Fresh produce you can grow on your kitchen counter in a matter of days? Yes please! Doug Evans learned everything you could ever want to know about sprouting by learning to live off the food grid on his desert property in California. He learned so much he wrote The Sprout Book to share the benefits of sprouting far and wide.
Take a listen and find out how to grow some of the most nutrient-dense vegetables available for very little time or money. If you don’t have the time or space for a garden, your kitchen may be the place to start growing some of your own food!
Here we go!
Episode Highlights With Doug Evans
- Why sprouts have so much nutrition
- Three things to do with your sprouts for maximum value
- Which kinds of seeds you can sprout (answer: a lot more than you’d think!)
- My favorite kind of sprouts that are always on my counter
- Sulforaphane benefits and why it’s such a powerful nutrient
- What to do if you have a tiny kitchen or not a lot of space
- A step-by-step guide to the equipment and process (it’s so easy!)
- How to sprout chia seeds for plant-based omega-3
- The next step: tips for growing your own microgreens
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- The Sprout Book by Doug Evans
- Seeds for sprouting
- Seed sprouting jars, lids, and stands
- Dehydrator – large or small (no plastic)
- Podcast with Marianne Williamson and Doug Evans
- The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
More From Wellness Mama
- 310: Can Our Soils Heal Us? How Regenerative Agriculture and Home Gardens Can Improve Our Health
- 329: How to Slow Aging, Fight Inflammation, & Improve Cellular Signaling With Brian Dixon
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- It’s Time to Bring Back Victory Gardens
- Benefits of Chia Seeds (and 27 Creative Ways to Use Them!)
- Is a Plant-Based Diet Good for All of Us?
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- The Benefits of Sprouts and Microgreens
- How to Grow Microgreens
Have you ever grown sprouts? Have any tips? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Beekeeper’s Naturals, which is my go-to source for all things bee-related. If you’re not familiar with them, they’re an amazing company. They make clean remedies that really work and that my whole family loves to take, no fight required. I’m sure you probably know that bees are absolutely vital to our global food system. And Beekeeper’s Naturals is on a mission to save the bees while creating products that support humans as well. They source all of their bee products sustainably and do a lot to support healthy bee colonies. All of their products, of course, are gluten-free, non-GMO, naturally-sourced, and keto-friendly. My personal favorite is their propolis spray which I use for natural immune support. I never have to fight my kids to take it because it tastes delicious and it’s my first line of defense at any sign of sniffles or cough or any time I’m traveling. I also really love their B.LXR Brain Fuel, which is a caffeine-free way to support focus and energy. I take this on days like today with podcasting when I need a little extra mental boost. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% on all Beekeeper’s Naturals products. Go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama, and the code “wellnessmama” saves you 15%.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to bring the best personal care products from my family to yours. Our whitening toothpaste is based on my DIY formula that I have been making and perfecting for over a decade. Now, after almost 100 rounds of tweaking the formula and thousands of positive reviews, I could not be more proud to share this with your family. Have you ever read a tube of normal toothpaste? I did when my older kids were little, and I found a warning that said, “Warning, keep away from children. Do not swallow. If ingested contact Poison Control or seek medical attention immediately.” That seemed a little extreme for something that I was putting in my mouth and my children’s mouth multiple times a day. And I didn’t want my kids using something that often that I would need to call a poison control center if they accidentally swallowed. I set out to create a truly safe and effective alternative. And the Wellnesse Whitening toothpaste is just that. It’s designed to support the oral microbiome and the natural process of saliva and teeth so that teeth can stay white and strong. This dentist approved formula is safe for the whole family and will leave your teeth shiny and your breath fresh. You can check out our toothpaste and our completely natural hair food hair care products at wellnesse.com. An insider tip, if you grab an essentials bundle or try autoship, you will lock in a discount so that you can try everything at a great price.