My Breech Water Birth Story

Katie Wells Avatar

Reading Time: 12 minutes

This post contains affiliate links.

Read my affiliate policy.

Wellness Mama Breech Water Birth Story
Wellness Mama » Blog » Motherhood » My Breech Water Birth Story

Looking back over the past decade, I realize that even after giving birth to six children (read all of my birth stories starting here), I’ve never had what would be considered a “normal” birth and this one was no exception as I had a complete breech water birth at home.

The Beauty of Birth

My labors and deliveries have run the gamut, as I’ve had the “typical” hospital birth with all of its interventions with my first, a 26-hour natural labor and hospital birth with my second, a life-saving c-section due to placenta previa with my third, a 25-hour hospital VBAC with my fourth, a 15-hour breech home birth with my fifth, and now a 3.5 hour breech water birth with my sixth.

Some of these birth experiences were not what I wanted them to be, but in hindsight, they were all exactly what I needed at the time, and I’ve learned to be grateful for what each one of them has taught me:

  • My first birth taught me the importance of having a truly supportive birth team and the importance of environment for achieving the birth you hope for.
  • My second labor taught me that I am stronger than I realized and the importance of endurance and relaxation during labor.
  • My third birth was my most difficult, as I never thought I’d have a c-section and it was the scariest experience of my life for me and for our son. It taught me that I am not in control, and that sometimes the best plan is not the one I wanted or expected.
  • My fourth birth was in some ways my easiest, but it taught me not to have expectations about labor and birth (I was hoping it would be shorter since she was our fourth).
  • My fifth labor taught me to trust my body and fight for my birth choices, and it was my shortest labor at the time (also a breech birth).
  • My sixth was my fastest and most intense and taught me that breech is a variation of normal (at least for my body) and that no two births are the same.

My Breech Water Birth

I really thought that after giving birth five times already that I kind of had this labor and birth thing figured out, and I was so sure of that I just “knew” how things would go. As all of our babies have been at least somewhat early (usually around 39 weeks), I fully expected to have this one at least a week or so before my due date and planned on this.

Turning things upside down…

At about 36 weeks, we found out that this baby was breech. I was disappointed but not entirely surprised, since two of our other kids had been breech at this point in pregnancy (one flipped and one was born breech). I started the protocol on to encourage her to flip, played music low down on my stomach, put a bag of frozen peas on the top of my stomach, tried acupuncture and all of the other methods that are often recommended to get a breech baby to turn heads-down.

For whatever reason, this little one wanted to enter the world bottom-first as my attempts to turn her were unsuccessful.

Contractions? Or not?

My husband had a week-long business trip when I was 37 weeks so of course I wondered if I would have the baby while he was away. Not surprisingly, I started having contractions three days after he left. They started at about midnight and were strong enough to keep me from sleeping. I timed them and they were 4-5 minutes apart, eventually getting as close as three minutes and lasting up to a minute long.

They were VERY uncomfortable, and I’d compare them to 4-5 cm contractions in previous labors. I called the midwife, she came to check on me, and at about 5 AM… the contractions completely stopped.

I’d never had a false alarm for labor before and felt quite embarrassed, thinking I’d only thought I was in labor. I was grateful, as I really wanted my husband to make it home before the baby came, but I couldn’t figure out why the contractions had just stopped and I felt bad for calling the midwives before it was time.

The next day, just as I was starting to fall asleep, the contractions started again. And lasted until 5 AM again. And stopped AGAIN.

I chalked it up to the stress of my husband being out of town and the fact that we had gotten 10+ inches of snow and ice and were essentially snowed in. This pattern repeated itself every night. Contractions from around 1 AM until 5 AM each night… not the best for sleep!

My husband finally got home… but the contractions continued each night 1-5 AM like clockwork. They weren’t “painful” but were intense and uncomfortable enough to make sleep close to impossible.

After a solid week of this, I realized that I was having prodromal labor. This is more common in moms who have had 3+ babies and when baby isn’t in the right position (breech) as the mom’s body attempts to move the baby into the correct position. Unfortunately, my body decided to do this work in the middle of the night while I was trying to sleep, instead of normal business hours!

