Years ago, one of the things my doctor recommended for my Hashimoto’s was to start incorporating broccoli sprouts into my diet. He explained that they contain a compound called sulforaphane with incredible protective health benefits.
To get sulforaphane I’ve been growing and eating broccoli sprouts routinely (in a hot broccoli and mustard smoothie for maximum benefits!). But don’t worry… If that doesn’t sound like your cup of tea but you still want to get the benefits of sulforaphane, there is another way!
David Roberts has more than 20 years of experience working in quantitative research. He holds master’s degrees in public health from Johns Hopkins and in biomedical engineering from the University of Virginia. His work has helped bring the first bioavailable sulforaphane supplement called BrocElite to market.
Episode Highlights: BrocElite
- Why sprouts are such a nutrient-dense superfood
- What is sulforaphane and how it works to restore function and eliminate toxins at the cellular level
- Best ways to eat and use broccoli sprouts
- The connection between sulforaphane and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- Why all sprouts are not created equal
- How BrocElite was engineered to work just as well or better than eating broccoli sprouts
- David’s personal reasons for championing a supplement
- Possibilities for cancer protection, brain health, and anti-inflammation
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- An Evidence-Based Approach to Phytochemicals & Other Dietary Factors by the Linus Pauling Institute
More From Wellness Mama
- 336: How to Grow Sprouts in Your Kitchen for Nutritious and Inexpensive Food With Doug Evans
- 438: Hacking Chemo: Metabolic Factors That Affect Cancer Recovery With Martha Tettenborn
- 477: Dr. Steve Morris on Glutathione, Free Radicals, Antioxidants, and Aging
- The Benefits of Sprouts and Microgreens
- How to Grow Sprouts In Your Kitchen
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Sulforaphane Benefits: How It Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & More
Have you ever tried broccoli sprouts? What did you think of this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and it helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Beekeeper’s Naturals, which is my go-to source for all things bee-related. If you’re not familiar with them, they’re an amazing company. They make clean remedies that really work and that my whole family loves to take, no fight required. I’m sure you probably know that bees are absolutely vital to our global food system. And Beekeeper’s Naturals is on a mission to save the bees while creating products that support humans as well. They source all of their bee products sustainably and do a lot to support healthy bee colonies. All of their products, of course, are gluten-free, non-GMO, naturally-sourced, and keto-friendly. My personal favorite is their propolis spray which I use for natural immune support. I never have to fight my kids to take it because it tastes delicious and it’s my first line of defense at any sign of sniffles or cough or any time I’m traveling. I also really love their B.LXR Brain Fuel, which is a caffeine-free way to support focus and energy. I take this on days like today with podcasting when I need a little extra mental boost. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% on all Beekeeper’s Naturals products. Go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama, and the code “wellnessmama” saves you 15%.
This episode is sponsored by Joovv, a natural red light therapy in your very own home. We may not think of light when we think of essential nutrients, but it absolutely is! This is the reason I go outside as soon as possible after waking up in the morning, and the reason I spend time in front of my Joovv. Light is energy and our bodies need light in order to sustain healthy cellular function. Red light in particular, especially in certain wavelengths, has certain benefits for hair, skin, and cellular energy. I like Joovv because they are third-party tested for safety and performance and use a Patented modular design which allows you easily treat your whole body in under 20 minutes. Joovv uses clinically proven wavelengths of light that provide energy to the body. They have Bundle pricing discounts which allow you to save more money when purchasing larger setups. Get free shipping at joovv.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA for a free gift!