Today’s episode brings me back to my high school science days and is all about glutathione, free radicals, antioxidants, and aging. I’m here with Dr. Steve Morris who is a physician who is currently serving as a scientific adviser and principal formulator in the nutraceutical industry. He has done a lot of research in various areas, but today we talk specifically about his work on glutathione.
I’ve received quite a few questions related to glutathione and Dr. Morris shares his expertise on what we need to know about it and what we should be aware of when it comes to supplementation. I learned a lot in this episode and I know you will too!
Let’s dive in!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Steven Morris
- What is a free radical and why this matters
- Why glutathione is the master antioxidant in the body
- Exogenous and endogenous antioxidants (and how they differ)
- How mitochondria creation of ATP creates free radicals
- The worst free radicals we are exposed to (that are made within our bodies)
- When we see decline in the body’s ability to produce glutathione
- What superoxide dismutase is and what it does
- Other sources of antioxidants
- How the body creates glutathione and why this declines with age
- The importance of allium vegetables (like onions) for glutathione production
- Why many forms of glutathione are not bioavailable and which ones are
- How liposomal glutathione can bypass the body’s natural threshold and create a hyper reductive state and why this is harmful
- How the body recycles antioxidants
Resources We Mention
- GSH+ Ultimate Glutathione (save 25% at this link)
- Kudo Immune Gummies (save 20% at this link)
- Brene Brown books
- Man’s Search for Meaning
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*uck
- The Alchemist
More From Wellness Mama
- The Master Antioxidant: Glutathione
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Sulforaphane Benefits: How It Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & More
- Why I Don’t Reduce a Fever – And What I Do Instead
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
- 346: Sulforaphane: The “Broccoli Molecule” That Slows Aging, Fights Cancer, & Boosts Immune Health With BrocElite
- 336: How to Grow Sprouts in Your Kitchen for Nutritious and Inexpensive Food With Doug Evans
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals, my source for bee powered products. I loved bees and the many benefits of all their amazing compounds since learning how to keep bees and be a beekeeper as a kid. And I was so excited to find a company that is just as passionate about supporting bees and sharing the benefits of their amazing products as I am. Their propolis spray is a go to in my house, you’re not familiar with propolis it’s a really cool substance that the bees make to keep the hive sterile and safe and to protect it from pathogens and invaders. And this became part of the beekeepers family when my friend and Beekeeper’s Naturals founder Carly Stein was inspired to reinvent the medicine cabinet. She discovered propolis which is like I said a powerful ingredient that bees use to protect their hive from germs. She had struggled with low immunity her whole life and propolis was the first thing that actually made her feel like her health was in her own hands and that experience inspired her to tackle modern health issues from stress-based low immunity to to brain fog to energy through ingredients found in nature and found with the bees.
This one, like I said, is a go-to in our house, we use it almost daily and they have other amazing products as well including some that give me a big boost of energy like B.LXR and ones my kids loved like B.powered which has a mixture of all kinds of beneficial bee ingredients from bee pollen to honey and even royal jelly. So, today there’s this exclusive offer just for you for listening. Beekeeper’s Naturals has created a discount, if you go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama, you will save 20% on your first order. You can also find Beekeeper’s Naturals now nationwide in 2,000 stores including Target, Whole Foods and Sprouts.
This episode is sponsored by Levels Continuous Glucose Monitors. I have been experimenting with this continuous glucose monitoring system for the past few months, and I’ve learned so much personalized data about my body’s own response to different foods, even to workouts, to sauna, and to when I don’t get enough sleep. I’ve been using Levels, and this has made a significant difference in the way I track my glucose data, and especially as it relates to diet and fitness. Levels is cool, because in addition to providing you with the continuous glucose monitor sensors, their app interprets your data, scores your individual meal, and allows you to run experiments across different inputs like diet, exercise, or even fasting protocols.
They’re backed by a world-class team, including Stanford-trained MD, top engineers from SpaceX and Google, and a research team that includes legends in the space like Dr. Dominic D’Agostino and Dr. David Perlmutter, both who have been guests on this podcast before. Health is so personalized, and this has given me a way to know the best foods for my own body, and it’s helping me get enough protein and carbs while still maintaining weight loss. Levels is currently running a closed beta program with a waitlist of 100,000 people, but, as a listener, you can skip that line and join Levels today by going to levels.link/wellnessmama.