One week of prodromal labor each night and I was exhausted.

Two weeks and I was in tears each night, just wanting to sleep.

Three weeks of prodromal labor and I was doubting my sanity.

After four full weeks of prodromal labor and a full week past my due date, I resigned myself to the fact that obviously this baby was never going to come out and just started obsessively cleaning (not realizing I was nesting…)

Moving on up… or down?

That night, the contractions started like clockwork, just as they had for weeks. 5 AM came… and they didn’t stop. I figured that they had just decided to start lasting even longer to keep me from sleeping ever.

All day, the contractions continued at 4-5 minutes apart and lasting 45-60 seconds. Uncomfortable but not painful as I could still talk through them. I just assumed that prodromal labor was going to be constant at this point and angrily cleaned, cooked, baked and organized (so obvious in hindsight that I was nesting and would soon go into labor!).

By late afternoon, I wondered if labor was starting as I was cooking dinner. When we finished eating at around 6:30 PM, I had the first contractions that were uncomfortable enough that I sent a text to my midwife:

Contractions are getting more like 4-5 mins at this point and more uncomfortable but still not bad. Think it is fiiiiiinnnnnnaaaaallllyyy labor for real but afraid I’ll stall if you guys come too soon. Long way of saying, I don’t need you yet but just wanted to keep you posted…

Still thinking that labor might just be getting started, I cleaned up from dinner and my husband and I got the kids ready for bed. We tucked in the kids at about 7:30 PM and the contractions immediately picked up. They were now about three minutes apart and definitely uncomfortable. Since the midwives were over an hour away, I texted them that it was definitely labor and was glad to get this reply:

Already left home. 🙂 Had a feeling it was time.

Since my previous labors tended to be 24+ hours, I figured I still had a long way to go, but I was also a little bit nervous because the contractions were getting increasingly difficult to work through and the idea of another 20+ hours of them was daunting to say the least.

The midwives arrived just before 9:00 PM I think (time got a little hazy at this point), and I remember saying things like “I can’t do this for another 20 hours” and “Why do I always think this is a good idea? Some of my friends love epidurals,” (note to self- this is usually a sign of transition!).

I also started needing my husband’s support during the contractions at this point, calling him when each one started and leaning on him while moaning through the intensity. I still had pretty good breaks between contractions (4-5 minutes, I think) and was able to talk and even joke between them so I was mentally preparing for the long haul and hoping I’d have the baby before noon the next day.

The contractions continually got tougher and sometime around 9:30 ish, the midwives suggested I try getting in the tub. I told them that I was afraid it would slow my labor down (laughable now) and they responded that they really didn’t think it would at this point.

Oh the Water…

The water definitely took the edge off the contractions or at least provided a welcome distraction. I tried to relax as much as possible and at about 9:45 PM, I felt a “pop” as my water broke (the fluid was clear). This is about the time that I started to have the “doula battle” with myself internally.

After being a doula for several years, labor has become an interesting internal conversation between my rational doula side and my not-so-logical laboring mom side. This time, the conversation in my head was going something like this:

Doula Me: “You water just broke and you are questioning why you don’t get pain medication… you are almost done.”

Pregnancy me: “No, I’m not. Stop trying to get my hopes up. My water broke before labor with my first baby. I still probably have hours of this left. Is food burning in the oven? How did I miss that spot on the grout of the tub when I was cleaning… Ugh… Another contraction.”

I didn’t feel pushy immediately after my water broke as I had with previous deliveries, which is normal when baby’s head isn’t pushing on the cervix. I was encouraged though, because I realized I was at least now in “real” labor but was still in denial about just how far along I was (despite the discomfort of definite transition contractions).

At this point, I also started feeling a LOT of pressure on my pubic bone and front right side. I had absolutely no back labor at all but had the equivalent in my lower abdomen because of her position. I could feel her move down and the pressure on my pubic bone continued to increase.

