I’m here with Dr. Kenneth Bock, a leader in integrative medicine with over 35 years of direct experience helping brain-inflamed children. He’s well respected as a leader on some of the new childhood epidemics, such as autism, PANS, PANDAS, tick-borne illnesses, and a lot more. Unfortunately, it’s no secret that a lot of these chronic conditions are on the rise in our kids’ generation.
We go deep into the root cause approach to these illnesses and touch on topics like gut health for kids, strengthening the blood-brain barrier, when to give antibiotics, and how to find a doctor in your area that can help.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Kenneth Bock
- Why we are seeing a rise in chronic conditions in kids (hint: it isn’t genetics)
- What we’re learning about the microbiome and neurological conditions
- Ways to nourish a healthy microbiome (and things that work against it)
- The shocking percentage of children that will meet the diagnostic criteria for mood disorders… and why
- The roots of PANS/PANDAS/ITABI and how to address them
- How he starts to unpack chronic conditions
- His starting points for reducing inflammation
- The time and place for antibiotics and when he is open to using them
- His nutritional starting points for reducing inflammation (hint: it often starts with sugar)
- What the immune kettle is and how he uses this to help identify root causes
- The importance of community for health
- Questions to ask a doctor or practitioner to find one who will be able to help
- How to advocate for yourself or your child in medical care
- The fascinating science on meditation and why it’s worth doing regularly
- Nutrients that can help tighten the blood-brain barrier
- How he integrates CBD to battle inflammation
- Why to take fish oil and vitamin E together
- How to use exercise appropriately for true health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Kenneth Bock
- Brain Inflamed: Uncovering the Hidden Causes of Anxiety, Depression, and Other Mood Disorders in Adolescents and Teens by Dr. Kenneth Bock
- Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
More From Wellness Mama
- 418: Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness With Dr. Perlmutter
- 376: How to Use Everyday Activities to Rewire the Brain for Calmer Kids With Brain Harmony
- 425: Helping Kids & Teens Build a Healthy Relationship With Technology With Katey McPherson
- 423: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine With Dr. Michele Borba
- 313: The Tapping Solution to Reduce Anxiety, Stress, and Pain With Nick Ortner
- 262: Dr. Andrew Weil on Integrative Medicine, Reducing Inflammation & Most Important Factors for Health
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my natural and good for you personal care line. That’s Wellness with an “e” on the end. When I realized years ago that there weren’t any great natural personal care products that worked as well as many of the conventional options, I set out to create ones that weren’t just comparable, but better! We created haircare that nourishes and protects your hair, rather than stripping it with harsh detergents like many others. Our toothpaste works with your mouth, not against it, to develop healthy teeth and gums, and our dry shampoo is my go-to on busy days and after workouts. All products are based on the idea of working with your body and not against it, with nourishing ingredients rather than harsh detergents or chemicals. Try it and feel the difference for yourself at Wellnesse.com.
This episode is brought to you by Olipop, a new kind of soda that has become a fast favorite at my house. The idea of soda is usually associated with drinks that are full of sugar,
corn syrup, and artificial ingredients like aspartame. But Olipop is so different! They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health, plus you get all the taste without the sugar or nasty added ingredients.Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. 90% of Americans consume more than the USDA’s daily recommended added sugar intake (30g). Sweetened beverages (like soda) are the leading source of added sugars in the American diet. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can.We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. OLIPOP can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.