She’s back! If you listened to her other podcast episode, you already know how much I love Carol Garner-Houston. Her ideas have influenced me as a parent and homeschool teacher, not to mention in business.
Carol is a licensed occupational therapist who has been helping adults and children for the last 25 years. She is the co-founder and Chief Medical Officer of Brain Harmony®, an innovative method and award-winning telehealth home program that rewires the brain and nervous system. Carol’s methods help find and retrain the central nervous system disorganization found underlying conditions like anxiety, PTSD, autism, speech and language delays, learning delays, dyslexia, TBI, concussions, behavioral disorders, OCD, and trauma.
Recently, the Brain Harmony created CALM™ in the Home, an optimal learning system that is all too timely for 2020!
Episode Highlights With Carol Garner-Houston of CALM
- How vagal regulating tools can help kids and parents stay calm
- What brain science tells us about what children need in order to learn
- Simple strategies for making our children feel neurologically safe
- How to create a calmer feeling in your home
- Why you should never leave play out of your curriculum
- Suggestions for setting up an inviting, stimulating, and calming learning environment
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Brain Harmony
- Podcast: 238: Using Neuroplasticity to Rewire Nervous System or Brain Disorders With Carol Garner-Houston
- Brain Harmony Quiz
- Consult with Brain Harmony
- Blog Post: How to Improve the Vestibular System with Sensory Swings & Activities
- Yoga Swing
- Balance Board
- Surf Trainer
- Harkla Hanging Pod
More From Wellness Mama
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 354: How to Upgrade Your Brain and Learn Anything Faster With Limitless Author Jim Kwik
- 224: How to Use Sound and Music to Optimize Focus and Sleep With Brain.fm
- 302: 5 Ways to Move for Improved Posture, Sleep, and Health With Align Method
- 375: How to Breathe the Right Way (& Why It Matters!) With Max Gomez From Breathwrk
- The Neuroscience of Play & Why Kids Need It
- Backyard Ideas to Keep Kids Playing Outside All Summer
What did you learn in this episode? What can we answer? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Alitura skincare. This a company founded by my friend (and previous podcast guest) Andy, who formulated these products to heal after a horrific accident left him with scars on his face. He mixed some of the most nutrient dense ingredients on the planet to create truly natural products that feed and benefit the skin, leaving it nourished and in my experience, hydrated and younger looking. I know from talking to Andy that he has literally gone all over the world to source some of these ingredients and is meticulous about testing them for quality and finding the combination that works the best. Even the name, Alitura, means feeding and nourishing in latin. My personal favorites are the mask and the gold serum, but all of their products are great. Here’s a tip with the mask… mix with apple cider vinegar instead of water for an extra boost and to deep clean pores. I use the mask a few times a week and I use the gold serum at night and after sun exposure to keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Check out these and all of their products at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off and free shipping.
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv Red Light Therapy. Like many of you, I am always trying to find different ways to keep my wellness routine in check. I’ve noticed some of the things that are most helpful to me are practicing daily gratitude, a no-phone rule one hour before and after bed, eating healthy and exercising, and if you’ve been listening to me for a while now, getting in my light therapy sessions. I’ve told you before about why I personally love Joovv before: the skin and hair benefits are awesome and I find that I recover faster from soreness after working out. Joovv is my preferred red light therapy device because it has a patented, modular system that lets you build as you go so you can find a way to fit it into your budget. They have full-body devices (Joovv Elite & Duo) and you can keep connecting these pieces together to make it as big of a device as you like. They also have a Desktop model (Joovv Mini), which is great for travel or for spot treating. Remember, when it comes to natural light modalities, bigger is better for optimal benefits, which is why their modular system is so unique. I wanted my listeners to know they offer exclusive discounts on larger devices when you upgrade your system within the first year of your initial purchase. Their unique modular design lets you build a larger, full-body system over time, and their bundle pricing ensures you’ll pay only what you would have paid if you bought the larger system from the start. Find out more at joovv.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama for a free gift.