This was the point I somewhat remember saying something along the lines of “I don’t think I can do this,” (classic about-to-push sign for me).

The midwives suggested that I get in a forward-leaning hands and knees position, which I did with the help of my husband. The pressure intensified almost immediately and I felt baby move down quite a bit. I was simultaneously trying to relax but also having trouble relaxing (a friend who was planning to photograph the birth was still a few minutes away and I wasn’t exactly excited about the pushing phase…)

I also knew (from my previous breech delivery) that it is important to wait until I was completely dilated before attempting to push so even when I started feeling push-y, I tried to focus on calmly breathing (which externally looked more like a mixture of grunting, moaning and cursing… I was totally calm…or not)

My husband sat on the edge of the tub and I was able to lean on him for comfort and support at this point, which really helped me relax.

The urge to push…

I’ve always thought that the term “urge to push” was funny as I would more accurately describe it as” the-overwhelming-and-impossible-to-ignore-reflex-to-expel-a-baby.”

Whatever you want to call it, I felt it.

Having now vaginally delivered a breech baby twice, I can also say that while the desire to push is just as strong with a breech presentation, it also feels much different. Many women describe pushing as feeling like they are having a bowel movement and this isn’t the case (at least in my experience) with a breech. In fact, it felt much more like my public bone was being snapped in half and my hips being pushed out of their sockets.

At 9:55 PM I officially started pushing. I pushed somewhat slowly for a few minutes as I felt her slowly move down. Once the “ring of fire” started, I decided that I’d had enough of this and pushed a lot harder. This part is somewhat hazy, but I remember thinking that I had to actually work a lot harder in pushing her out than I had with my others.

This is the mentally toughest moment of labor for me, in realizing that I’m almost done and at the same time that the only way to make the pain stop is to push through it and create more pain in the short term. I always wished I was like some women (including my mom) who feel some relief during the pushing phase and actually think it is less intense than transition.

With a really hard push, the burning intensified and then I felt some relief as she “rumped” (the word used instead of “crowned” with a breech baby since they present bottom-first). At this point, the midwives were actively monitoring me and baby but not touching her (this hands-off method is often recommended for breech deliveries to avoid startling baby and causing her to raise her hands before they emerge).

Out came her bottom, legs and feet all at once. This is known as a complete breech presentation by definition, not a frank breech as my last had been. This also explained why I felt I had to push harder with her… I was pushing out abdomen, legs and feet at the same time!

Sweet relief…

With another strong push, her hands and head emerged and the midwife lifted her out of the water.

That moment of relief and joy right as she emerged immediately replaced the intensity and discomfort of the previous few hours and I leaned against my husband’s chest, saying “I did it! I can’t believe she is finally out!”

I turned over and was able to hold her for the first time… and 41 weeks of pregnancy, a month of prodromal labor and just over 3 hours of intense labor immediately became worth it in an instant as I stared into her eyes.

Her APGARs were 10 and 10, starting her trend of trying to beat her siblings at everything. (So far, she wins the awards for my longest pregnancy, shortest labor, biggest baby and highest APGARs).

Natural childbirth is definitely hard work, and this is the point at which the intensity and work are worth it. I was able to get out of the water and deliver the placenta and then sit in my own bed with my beautiful newborn.

I was shocked when I looked at the clock and realized that it was only just after 10 PM! I was used to REALLY long labors and was very surprised to realize that the tough part of my labor had only been just over 3 hours! Not only were our other kids still sleeping peacefully upstairs (shockingly after my not-so-quiet pushing phase), but my labor had been so fast that we were even going to get some sleep that night!

I was also extremely grateful for experienced and intuitive midwives who could tell even from my text when it was time, as they wouldn’t have made it if I had waited until I really thought I was in labor to call them. In some ways, this breech water birth was my easiest labor (based on time) and it some ways it was my toughest (intensity and pushing). It was without a doubt my favorite labor so far, as it was the first one where I’ve felt truly supported and completely trusted my birth team.

Shorter Labor… What Made the Difference?

In the days following her breech water birth, I’ve wondered what made the drastic difference in the length of my labor this time around (over 12 hours shorter than my previous shortest and over 20 hours shorter than most of my labors). I think these things all contributed:

  • A Birth Team I Trust– This is without a doubt the biggest factor in my shorter labor this time. Sadly, it took until my sixth birth to have a birth team that I completely trusted and felt safe with. With previous deliveries, I always had circumstances that made labor more difficult (and likely longer too), such as being told I “wasn’t allowed” to get out of bed, even with an uncomplicated natural labor, or being told by nurses that it would be easier on them if I’d just get an epidural and be quiet. This time, I was supported, encouraged, and told that my body was doing exactly what it was supposed to do… and it did.
  • Eating dates – I don’t have any proof of this, but I added dates to my protein smoothies for the last few weeks and there is some evidence that natural compounds in dates can shorten labor.
  • Prodromal labor– The one silver lining of my month of torture (I mean, prodromal labor) is that it may have sped up labor. I couldn’t find any statistics on this, but there is an abundance of anecdotal evidence and women sharing their experience in forums who had prodromal labor but very short active labors. Midwives often say that not all contractions may dilate the cervix, but they are all accomplishing something, and all of those contractions during prodromal labor were likely helping my body prepare to labor effectively.

Did I Use the Peanut Ball?

Another question I’ve already gotten is if I used the peanut ball or not. I wrote about the fascinating research about peanut-shaped yoga balls and their potential to shorten the first stage of labor by opening the pelvis and encouraging baby’s descent, and said that I was planning to try this method and see if it would shorten labor for me this time.

Unfortunately, since she was breech, I was trying to give her time to flip and wasn’t trying to encourage her to engage or move further down until she did. She ended up being born breech so I never had time to give the peanut ball a try, but have had three friends try it over the last couple of months and they had their shortest labors to date.

Was my Birth Illegal?

Sadly, home birth is not a supported birth option in my state or in quite a few other states in the US. It wasn’t technically illegal for me to give birth at home, but Certified Professional Midwives are not licensed in our state (though many are in other sates) and have to work much harder to find access to important supplies, labs and testing for the women they serve. As our state has one of the highest c-section rates in the country (over 40% in our local area), home birth is one way we could work to reduce these statistics (as the World Health Organization has called for a reduction in any c-section rate over 15%).

This year, we are working to pass legislation that would support Kentucky midwives and make it possible for CPMs to be licensed in our state. If you live in Kentucky and are reading this, please consider following the KY Home Birth Coalition on FB here to check for updates and to find out ways you can help!

Other Pregnancy and Birth Resources

If you’re currently pregnant, here are some other resources that might be helpful to you:

I’d love to hear your birth stories! Please share them in the comments below! 

Katie Wells Avatar

About Katie Wells

Katie Wells, CTNC, MCHC, Founder of Wellness Mama and Co-founder of Wellnesse, has a background in research, journalism, and nutrition. As a mom of six, she turned to research and took health into her own hands to find answers to her health problems. is the culmination of her thousands of hours of research and all posts are medically reviewed and verified by the Wellness Mama research team. Katie is also the author of the bestselling books The Wellness Mama Cookbook and The Wellness Mama 5-Step Lifestyle Detox.


153 responses to “My Breech Water Birth Story”

  1. Rachel Avatar

    You are one amazing Mama! Giving birth to a complete breech baby! I am so encouraged to read your birth story! I had my first baby almost 14 years ago and as he was breech I was told I had to have a C-section (I was too young, naive and scared to disagree with the Doctor!) my second son was born 22 months later and although I was in labour for 12 hours, he would not fully engage – I was in the hospital and they said he was getting distressed and I needed to have another c-section 🙁 my daughter followed so soon afterwards (16 months later) that I was given no choice and told to have a c-section… fast forward through 10 years of infertility and a Hashimotos diagnosis, followed by a massive change in diet, nutrition and lifestyle as a result of following blogs like yours, and I am surprisingly (but very happily!) pregnant again at 40! I know SO MUCH more now than I did then and I certainly would do things differently if I had my time over again! But I can not do it again, I can just make sure that I do the best for this baby! I am planning (with the agreement of a more naturally orientated Doctor!) a VBAC – although in a hospital (I live in Germany and there are no midwives who would be legally allowed to help me deliver a baby at home after 3 c-sections!) I am learning as much as possible and it is my prayer that this baby will come out the natural way – my c-section scar has healed so much it is positively miraculous – from 2mm to over 1cm thickness 🙂 Changing to a natural way of life has been a blessing in multiple ways! Thank you for all you do and the amazing posts you write, so that I have had the opportunity to learn so much! Wishing you tonnes of happiness with your bundle of joy as you get to know each other over these first few weeks! With much love from Germany!

    1. Amanda Avatar

      Hi Rachel! I am in Germany too and have a wonderful home birth midwife. Any chance you are in the Ramstein area? My first was a C-section in Japan. Much like you I was just a little young and unprepared in the world of birth. For my second I had all of my pre-natal care at home and then delivered in the hospital. Maybe that would be an option for you. It kept things (and me) a lot calmer leading up to the big event. My third and fourth were born at home….the fourth one being unassisted. Not by my choice, that baby just had to get out! 45 minutes start to finish. Fits her personality now too ?. I’d love to share resources with you if you are in the area!

      1. Rachel Avatar

        Thanks for your reply Amanda – I am so sorry I didn’t see it until now! I am re-reading all I can as I am due in the next couple of weeks! I am not in Ramstein (I am British and married to a German – not military 🙂 ) we live in Munich and I will be going to a hospital where they are really natural and I also have a Doula to come with me! I am very hopeful of a natural birth 🙂 thanks again for taking the time to reply to me! appreciate it!

  2. Rita Avatar

    I find it astonishing that in a country where abortion is largely unregulated there are such strict laws regarding how and where a woman can deliver. I used to think labor had to always be awful and then I learned about natural birthing methods and was relieved that it could be a positive experience. Then I learned about the laws and was disappointed. Still not looking forward to pregnancy lol

    1. Layla Russum Avatar
      Layla Russum

      I had a home birth April of last year in a state like Kentucky where midwives are unregulated. I had an awful midwife. Luckily, my midwife’s wonderful assistant was from another state and was carrying Pitocin because I hemorrhaged. With the laws the way they are here, my main midwife wasn’t allowed to carry things like Pitocin. Because of the close call we had, I will have the rest of our babies in a hospital despite negative experiences the first two times. I’m very disappointed as the only natural-minded doctor in our area that delivers at a hospital dropped me as a patient when I decided to have a home birth. So I’ll be stuck with the other C-section pushing Ob/Gyn I had with my first two children.:-( Regulating midwives makes birth safer for mothers.

      1. Heather Avatar

        I had all four of mine at a hospital that is not natural birth friendly, the last three with a dr that I’m pretty sure thought I was nuts. My first two I let them push me around, but especially my fourth I had on my terms. You can do it, just make sure you have someone with you that will back you up while you’re in the middle of contractions. My hubby was amazing!

  3. Koryn Avatar

    I just had our fourth child at home. All of my pregnancies have been completely different also. This last one was the shortest of all of them. The one thing I did different was eating dates the last few weeks due to a post of yours that I read. Also had Pre labor for a couple weeks prior to having her which I’ve never had before. Congratulations on your newest family member. I pray you are recovering well. I think our newest babies have the same birthday! I delivered on February 15th. Thanks for all you do and share on your website 🙂

  4. Jessica Avatar

    I definitely think that the prodromal labor makes active labor shorter! I had prodromal labor for a couple of weeks (once, I even called my midwife because after 5 hours of it I was certain I was in labor at 38 weeks!) with my daughter, and she was born in less than two hours. Congratulations on your sweet baby! (And the breech! Student midwife in me loves hearing happy breech stories!!)

  5. Brenda Avatar

    I love your story, thanks for sharing! 3 things I experienced myself during my home births: 1) Spinning Babies helped get my transverse baby in position, 2) “Ah the water”….DEFINITELY!, 3) and the hands and knees position to help babies who are having difficulty coming out- this position is essential and so effective! I think it should be mandatory that women try it before a c-section happens (where the baby is lodged, shoulder dystocia…etc. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

  6. Terran Avatar

    My birth story started when my water broke at 7pm in multiple huge gushes of fluid at exactly 38 weeks. I had had no contractions prior to my water breaking and in fact I hardly experienced any Braxton hicks contractions either. But, within 45 minutes of my water breaking my contractions were already 2-4 minutes apart and lasting 30-60 seconds. My labor was very intense from the get go and while I initially did not want an epidural I caved 7 hours in and had one. Unfortunately it only took the edge off for about 3 hours and mostly just made me itch so badly that I couldn’t relax! When it came time to push i felt everything. I pushed for 45 minutes before my beautiful baby girl emerged almost exactly 12 hours after my water broke. I didn’t even notice myself birthing the placenta as she laid on my chest. I feel I had a relatively easy birth, but didn’t know exactly what I needed/wanted since it was my first. Next time, no epidural and I am going to move about as I please (sorry if your monitor doesn’t like my position).

  7. Meg Avatar

    Congratulations on your new little one!! I loved reading her birth story. It was similar in so many ways to the birth of my fourth, almost exactly a month before your little one! I too think my daughter was trying to set some records, or maybe just drive me crazy trying to figure things out. She was my longest pregnancy (I had my other 3 kids all at 39 weeks and this lo was 10 days late!) fastest labor (2.5 hours), most intense labor, and biggest baby by far! I also had a waterbirth. I contribute my longer pregnancy this time to the magnesium I used daily, which I did not use with my other kids. Just my theory. I also had steady but not painful contractions for a week before giving birth. Maybe this helped shorten my active labor. The night before I had my daughter I slept well until 4am, when I got up to use the bathroom. I had a stronger contraction once I got up and decided to stay up to see if more came. I showered and by 5 am decided these contractions were stronger and closer together, so I called my midwife. We got to the hospital at 6am and had my daughter at 730 am. Very intense couple hours. So happy for you and your family! I hope you have plenty of resting and bonding time!

    Ps- did your photographer make it in time?!!

  8. Hannah Burgett Avatar
    Hannah Burgett

    I had a very similar birth with #3. Not the breech part but I had proverbial labor daily from 36w6d to 41w4d and she was perfect and worth it and it was only hard work for about 2hours.

    I had proximal labor with #4/but opted for AROM induction becAuse he was so big at 40 weeks my uterus was rock hard and I couldn’t breath. Instincts said he needed to be born Asap so we went to a hospital that serves mostly Amish women and they were incredibly hands off. I ended up needing an epidural (stuck with triple peaking contractions for 6 hours and was exhausted from days of night labor). He was asynclintic ( born ear first) 3 hours later after bit of a breather. Wonderful birth.

    It is so wonderful to read other VBAC and “birth isn’t straightforward for me” stories. My births hAve all been crazy different and it is validating to hear I’m not alone. You can do all the spinning babies stuff, eat reAlly good diet, live an active lifestyle…and still have your body take its time and be as unique as the baby you’re birthing.

  9. Colleen Avatar

    I had prodromal labor with all 8 of mine and had relatively short active labor with all of them. I have been very blessed in that respect and hope the pattern continues with #9. I would love to do a home birth, but there’s no way my husband will go for it. Fortunately, we have always had wonderful hospital birth experiences.

  10. Hannah Brown Avatar
    Hannah Brown

    Wonderful birth story! I have never had a breech baby before but all three of my manors were less then 6 hours with the last one being 1 1/2 hours! I never had any pre labor signs or anything either so my labors always came out of nowhere. I was preparing for a 12 hour or more labor with my first so needless to say I was shocked when it was only 4 hours! With my last I was having no contractions when my water broke and after that it was a whirlwind! My contractions started less than a minute apart and I only pushed 2 or three times. My midwife only lived 20 minutes away and that is the only way that she made it in time. Luckily I have had amazing birth teams with all of my births. Home births are very common where I live and I have a lot of midwife friends, we are very blessed by that. Thanks for sharing your story! You are so strong and inspiring.

  11. Carmen Avatar

    Wow! That was intense! I’ve had three natural births, all in hospital, and each one was shorter than the previous. Reading this, I’m reminded that I get to do this all again in June (yay! not!), but I’ve considered the home birth option. Given the trend of coming out faster each time, I may not make it to the hospital, anyway! LOL! Congrats, Mama! Hope you are getting some well-deserved rest! 🙂

    1. Candice Avatar

      I’m due in June with my 4th too and I’m so not looking forward this again! Lol I’m doing a hospital birth though and keeping the epi option open but hoping I have one more natural birth left in me ? Best of luck!

    2. Karen Avatar

      My first was 5 hours from the time my water broke until baby in my arms (and an epidural too late really slowed things down), and my second was two hours from the time they stripped my membranes (I didn’t know better at the time) to baby in my arms. So we planned a home birth because we had no idea how quickly number 3 would arrive. I thought I might be in early labor around 5pm, but didn’t know for sure I was in labor until 6:30pm; she was out at 7:15. Yep, would not have made it to the hosptial! Midwife was there for less than 7 minutes and only had one glove on when she came flying out in two pushes! It was amazing. I hope you have a great experience too!

  12. Tamara Avatar

    Love this you’re amazing! Congratulations and great job. I’m expecting my 6th in August. You are very inspiring. My first was a C-section and I’ve had 4 VBAC’s. Unlike you, I have very short but intense labors. My issue is making to the hospital in time and my goal is to have a well supported birth team and a low intervention birth. So glad your 6th turned out the way you “imagined”.

  13. Mandy Avatar

    Congratulations on your new baby! So glad all went well. I can’t believe you were once told that if you’d get an epidural and be quiet it would be easier, that’s terrible! I delivered all my babies in a hospital, but I guess I was lucky. I always had very supportive teams of nurses and a great doctor. Wishing you and your family well as you all enjoy this crazy, wonderful new phase of your lives!

  14. Ellen Avatar

    That was quite an experience; thank you for sharing it.

    Regarding a breech presentation, you may not be aware that many chiropractors are quite skilled in moves that will help the little one get into the “normal” birth position. You might want to see what is available in your area. Unfortunately, chiropractic is a well-engineered secret.

    I wish you continued good health and happiness with your family.

    1. Wellness Mama Avatar

      Thanks Ellen 🙂 I was actually at the Chiropractor every two days from 35-weeks on… They think the position of the placenta may have been preventing her from flipping…

      1. Ellen Avatar

        I am so glad to hear that! You’re a very smart woman to have used that resource. Position of the placenta…..I would like to read more on that issue as it affects a breech presentation. Again, thank you so much for sharing this.

      2. Amanda Avatar

        I dont have any proof to back this up but as a Sonographer it is really common to see lower placental positions in subsequent births after a c-section . I think the placenta gets quite stuck on the scaring of the uterus and therefore does not tend to be dragged up as the uterus stretches out further with the growing bub. When it is low there is less room for the baby and may be uncomfortable perhaps causing them to stay breech.

        Wish you all the best Katie…my 4th birth was only 1.5 hours after the first 3 been 24 hours… I went into shock with how intense it was and it took a while to get over it. Take care of yourself.

        1. Wellness Mama Avatar

          Thanks so much Amanda- That’s really interesting, and I’ve wondered about this too. My last pregnancy, I did have another lower placenta, but this time it was high and anterior…

    2. Robin Avatar

      Yes I loved my chiropractor! My baby was sunny side up and after a few days of prodromal labor I went in and my chiro was able to get her to turn! Baby was born 5 hours later! (VBA2C home water birth!)

  15. Kimberly Avatar

    Wow! Congrats! I’m 16 weeks with #5 l, this just majorly built my anticipation! Birth stories are so fun to read, thanks for sharing!

  16. Andrea Avatar

    This birth story really touched my heart. I had roughly two weeks of padromal labor with both my boys, and they were both exactly 11 days past due date. With my first, I thought I was crazy and really doubted myself and was not really offered much reassurance from my midwife or anyone else for that matter. My labor with him was 45 hours with immense back labor and 3 hours of pushing. It wasn’t until my midwife was called away to another birth that things picked up. I ended up with the assistant in training (who was absolutely wonderful by the way) and she called the backup midwife. If I would have met her previously she would have been our midwife from the get. Big T was born with one hand on his head mid air in the bathroom as my husband lifted me up from sitting on the toilet backwards.

    For little t’s birth we rented a house so that we could be closer to our now new midwife (the backup from Big T). We had just moved to a town that did not have any midwives, and I had learned the importance of trusting your birth team from my first experience. We rented the house for three weeks (two weeks before the due date and one week after). Needless to say, the rental time was quickly coming to a close and I had been having padromal labor every night starting at 7pm for two weeks. We joked about naming him Seven. 🙂 We were able to get the house for one more night, but still no baby. Stress was a little high. Also, my midwife was leaving in three days for vacation and we would get passed off to the backup (ironically, my original midwife).

    We were misplaced for half a day. My midwife found three possible options for us: a comped hotel room that allowed dogs (they were with us too), a yurt with no running water, or an Olympic gold medalist’s home that wasn’t available for another day. We were waiting for the official word from her over breakfast with our dogs and stuff loaded into our Jeep Wrangler. She finally just told us to check into the hotel. We checked in and as the bell hop was walking away with our stuff she texted and said, “Do not check in. I repeat, do not check in. I have a house for you!”

    We paid the bell hop to bring our stuff back and drove to a beautiful house two doors down from hers. She walked up and down her neighborhood looking for an option for us and found a vacation rental. It was an amazing little house.

    We crashed that night and the next day she set me up with a massage and chiropractic adjustment. I got back to the house at approx 3pm and went upstairs to to the loft master bedroom to try and get Big T down for a nap. As I lay there with him contractions started. I didn’t trust them due to the padromal labor, but things ramped up fairly quickly.

    My husband peeked on us a few minutes later and I whispered, “I think I’m in labor.” He gave me a “thumbs up” and ran downstairs to whirlwind clean up the house. The next time he checked on me I was up and out of the bed. I couldn’t sit still. I wanted to take a shower but was afraid to waste hot water because I wanted to try a birthing tub this time around. My husband texted the midwife that I was in labor and she just said, “Yay!” A few minutes later my water broke on the toilet. He texted her regarding that and she asked about the color. He called at that point, because it was hard to answer that question due to how and when it happened.

    She said at that point that she had an appt to be at at 4:30 and was planning to go, but let her know if anything changed. I decided to get in the shower then because she wasn’t coming yet. Transition hit like a ton of bricks in the shower. Big T was a little worried about me, but Daddy just told him that I was doing a very good job. I told him to let the midwife know this was moving quickly. He did so and she said she would be there in 4 minutes.

    At the next contraction, I looked at my husband and said, “I just pushed.” He said, “We’d better move to the bed.” He helped me out of the shower and to the bed and a few contractions later, Daddy caught little t as my midwife was coming up the stairs. Little t was born at 4:34 (one and one half hour later). She said it was the shortest labor she had ever experienced.

    I wish you nothing but the best. I resonate with you on many levels. Enjoy your new addition.


  17. Jill Avatar

    Congratulations to you and your family Katie, loved reading your birth story, so different from my own.

  18. Corinna Avatar

    My first was 3.5 hours of active labour (luckily home birth is easily available in Ontario). I’m now pregnant with my second and I’m terrified of having a surprise “toilet baby”. Or the opposite and the baby being so big or breech i can’t have it vaginally. Did you find that the size of baby/breech position was much harder than a regular vaginal birth or only slightly worse? I had a bit of a run in with a lateral episiotomy with my first at 6lbs,1oz. So I’m actually afraid with this one, whereas i wasn’t at all with my first child.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *