Today’s topic is going to be really fun! As you know if you follow the blog, education is a subject near and dear to my heart and I suspect many of yours too.
Meet Dr. Michele Borba, educational psychologist, former teacher, a mom. She’s been recognized for her ongoing research on how to raise successful and resilient kids. I think this is a super important topic with all of the changes happening in the world, and one we need to rethink since yesterday’s answers may not meet the challenges of today.
Check out Dr. Borba’s book, Thrivers, linked in the show notes below. It’s a great science-backed guide that really helps parents and teachers pass on character traits to kids that correlate with success.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Michele Borba
- The seven traits that all successful kids and young adults have
- How character traits are more important than academic success in many ways
- Tangible ways to set your kids up for success and give them a solid foundation
- How to start early to give your kids these traits
- Why resilience isn’t innate — it’s stretchable and learnable
- The things we do that counteract resilience in our kids
- A way that trying to protect our kids from certain things can be counterproductive
- The magic of the word “yet” and how to use it
- Teaching success is a matter of how much you stick in there
- Never do for your child what your child can do for themself
- How to help your child have a growth mindset
- The surprising learning environment factors she learned in Beirut and how to benefit from them at home
- Ways to help your child love learning
- Why the average child gives up a real talent around the age of 13 and how to stop this
- An important reason to praise effort and not innate traits
- How to help children develop empathy and community, especially in teenage years
- The way to diffuse the tension between family and social groups for teenagers
- Tangible ways to help your child (and yourself) cope with stress (including one that comes from Navy SEAL training)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Michele Borba Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Thrivers: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine by Michele Borba
- Mindset: The New Pyschology of Success by Carol Dweck
More From Wellness Mama
- 414: Ancestral Parenting, Biological Norms, Wild Food, and Foraging With Arthur Haines
- 390: How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kids for Success With Julie Lythcott-Haims
- 353: A Chat With My Husband: Healthy Living, Working Together, Parenting & Random Things in the Name of Health
- Why We Are Creating a Business Incubator for Our Kids (And How)
- The Neuroscience of Play & Why Kids Need It
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
Did you enjoy this episode? Have any parenting tips or questions to add? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, a delicious soda that is actually good for you. Did you know that most Americans consume more than the recommended daily intake of sugar, by a lot, and sweetened drinks like soda are the leading source of extra sugar? And most of us also don’t get enough fiber! I’ve found a delicious answer to both of these problems and it’s called Olipop. I was so excited to find a truly healthy soda alternative! Olipop uses functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health… and that taste just like soda without the junk! Olipop is much (much) lower in sugar than conventional sodas with only 2-5 grams of sugar from natural sources. No added sugar. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular cola which has 39g of sugar. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal for the Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 20% off plus Free Shipping on their best selling variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. This discount is only valid for their variety pack. Olipop can also be found in over 3,000 stores across the country, including Whole Foods, Sprouts, Kroger, Wegman’s and Erewhon.
This episode is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. They’re a company on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean, effective products that really, really work. They’ve created a whole hive of products, all sourced from bee products and immune-loving essentials so that you can do your best all day every day. One of their products I especially love is called B.Chill. And it’s a CBD infused honey that I love and that my kids love, and it helps them sleep. It’s the ultimate combination of raw honey and hemp to help you get better R&R. And hemp is famous for its ability to help you unwind while raw honey supports restorative sleep. As an extra tip, a small sprinkle of salt on this honey really, really helps improve sleep. And unlike other relaxation alternatives, you can rest better knowing that there are no some side effects, you won’t feel groggy the next day. And B.Chill is completely non-psychoactive. It contains 0% THC, so you can enjoy it anytime, anywhere, and share it with your kids. If you’re ready to give it a try, check out Beekeeper’s Naturals and save 15% on your first order by going to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama.