the jitters, or the acidity of a lot of coffee. I sip other products of theirs throughout the day, like their Chaga or Cordyceps or Lion’s Mane Elixirs, and I often wind down at night with their Reishi Elixir or Reishi Cacao, and I notice a measurable difference in my sleep when I do that. As a listener of this podcast, you can save on all Four Sigmatic products by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and using the code “wellnessmama” to save 15%.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse. That’s Wellnesse with an E on the end, which is my new personal care company that is dedicated to making safe and effective products from my family to your family. We started with toothpaste and hair care because these are the biggest offenders in most bathrooms, and we’re coming after the other personal care products as well. Did you know for instance that most shampoo contains harsh detergents that strip out the natural oils from the hair and leave it harder to manage over time and more dependent on extra products? We took a different approach, creating a nourishing hair food that gives your hair what it actually needs and doesn’t take away from its natural strength and beauty. In fact, it’s specifically designed to support your hair’s natural texture, natural color, and is safe for color-treated hair as well. Our shampoos contain herbs like nettle, which helps strengthen hair and reduce hair fall, leaving your hair and scalp healthier over time, and scented only with natural essential oils in a very delicate scent so that you don’t have to worry about the fragrance as well. Over time, your hair gets back to its stronger, healthier, shinier state without the need for parabens or silicone or SLS. You can check it out along with our whitening toothpaste and our full hair care bundles at wellnesse.com. An insider tip, grab an essentials bundle or try auto-ship and you will lock in a discount.